What's new

V10 love?

So I've been driving this thing around base while im waiting for plates in the mail. I've noticed that the RPM doesn't drop very fast and it makes floating gears on the up shift quite slow.

At first I was thinking its just a strange trait of the V10. Then on a 2-3 shift the RPM just sat at like 2800 for a good 10 seconds. So now I'm thinking somethings not right.

IAC valve? Sticking throttle body? TPS? Accelerator? Something else? It's not throwing any codes.

Got all loaded up for my move from VA to WA.

Slight detour to NH so kids can see my parents before departing to the west coast.

It's going to be a long, expensive trip. Haha.

Lots of foot on the floor is 3rd and 4th. One of the bigger hills I was floored in second, almost 4k RPM, and down to about 45mph.

20230616_121037.jpg

20230616_181028.jpg
20230616_190006.jpg

I think v10 love comes down to the rear axle ratio and trans tuning.

Who is good with 2v v10 4r100 tuning?

exactly how i drive my 6.2l, and about the same mpg at similar weight too. mine got the 4.30gears iirc yours does too.

i'd try level out the trailer a little more if thats a torsion axle. maybe its just the pic?

i'd bet it would be more expensive trip in a diesel. everywhere we go the diesel guys get slightly better mpg, but usually pay more in fuel

Last edited:
exactly how i drive my 6.2l, and about the same mpg at similar weight too. mine got the 4.30gears iirc yours does too.

i'd try level out the trailer a little more if thats a torsion axle. maybe its just the pic?
Yeah 4.30s

And yeah. Torsion. I plan on moving the hitch up 1 hole in the shank.

Need to find a bolt locally first though, as I may have overloaded the tounge weight in the past.

20230619_104339.jpg

what was the trick? just slow and steady. mines in a RV with 41000 miles on it 2002.
I used a I think a 2.5 foot ratchet and just pulled smooth. They were tight and it took some effort but it worked. I think just being smooth with the pull is what got me through. This was also 4 (I think) years ago now

I used a I think a 2.5 foot ratchet and just pulled smooth. They were tight and it took some effort but it worked. I think just being smooth with the pull is what got me through. This was also 4 (I think) years ago now
makes since. i was just reading some and 2003 engines may not have the same headaches as previous years

seems like everyone says 5star tuning. but i'd just leave it alone or do gears. i'm very comfortable holding a peddle to the floor.

i think gearing is a hard choice. my first 6.2 had 373, i swapped to 456. the current truck with factory 430 gears is alot better to drive. 456 where annoying when not towing, but i also didn't run a tune so maybe that had something to do with it. imho- the 430s are perfect fit for the 6speed trans and 34-35" tires. i tow a 35ft fifth very similar weight to ops load. holds 6th gear plenty fine in the flats. of course i have no experience with gearing with the 5sp trans.

granite- leveling the trailer is a bit nit picky, but i have seen a number of the torsion axles stress crack at the mounts when not level and near max load on long trips. weight distribution is about what i shoot for, im a little heavier on the drive and a little lighter on the trailer.

But it's usable with a load?

I was just curious if super deep gearing would be a good idea if od is basically useless anyway.
Yeah, it's fine if the terrain is flat.

I assume I will use it plenty from OH through MT.

Honestly I'd probably use it more if I was cruising above 70, RPMs would be a bit higher and have more power. But at 60-65 where I like to cruise the RPMs are just a little low.

I think 4.88s would be great.

As has been said, 5 star was the go to when I was researching a few years ago. I have a 2001 F350 CC LB dually with 4.30s.
I got the 5 star tune with an 87 octane tow tune, 87 octane economy tune and some other 87 octane tune I don't recall at the moment...performance tune maybe?
I need to have them tweak my tow tune as I don't like how it won't upshift if there is much of a load on the engine. I actually run the economy tune when I am towing, because it will upshift like I want it to. I think I'll also have them tweak the tune so it won't downshift out of OD unless I hit the button on the end of the shifter to lock it out. A lot of times it will downshift out of OD when I don't want it to.
I am towing 99% of the time when I drive it. Usually an 8K 5th wheel toyhauler with a samurai or four wheelers in it, or a 5400lb 26' gooseneck trailer hauling up to 17K in firewood logs on it.
I pretty much get 7mpg out of it no matter what I am towing. I don't drive it like a racecar and I don't mind losing some speed going uphill so I don't hold it to the floor just to maintain speed. Towing my smaller 13.5' tandem axle bumper pull car hauler trailer empty or with some 4 wheelers on it I can sometimes get 9-10ish out of it...but usually 8-9ish. I usually run 65-70mph when towing. Anything less it seems to take the engine out of the powerband and it seems to struggle a lot more to hold speed.

Top Back Refresh