What's new

Vehicle Shopping

The Macan seemed to have software issues. Things like the lane assist would turn itself on and off. Headlights would adjust and then they wouldn’t. all of the accessories in the car were continuously changing their settings on their own. I didn’t find the Porsche user manual very intuitive on figuring it back out. The gas door wouldn’t open, there was literally a string in the trunk you had to pull to open the gas door. Keep in mind this was a new car at the time.

I know those are all little things, but it wasn’t very confidence inspiring. that car was traded in for a new Mercedes SUV which exhibited none of those issues.

The Macan seemed to have software issues. Things like the lane assist would turn itself on and off. Headlights would adjust and then they wouldn’t. all of the accessories in the car were continuously changing their settings on their own. I didn’t find the Porsche user manual very intuitive on figuring it back out. The gas door wouldn’t open, there was literally a string in the trunk you had to pull to open the gas door. Keep in mind this was a new car at the time.

I know those are all little things, but it wasn’t very confidence inspiring. that car was traded in for a new Mercedes SUV which exhibited none of those issues.

I've heard stories of Porsche's like that, weird glitchy behaviour that is throughout the vehicle. Seems like you either suffer from those or you don't and it's one out of hundreds, not every one. Those are the sort of problems you lemon law a car for. Certainly not confidence inspiring through, you're right.

It’s Canada. Get a Prius and forget it. I can hook you up with a cab company that sells their used Prius cheap

Did you read this thread? https://irate4x4.com/chit-chat/143534-fiat-jls-and-the-new-immobilizer-feature

We spent the next hour trying to get the computer to stop freaking out so it can be driven or towed down to Silverton. Disconnected the battery, reconnected. Looked for crash switches. The computer would not let go. Fiat made it so if it's been rolled, it has to be dragged up onto a roll back with all 4 wheels locked up, and dropped off at a dealership.

So if we pushed on the brakes, the pedal would go to the floor like it had no brakes. But when we would tow it, the traction control would kick in and stop the tires from turning. We dragged it down the mountain anyway. It would roll down the road for a second then the brake lights would come on and the tires would lock up with no input from the brake pedal. We dragged it about 5 miles like that to get it where a tow truck could pick it up.

I don't know if a JK is the same but I'm on a mission to find out what is the first year the computer system has that much nonsense to it. Another thing I forgot to mention. As soon as it went over it sent out an SOS with injury to the nearest search and rescue. So we're working on it when two suvs with flashing lights on pull up looking for injured persons. Not a good sight for what looked like cops to find. Luckily they had no interest in helping once they found out there were no injuries.”

TL;DR? Jeeps are now so complicated that they can’t easily be driven or towed off the trail if you piss off the computer. Since we normally take these things where tow trucks can’t exactly get to, I see it as an enormous problem that’s going to cause trail closure issues down the road.

Because it's exactly why I posted a nice, shiny, 45 year old vehicle.

If I had the cash sitting in the bank to buy a new vehicle- I wouldn't.

I'm not really sold on the new Tacomas yet. My buddy that really wanted one is actually driving a rental right now and said he isn't impressed. I hate that they use a fucking plastic bumper like a damn car, but I guess that's an easy enough fix with something aftermarket. Fwiw, you can get the crew cab with the longer bed. Although I agree, don't get the crew cab if you won't use it, everyone thinks they need a crew cab these days.
I kinda like the idea of the Ranger, although they kinda fucked up the styling, but I don't think think it's any better or worse than the Tacoma. They have some cool options and use a turbo 4 cyl instead of the 3.5 v6 in the taco. Rumors are that the bronco 7 spd may be available in the next gen ranger also. The taco already offers a 6 spd though.

It's hard not to jump over the midsized truck market to the 1/2 tons. Usually about the same price and same or better mpg. You can get a high trim F150 with the same hp specs as the raptor if that does anything for you. 450/510 in a ~5k truck will move out well.

I get that a lot of guys don't have rock crawlers anymore but, It still blows my mind that people are on this board that only own a fucking rav4 and a Lexus

I'm not really sold on the new Tacomas yet. My buddy that really wanted one is actually driving a rental right now and said he isn't impressed. I hate that they use a fucking plastic bumper like a damn car, but I guess that's an easy enough fix with something aftermarket. Fwiw, you can get the crew cab with the longer bed. Although I agree, don't get the crew cab if you won't use it, everyone thinks they need a crew cab these days.
I kinda like the idea of the Ranger, although they kinda fucked up the styling, but I don't think think it's any better or worse than the Tacoma. They have some cool options and use a turbo 4 cyl instead of the 3.5 v6 in the taco. Rumors are that the bronco 7 spd may be available in the next gen ranger also. The taco already offers a 6 spd though.

It's hard not to jump over the midsized truck market to the 1/2 tons. Usually about the same price and same or better mpg. You can get a high trim F150 with the same hp specs as the raptor if that does anything for you. 450/510 in a ~5k truck will move out well.

I get that a lot of guys don't have rock crawlers anymore but, It still blows my mind that people are on this board that only own a fucking rav4 and a Lexus

Yeah, I just don't want a huge vehicle...like an F-150 is all well and good but good grief they are soooo big these days. A raptor would be fun though lol

Haha I originally joined pirate because of some shop thread I came across, stuck around because you idiots aren't as butt hurt as usual forums. I've never owned a proper off roader myself, but growing up my uncle had a decent wheeler he took me in a couple times and my grandpa had an old school jeep, would take me out on the forestry roads and trails to collect minnows from the traps. So been around that sorta stuff at least, and obv the usual ATVing and shit.

Yeah, I just don't want a huge vehicle...like an F-150 is all well and good but good grief they are soooo big these days. A raptor would be fun though lol

Haha I originally joined pirate because of some shop thread I came across, stuck around because you idiots aren't as butt hurt as usual forums. I've never owned a proper off roader myself, but growing up my uncle had a decent wheeler he took me in a couple times and my grandpa had an old school jeep, would take me out on the forestry roads and trails to collect minnows from the traps. So been around that sorta stuff at least, and obv the usual ATVing and shit.

We have a 2015 F150 and 97 F350, they're about the same width. New Tacoma is much bigger than the old mini trucks, they're not full size, but not that far off.

My wife drives the F150 every day, I'm sure you can figure it out :flipoff2:

Hahah I might as well chop my balls off while I'm at it and grow a man bun.

Hinestly, the first t8me I saw them for sale, I wondered how desperate someone must be to buy a used taxi. They don'tusualky sell them until they are dead.

Sooo, I think I'm going to do the Macan. Going to take a serious look at start seeing what I can get for pricing out of the dealers, but if that all works out, I will order one.

lifted 911? Looks better then that other 4 door thing they have.

Sure...it's a compact performance SUV. I went bold on colour though, will be like this:
image_29918.jpg

I have a 2018 Colorado ZR2. Bought it new and have had zero issues with it. Its a diesel so it's not that sporty but gets great fuel mileage, although I've heard the V6 is not too bad. For a few grand more you could get the AEV Bison version.

Nothing to add to the thread, but this is a sharp looking truck!

Nothing to add to the thread, but this is a sharp looking truck!

My son has a 2016 Colorado and I far preferred driving and using it over the 2012 Tacoma that I sold. The Colorado drives and rides great. If I didn't have to own a dually I'd be in an upper model Colorado or Canyon.

Top Back Refresh