What's new

Vehicle Shopping

SomeGuy

Awesome, Busted.
Member Number
Loc
Canada
This is going to be the strangest vehicle cross shopping post ever....

We owned a 2008 Toyota Rav4 V6 AWD Limited that got written off last week after someone blew through a stop sign and my wife went into the side of them (nothing she could do at all, not at fault, other witnesses said she had no chance, etc. and thankfully she wasn't hurt). Insurance has paid out (a healthy amount too, more than we could have sold it for since they kicked in sales tax to the settlement) already and we had been planning on replacing the Rav4 before Covid hit anyway, have money set aside, but aren't in a huge rush as we are both working from home still and barely driving. We also own a 2016 Lexus NX200t F-Sport, I have typically been driving the Lexus, my wife the Toyota, although I probably get the new vehicle and she gets the Lexus.

Problem is deciding wtf to get and the list of what we're considering is all over the place, we have cash to buy any of these without hurting our financial situation and would be buying new. So here goes...

Porsche Macan GTS - most expensive of course, but amazing all around vehicle, hard to stomach dropping $100k CAD on a vehicle.
Toyota Rav4 Prime - apparently won't be able to get our hands on it for over a year, probably out.
Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road - not as sporty/performance, but really practical and I do a lot of DIY so having a truck would be handy.
Lexus IS350 - facelift version is due out in a month or two, decent performance, reliable, etc.
Mazda CX-5 Signature - I've owned Mazda's before (had a speed 3 and a regular 3 before that), they're decent enough.
Mazda 3 Turbo - just released, but similar to my old speed 3 in some ways, decent 250hp and AWD now, but kinda done with economy cars (hence no golf or wrx or whatnot).
Ford Bronco Badlands - not out and I doubt we'll get our hands on one until this time next year at the earliest, wife loves the look though (she's always wanted a wrangler but they're such POS's, even the brand new JL Sahara Unlimited we test drove was awful).

So yeah, as you can see, all over the map, cars, SUVs, Trucks...the big requirements are reliable (hence no bmw/merc/audi or much domestic), will last 10 years, decent performance (e.g. 250+ hp, not some wimpy ass 4 banger), good in the winter in Canada, and generally something enjoyable to drive. I'm not the kind of person to get the latest flavour of the month and flip it in a year or two, and I'm not a hellcat or mustang or other douche bag "bro" type vehicle with big rimz kind of person.

What am I forgetting that's out there that would be a good fit? Or should I just get one of the ones on the list? If the Porsche was $20-30k less, I'd have probably already ordered one...but it's a big jump from our Lexus ($60k CAD) to the Porsche and that just seems like so much for a vehicle, though the Lexus did at the time too.

98e2c9cbba89a9803e1c8b4b14bf68d5.jpg

My brother has a CX-5 and its a nice ride. Newer versions have even more features. Lots of room and comfy for both driver and passenger and I am 6'4" and 300lb.

ETA: Use teh money you save over the Porsche and more $$ cars and take your wife on a nice trip or buy more guns/ammo or a SxS or something

If a Tacoma is on the table check out the TRD Pro too. I had the pleasure of buying the 4runner version for my ex wife last year as part of our divorce settlement and got to drive it for a week or so in the winter, it was awesome. I have a TRD off road tacoma and the difference was very noticeable bombing around on back roads. They are the most expensive of the Tacoma's and 4runners though.

Last edited:
How long do you plan on keeping it? If you are anywhere in Canada that throws salt down in the winter, a mazda would be the last thing on my list. They all seem to rot out underneath in a few short years.
My pick? Tacoma, or maybe a 4runner.

My brother has a CX-5 and its a nice ride. Newer versions have even more features. Lots of room and comfy for both driver and passenger and I am 6'4" and 300lb.

ETA: Use teh money you save over the Porsche and more $$ cars and take your wife on a nice trip or buy more guns/ammo or a SxS or something

Not traveling anywhere these days, mentioned in other threads but my wife is going through breast cancer treatment right now (ya, found this year, fuck 2020), is done her chemo but we won't buy a vehicle until after her surgery in a couple weeks and that we know we're in the clear there. Either way, no travel and even then, we aren't coming close to wiping out our fun money for anything else we want to do even buying the Porsche. Extra $$ saved would likely go as a lump sum on our mortgage if anything (not huge, will have it paid off in 7-8 years anyway).

If a Tacoma is on the table check out the TRD Pro too. I had the pleasure of buying the 4runner version for my ex wife last year as part of our divorce settlement and got to drive it for a week or so in the winter, it was awesome. I have a TRD off road tacoma and the difference was very noticeable bombing around on back roads. They are the most expensive of the Tacoma's and 4runners though.

Is the TRD Pro that much better than the TRD Off Road? From everything I've read, the Pro just gives you some minor suspension but mostly appearance upgrades? I can imagine the 4Runner would be a lot nicer on the back roads than the Tacoma in any trim.

How long do you plan on keeping it? If you are anywhere in Canada that throws salt down in the winter, a mazda would be the last thing on my list. They all seem to rot out underneath in a few short years.
My pick? Tacoma, or maybe a 4runner.

The goal is 10 years...we are in a salt the shit out of everything part of Canada. My speed 3 after 7 years when I got rid of it was still in great shape underneath, but I kept on top of rust proofing and maintenance.

Generally...the Tacoma still the mid-size truck to get? Not the Ranger or Colorado/Canyon right?

Is the TRD Pro that much better than the TRD Off Road? From everything I've read, the Pro just gives you some minor suspension but mostly appearance upgrades? I can imagine the 4Runner would be a lot nicer on the back roads than the Tacoma in any trim.

Tacoma Pro gets fox 2.5 internal bypasses, skid plates, trd exhaust, small lift and AT tires. 4runner is kinda apples to oranges but I really noticed the suspension.

