What's new

Vehicle Shipping

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
There were 2-3 members on the other site ... years ago that did this. You guys here?

Or who have you used before? I've tried a few of the ones I see in searches but they just want all my info before a quote and I can't even enter the right vehicle in....

From where to where?

You really should road trip that bitch (unimog?) and document it here and all the other IBB media outlets. You want exposure........ BAM there ya go.

Extra internet points if you leave the Budwisier wrap on it and plaster the rest of it with IBB stickers and drive it with a mullet wig on, with Gregj50!!!!! as your copilot. :smokin:

Last edited:
From where to where?

You really should road trip that bitch (unimog?)

Vegas to St. Louis

Still trying to decide on pulling the trigger ... but it's not even streetable. It would be an epic drive but as it sits it's a run down trail rig. I wish I had the time to go out and work on it to a point it could be driven back ... at 40-45 mph lol

Vegas to St. Louis

Still trying to decide on pulling the trigger ... but it's not even streetable. It would be an epic drive but as it sits it's a run down trail rig. I wish I had the time to go out and work on it to a point it could be driven back ... at 4-45 mph lol

Wasn't one of the guys Chris Ridgeway ? I think he's on Facebook.

If you can get it on and off a normal flatbed, it would probably be fairly cheap.

My buddy had a smaller skidder shipped from CO to CA on a step deck and it was only like $1500 iirc.

Vegas to St. Louis

Still trying to decide on pulling the trigger ... but it's not even streetable. It would be an epic drive but as it sits it's a run down trail rig. I wish I had the time to go out and work on it to a point it could be driven back ... at 40-45 mph lol

Does it run?

I use a broker and the $100 fee was worth every penny. Especially when they didnt show on time and I needed to book another truck.

at 1500 miles I'd figure 1000-1200 if it fits on a car carrier. A flat bed usually cost me $2.25 a mile unless I was able to fill the whole truck.

Vegas to St. Louis

Don’t be a wuss. Fly out and I’ll drive back with you.

I need a vacation.

I might be able to do it on my next off rotation.

I get off in a week.

Sounds like an episode of Unsolved Murder Mystery, Irate4x4 founder found dead, he was nekkid tied to a stump in the deep dark woods.:flipoff2:

:eek:

it does run enough to trailer it.

if it ran well enough to drive on the road I’d leave it there till KoH. As it was mentioned earlier it would be perfect to drive, document and get traffic here. Who doesn’t want to drive from W NV to the Lou at 40mph with no top, windshield in the winter. We’d need a team for a couple of days to try and get it road worthy. That also sounds fun.

i’ve thought about those scenarios for days but I just can’t justify the time away from home next week. Call me paranoid or silly but I prefer to be back and close to home and my family late next week.

if it ran well enough to drive on the road I’d leave it there till KoH. As it was mentioned earlier it would be perfect to drive, document and get traffic here. Who doesn’t want to drive from W NV to the Lou at 40mph with no top, windshield in the winter. We’d need a team for a couple of days to try and get it road worthy. That also sounds fun.

i’ve thought about those scenarios for days but I just can’t justify the time away from home next week. Call me paranoid or silly but I prefer to be back and close to home and my family late next week.

what about storing it with a irate out here and picking it up at koh?

what about storing it with a irate out here and picking it up at koh?

I totally would if it ran. After talking about this one with a buddy he went and bought one in UT and is having it delivered to KoH. It's a really nice street legal one though.

This one needs a lot
  • radiator leaks
  • engine was dripping good after test drive, the guy that drove it for me said rear main, owner says head gasket or oil filter
  • socks are shot
  • all fluids need replaced
  • tires are shot
  • the rim centers were cut and manually offset, one wobbles at speed on the road
  • it's not street legal ... the most obvious thing being it has no signals .. I actually never asked if the headlights even work lol
  • It heeds the wrap removed and and IBB one put on ...
and thats what I know about ... and thats more than I could ask somebody to do for me .....

I've always wanted one, I need it at my house so I can sit, drink some beers and look at it. I built a damn chicken coop in my shop last winter .... I need something like this for this one lol :lmao:

I'd be interested in doing it also if I was off work. I've never been east of San Antonio.

Will it fit on a uhaul trailer? For those who think that ridiculous, I hauled a cucv 5/4 ton Chevy on one and it actually fit perfect and worked great. It's always nice to now haul an empty trails 1000s of miles :laughing:

I'd be interested in doing it also if I was off work. I've never been east of San Antonio.

Will it fit on a uhaul trailer? For those who think that ridiculous, I hauled a cucv 5/4 ton Chevy on one and it actually fit perfect and worked great. It's always nice to now haul an empty trails 1000s of miles :laughing:

Hadn't thought about that ... just checked and thats stupid $$$$
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.59.00 PM.png

I used these fellows. Never met them. Called, set it up, got truck. Would use them. C D Enterprises 901-218-1907

You totally are the right guy to captain this ship of fools.

