What's new

UTV winches on light weight rigs

Narrowing is easy :D

Also an option, need to find one that isn't priced like gold for that. How wide did yours end up?

Last edited:
I cut 3" off the drum and could cut even more. IIRC narrow winches have 4" narrower drums compared to regular winches.
I think mine is around 18" wide. Warn 9.0rc is 16.8" wide

Standard M8000:
D1ZVf2s.png

9.0rc:
YB8qmYP.png

Yep. Super easy to carry a 50’ extension, but that’s not nearly as handy as having it on the spool.
I like putting less than max rope on my winches, like 30 feet on atv winches.

It's really nice to easily be able to empty the drum for full strength, and also not have to worry about and baby sit the line that wants to pile up on just one side.

I happily keep lengths of extension rope separate.

The warm 2500 pro on my wife's was sort of disappointing when I tried to use it one time. The cart was wedged between two trees and high centered but still it wouldn't pull and stalled out.

That's a 2500 on a sxs with a sxs battery but I was not impressed, maybe that's not fair to for your use?
She has the MavSport Trail right?
I've got the XRC and when I ordered the machine went with the 3500 lb warn.. and I am still not all that impressed. It will drag around the machine on wet leaves and thats about it, unless it has a snatch block on it. I agree that its a bit to do with amperage source. I've seen some guys doing dual battery upgrades in these things.

I've got the XRC and when I ordered the machine went with the 3500 lb warn.. and I am still not all that impressed. It will drag around the machine on wet leaves and thats about it, unless it has a snatch block on it. I agree that its a bit to do with amperage source. I've seen some guys doing dual battery upgrades in these things.
Not Sport just Trail, but yeah should be similar weights, slightly less I imagine.
I upgraded to the big battery "30" from the OEM 20?

Thats a good point. Sxs's have shit for charging and pretty minimal batteries stock.

Drudging up this thread, but I’ve been reading into the UTV winch stuff for a mildly built Samurai and thought I’d share. Currently have an old 1.5HP 5000lb Harbor Freight with cheapo synth 1/4” line. Haven’t really used it. Not sure how the 5% duty cycle compares to other winches.

Read some of my old JP magazines with the Project Hatari CJ6. They took it over the rubicon in fairly stock condition with an old narrow drum warn 6k. Per the article that winch had a 2.1hp motor with a 156:1 gear ratio and 50ft of steel cable. A stock CJ6 weighs around 2400lbs, 400lbs more than a stock Sammy but probably close to what I'm at with bumpers and add ons

By comparison, the Rough Country 6500lb UTV winch has a 2.7 hp motor and is geared 192:1.

I pulled the trigger on an Amazon Warehouse used one that was about $220. We’ll see if I regret it?

Runva 9.5XS if you want an adult size winch. I just bought two at $360ea because the deal was too good to pass up.

KFI winches on Amazon if you want something light/small.

Funny you say that. I PM'd the OP about what he ended up going with and he said that he bought the narrow Runva.

feels about as fast/slow as any other winch I’ve owned. But I’ve never had a name brand winch, just Chinese or HF ones.

Dang, was hoping for more than a snails pace :laughing:

It does look decent. My viper looks a lot like the one on the right and I've busted 2 cases when the rope got bunched up just a bit. After the first time, I cut like 25' of 65' off and it still happened. At least that one looks like it would be a little tougher.

Top Back Refresh