Tacoma Pro gets fox 2.5 internal bypasses, skid plates, trd exhaust, small lift and AT tires. 4runner is kinda apples to oranges but I really noticed the suspension.

That doesn't really sound like it's worth an extra $15k (yes that's roughly the difference in out the door price on a TRD Off Road and TRD Pro) and if I get the Tacoma, I would want to get the access cab and longer bed. We almost never ever use our back seats in the vehicles and might as well have the extra foot of length in the bed where we could use it for stuff.

Funny that everyone on a 4x4 site would recommend the Tacoma, what else should I have expected? haha

That doesn't really sound like it's worth an extra $15k (yes that's roughly the difference in out the door price on a TRD Off Road and TRD Pro) and if I get the Tacoma, I would want to get the access cab and longer bed. We almost never ever use our back seats in the vehicles and might as well have the extra foot of length in the bed where we could use it for stuff.

Funny that everyone on a 4x4 site would recommend the Tacoma, what else should I have expected? haha

No shit, I didn't realize it was that big of a difference. Aftermarket would be half that tops.

what about an audi q5?
Lots of the same stuff as the macan, just not as insane, and not as pricey.

my brothers q7 hauls ass much faster than a 6K lb SUV should.

It takes a special kind of stupid to pick a Tacoma/4Runner over literally anything else if salt is an issue.

I was pretty impressed looking underneath fords, maybe just out here, the exhaust would be rotted to all fuck and maybe a couple of bolts, but everything else still looked good from factory coatings

I was pretty impressed looking underneath fords, maybe just out here, the exhaust would be rotted to all fuck and maybe a couple of bolts, but everything else still looked good from factory coatings

mom has a 2014, it's rusty as shit underneath already. The insides of the door seams are starting to rust as well.
the exhaust had broken in the middle because it only has two exhaust hangers and an unsupported muffler in the middle.

my eurotrash piles of shit are 10 years older and still have their factory exhausts.

not impressed with Ford's corrosion prevention.

Reactions: DMG
mom has a 2014, it's rusty as shit underneath already. The insides of the door seams are starting to rust as well.
the exhaust had broken in the middle because it only has two exhaust hangers and an unsupported muffler in the middle.

my eurotrash piles of shit are 10 years older and still have their factory exhausts.

not impressed with Ford's corrosion prevention.

well, that sucks to hear :laughing: must be the difference between just living next to the sea and bringing the ocean to the highways

well, that sucks to hear :laughing: must be the difference between just living next to the sea and bringing the ocean to the highways

Yeah, I hated Minnesota for that reason. Couldn't drive 3 blocks from a carwash before my black Denali turned white with spray. Damn thing still runs awesome, but the underside that had very minor spots of surface rust after 10 years in MT turned into a nasty pile of shit after 2 years living on the MN border.

If I were you I'd go test drive the Chevy and Ford options, but they probably cost as much as the damn Euro cars for you. My wife ended up with a AWD Traverse with the tow package. Hauls the boat, quick enough, gas mileage is fine, and it was cheap. Even in LT trim it has heated seats, and leather dash and wheel. Plastics and trim feel way nicer than 10 year old GM stuff. Only weird thing is the "road noise insulation" package is an absolute must to not feel like you're driving a beer can.

My wife had a fancy 18 hybrid rav 4 and it's pretty unbelievable how well it drives and does everything it's supposed to so effortlessly. Feels more like driving behind the screen of a video game then real life. At first I didn't like the complete lack of mechanical connection feel in the steering/gas/breaks but it is growing on me. I really dont think you could go wrong with a new one. They are also at the top of the cheapest vehicle to own lists.

Reactions: DMG
I have a lot of driving time in a Macan. I don't think I would want to own one. Nice car but it did not scream long term reliability.

Audi’s are massive pieces of shit

they said the same thing about BMW, and here I am, with a 160K mile one that's been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

take care of it and it's not a problem.
They are not cars you can just ignore problems on and expect things to turn out well.

Look at a VW Atlas with the V6.

Atlas is a highlander competitor isn't it? Bit big...

what about an audi q5?
Lots of the same stuff as the macan, just not as insane, and not as pricey.

my brothers q7 hauls ass much faster than a 6K lb SUV should.

Yeah, SQ5 would be similar and around 20k less than a Macan GTS. I've driven a couple Q5's and not really a fan of the Audi seats and very understeery feel.

It takes a special kind of stupid to pick a Tacoma/4Runner over literally anything else if salt is an issue.

What vehicle's don't rust in a salty world? I had heard about the frame issues though.

Quite possibly the gayest list of vehicles I've ever seen. Throw a dart, it doesnt matter.

I'm glad you could lend your homosexual opinion to the matter.

My wife had a fancy 18 hybrid rav 4 and it's pretty unbelievable how well it drives and does everything it's supposed to so effortlessly. Feels more like driving behind the screen of a video game then real life. At first I didn't like the complete lack of mechanical connection feel in the steering/gas/breaks but it is growing on me. I really dont think you could go wrong with a new one. They are also at the top of the cheapest vehicle to own lists.

The Rav4 Prime was definitely on the list, it has enough power and the plug in hybrid pure electric drive whatnot would have meant almost never filling the thing up. Sad they won't be available anytime soon.

I have a lot of driving time in a Macan. I don't think I would want to own one. Nice car but it did not scream long term reliability.

What was wrong with it? What year of Macan? I know about the older transfer case issues...

I have a 2018 Colorado ZR2. Bought it new and have had zero issues with it. Its a diesel so it's not that sporty but gets great fuel mileage, although I've heard the V6 is not too bad. For a few grand more you could get the AEV Bison version.

IMG_20181011_180528[229].jpg

Top Back Refresh