What's new

Waterpump leaking

ricekrispyota

Member Number
Good morning,

I recently (a month ago) heard a grinding coming from the waterpump area of my Dodge. I replaced the waterpump and fan clutch and the grinding went away. I used the paper gasket that came with the water pump and thread sealer on the bolts. The pump did not leak for about a week of use. Two weekends ago, I did a trail run up in big bear, and after the run, found a small leak from the passenger lower bolt on the water pump. I pulled the pump and put in a new gasket, but to no avail. The leak is still there.

I read on other another site that I could have damaged the timing chain cover. What should I look for to determine if it's damaged.

When I pulled the water pump the first time, I used a tap and die set to clean the threads. Could that have damaged the threads enough to let a leak through.

Should I just use the right stuff (silicone) to seal the water pump up? Is that more reliable than the paper gaskets?

Thanks.

You didnt put RTV on both sides of the gasket ?

Yes use RTV on the cleaned bolt threads as well.

You didnt put RTV on both sides of the gasket ?

Yes use RTV on the cleaned bolt threads as well.
No. I thought the gasket was enough. Ill give that a try this weekend. Thanks

What motor?

How did the surfaces look?
5.9 Magnum. Surfaces look good. No nicks or scratches I went over them with a brand-new razor blade the last time I pulled the water pump. I may get some high grit sandpaper and see if I can smooth it out a bit more while i'm in there.

No. The water cap is not original. I replaced that did the water pump the first time.

Random, but I went thru 3 water pumps on a 4.9 ford before I realized the "new" Stant cap i put in was bad and over pressurizing the system

Fuck gaskets. R&R the pump. Clean the surfaces real damn well and then install with just RTV.

Random, but I went thru 3 water pumps on a 4.9 ford before I realized the "new" Stant cap i put in was bad and over pressurizing the system
You usually blow coolant out the heater core tube connections or blow the tanks off the rad when you over-pressurize that family of vehicles...

Top Back Refresh