What's new

Warn 4 wire control plug diagram

Dirtyjed

Samurai Ewok
Member Number
Loc
OV
Anyone have a diagram for a 4 wire Warn controller. From a EVO 10s. I accidentally ripped the wires out pulling it off in the snow and can't find the diagram online.
TIA

Warn's site usually has guides online, does this help?:

If not, then here's the link to the product page where there are more manuals:

Good luck... :beer:

Warn's site usually has guides online, does this help?:

If not, then here's the link to the product page where there are more manuals:

Good luck... :beer:
I think the Evo is a red headed step child from a seedy cocktail lounge Warn doesn't like admitting they have. I've found diagrams for 3, 5 and 7 wire, but hardly any info on the 4. All replacement controllers or cables are discontinued or out of stock. I did find that I'm eligible for a $100 recall rebate and I found a guy in Montana who still has some parts that I plan on calling.
4 prong.
3 wire.

Should be white black green.

Its the same as wiring a trailer plug.
4 wire:
Black
Red
 Green
White
1000008644.jpg

4 prong.
3 wire.

Should be white black green.

Its the same as wiring a trailer plug.

I tore in to one of these in the shop and tools thread and there's some fuckery going on. They aren't like the traditional remotes that are just powering either of the two pins for forward/reverse. I probed mine and couldn't get continuity between and two pins of the remote itself. I needs power the the little board in the remote and then I'm guessing it spits out low voltage to the contactor in the winch itself.

OP - if nobody else finds it, I can dig out my cable and tell you which pins correspond between the two ends of the cable.

Would it be possible to bypass the circuit board and just have a in and out full voltage signal?

Would it be possible to bypass the circuit board and just have a in and out full voltage signal?

Doubtful. For the standard EVO remote, the buttons are just micro buttons built in to the board. You could theoretically make a new "board" with just some simple surface mount buttons, but that'd be a hell of a lot of effort for something that probably wouldn't be reliable.

1705448601255.png

1705448607177.png

1705448776533.png

What I had talked about doing was just re-pinning the plug on winch itself to use the standard warn remote. You'd just need the 12v in to the remote and 2x 12v switched outputs.

Standard "old" warn remote on left, Evo on right.
1705448686455.png

Can't remember what the other two wires do on the 5-pin - something to do with the thermal or overload protection on the newer models.

Was wondering if you could just do something like this and bypass all the bs, straight 12v. Same thing as wanting a in cab switch.

1000006035.jpg

Oh for sure, if you want to hardwire it. I was talking along the lines of trying to maintain a wired remote.

It has a contactor similar to this:
1705454243237.png

Just feed either of those two wires 12v for forward/reverse.

I haven't opened up the winch itself yet, only the remote. Stealing this pic from another thread....
1705454304884.png

My thought was to repin the plug and bypass that control module, which is now worthless because they took away the wireless controller, and just run power and the two remote wires from the plug straight to the contactor and use the old style remote, which I already have. Or, swap the plug over to the one HF uses on the Badlands stuff and they you could use the $40 HF wireless remote.

Thread I found that explains the wiring and how to wire it for in cab and wireless control.
It sounds like the remote and microprocessor are actually paired at the factory so I don't know if you could use another controller.

I found a replacement cable for $40 to solve my problem for now.

Thread I found that explains the wiring and how to wire it for in cab and wireless control.
It sounds like the remote and microprocessor are actually paired at the factory so I don't know if you could use another controller.

I found a replacement cable for $40 to solve my problem for now.

Holy shit that's stupid if it's true for the wired connection.

A friend of mine bought one too....now I'm going to have to experiment with swapping wired remote to see what happens.

On second thought, I don't believe that's accurate for the wired side because a bunch of us got sent a second wired only remote for some reason that nobody's been able to explain and they didn't come with the receiver module or anything.

Maybe the "new" wired only remote bypasses the fuckery or something. 🤷‍♂️

Did you register the winch when you bought it?
There is a recall on the batteries in the original remote and maybe Warn hooked you up?

I think the pairing of the remote might have more to do with the wireless feature.
I know that when I finally found parts to replace the hand control, and not just the cable, it came with a board to swap out inside the winch.

Holy shit that's stupid if it's true for the wired connection.

A friend of mine bought one too....now I'm going to have to experiment with swapping wired remote to see what happens.
ugh ?

You just need to send 12v to the blue or yellow wires on the solenoid. Easiest shit ever.

How is that stupid ?

Did you register the winch when you bought it?
There is a recall on the batteries in the original remote and maybe Warn hooked you up?

I think the pairing of the remote might have more to do with the wireless feature.
I know that when I finally found parts to replace the hand control, and not just the cable, it came with a board to swap out inside the winch.

Yes and no. I think Warn is completely confused on what they're doing with these things.

A bunch of us bought them with the rebate around the holidays. There was also a separate claim for the remote thing where they were supposed to send you a $100 (I think) gift card to use in the warn store to make up for the lack of wireless remote.

But the winches that were being shipped at that time already had a modified remote where the batteries and wireless module had been removed. But then we all started getting a second remote in the mail. :confused:

I suspect that those of us that bought winches with already modified remotes weren't eligible for the store credit but warn got confused or something changed in their response to the recall and they just sent out new remotes instead. Still waiting to see if anyone actually gets the gift card.

The pairing part for wireless makes total sense, but that thread that was linked implied the pairing is for wired too so the module IN the winch had to match the remote being used, even if wireless. I already said I don't but that, but that's what they were claiming.

ugh ?

You just need to send 12v to the blue or yellow wires on the solenoid. Easiest shit ever.

How is that stupid ?

Read the comments again :homer:. I was responding to what the person in that thread was claiming - that you need to have a matching module in the winch that's paired to the remote, even for wired use - that's fucking stupid. And like a already said, I have my doubts if that's actually true, but if it is, it's a shit design. Just because it ca be easily "fixed" by cracking it open and bypassing it, doesn't change my opinion that it's dumb.

Top Back Refresh