Hadn't thought about that ... just checked and thats stupid $$$$

The trucks get expensive quick, pay per mile, plus 5mpg if you're lucky.

I've heard they won't rent the 1/2 ton pick ups for 1 way trips either. Although I know hertz rents trucks, then you could grab a uhaul trailer. Probably still not very cost effective.

UShip, avoid the brokers. If enclosed is needed plan further ahead to get more bids from independent outfits.

I tried to use two of the guys from the old site and their prices were always fuck off prices, like double or more of independent on UShip.

As a former transporter, I can give you some insight on to why they are more expensive. Those alleged Independents you are finding on u-ship are not Independents at all, rather they are the large vehicle transport companies that are trying to fill all their transporters going across the country. The biggest name on uShip would be Montway, and they love to schedule more than they can handle at discount rates, only to leave the shipper stuck with a vehicle they cannot move for weeks to months. the independent guys have to cover all of their costs, plus make at least some profit... And it costs around $1 per mile to operate commercially these days. With changes in regulations, even a guy driving a pickup pulling a trailer is subject to hours of service rules and can only drive 11 hours per day. This means he must charge more in order to survive. the independent is also paying $800 a month for liability insurance alone, plus however much their inland marine cargo rider costs. If the job takes a week, that load's share is $200.

Another thing to consider is the fact that most Independents you are finding will transport in an enclosed trailer, rather than on an open auto transport. This service also costs more to provide, as it uses more fuel and the equipment costs more.

For those saying to avoid brokers, that would be a mistake. You can actually strike a deal with a broker to ship it for a set dollar amount... And whatever amount they can get it shipped for less can be their profit. They will sell the load hardcore at a lower rate in order to make more money off of what you gave them. For example, last year my friend had a non-operational Land cruiser sent from Southeastern Ohio to me in Minnesota for $600... That was his cost to a broker. How much did the broker pay the transporter? The world may never know... but it's 825 miles door to door.

Happen to know what that mog weighs?

As a former transporter, I can give you some insight on to why they are more expensive. Those alleged Independents you are finding on u-ship are not Independents at all, rather they are the large vehicle transport companies that are trying to fill all their transporters going across the country. The biggest name on uShip would be Montway, and they love to schedule more than they can handle at discount rates, only to leave the shipper stuck with a vehicle they cannot move for weeks to months. the independent guys have to cover all of their costs, plus make at least some profit... And it costs around $1 per mile to operate commercially these days. With changes in regulations, even a guy driving a pickup pulling a trailer is subject to hours of service rules and can only drive 11 hours per day. This means he must charge more in order to survive. the independent is also paying $800 a month for liability insurance alone, plus however much their inland marine cargo rider costs. If the job takes a week, that load's share is $200.

Another thing to consider is the fact that most Independents you are finding will transport in an enclosed trailer, rather than on an open auto transport. This service also costs more to provide, as it uses more fuel and the equipment costs more.

For those saying to avoid brokers, that would be a mistake. You can actually strike a deal with a broker to ship it for a set dollar amount... And whatever amount they can get it shipped for less can be their profit. They will sell the load hardcore at a lower rate in order to make more money off of what you gave them. For example, last year my friend had a non-operational Land cruiser sent from Southeastern Ohio to me in Minnesota for $600... That was his cost to a broker. How much did the broker pay the transporter? The world may never know... but it's 825 miles door to door.

Pretty much all of this. People have no clue what a cut throat, bullshit industry trucking is. Car hauling is a racket I'll never get into either. I don't even know anyone (trucking co or broker) to call to try and get it moved.

​​

Interesting, thanks. Yea I had one uship cancel because it was originally bid with an enclosed hauler.

Happen to know what that mog weighs?

A stock one according the interwebs is 5732 Lbs, this one has had the bed lobbed off but the cab extended and a rollcage added so I bet somewhat slightly less that stock, It also has a new extra set of wheels & tires at about 425Lbs per ... so best guess ... 7,432 Lbs ?!?!?

I have the wife’s Yukon and an 18' dual axle car hauler I was going to take out there to get it if need be ....

I was shipping a classic and needed enclosed. They were definitely independent husband wife pickup truck enclosed trailer. I shipped AL -> WA then back a few years later. It was $1800 out, $2200 back.

The one time I accepted a brokered bid for enclosed it was a clapped out Mexican semi that showed up with a enclosed two piece that was not enclosed on the bottom and all the cars were covered in road grime inside, I turned him away and got my money back from Uship and ran it again for only independent.

If he just needs open transport then using the brokers will be fine.

Top Back Refresh