What's new

Useless things about your day!

[486 said:
;n366147]

I keep forgetting, you the guy with the jeep name with the way rad samurai?

I cannot comment or speculate. :flipoff2:

ugh, what a night. truck ('15 F250) has really bad pulsing brakes for a couple weeks. ordered fronts. did them. those stupid retaining clips on the pads cost me an hour. but got them done. truck still shook a bit. ordered rears. came in today. figured I'd knock them out. the god damned parking brake shoes got hung up on the inside of the drum. I loosened the adjustment, but ended tearing the shoes off. with no shoes ordered, called the local place. they stayed open 5m late for me to grab them since they had them in stock.

dicked around with the shoes. finally got them installed; I freaking hate drum brake-type setups. one side done, its 8pm. well, go ahead and do the other side I guess. cranking right along, ended up tearing those shoes off too, but I had replacements. fitted those up. god damned caliper slide is frozen. probably what was causing the shimmy. torches, lubes, and a vice, finally got it free. threw it in the bench grinder on the wire wheel. lubed it all up and fitted it back together. got everything sorted.

truck stops great now. but the parking brake is all out of whack. I need to readjust it it seems. I tried backing in reverse while pumping the brakes, but it doesn't have that little arm that comes down on the star adjuster. guess I need to do it by hand. do that this weekend I guess.

30m job turns into a 4h mess. :homer:

Do you drive around with the pb on? It sounds like someone does.

I don't think I've ever actually used it. But the truck does have that hill assist dealio. It'll apply the brakes if I'm in gear on a hill. Not sure if that is off the calipers or the parking brake though.

52,000 miles on original brakes though.

no, this is just normal rust things

the backing plates rust through and then they get soaked in saltwater continuously
normal drums generally don't have this problem as bad because they have heavy stamped backing plates, parking brake rotor ones are sheetmetal

I don't think I've ever actually used it. But the truck does have that hill assist dealio. It'll apply the brakes if I'm in gear on a hill. Not sure if that is off the calipers or the parking brake though.

52,000 miles on original brakes though.

C'mon man :homer:

id like to see you in a new truck, because mechanics aren't your thing :flipoff2:

How does that not bore you? I walked in today and hit the ground running, 3 different things before I even got to what I was supposed to be working on. Next thing I knew co worker was texting if I wanted to grab lunch, get back same deal, look up it was 4:30, close enough to 5pm for the day before a long weekend.

Day's drag by when there is limited stuff, I like busy. Run around like crazy but get it all done. Days in front of the computer doing paperwork make me want to off myself. If I only have 15 minutes of work a day that I had to stretch out for 8 hrs I would go insane!

Its better at home because i have many hobbies to fill the time, it was awful when i was in the office and had to look busy for the day. I'm semi-retired as is, i did 20 years military and do courseware develepment for the navy now. You always hear about the guys that die right after retirement because they are bored, i have a butt load of hobbies so i hope that doesnt happen to me.

Happy birthday to me. Got everything I need for the Cherokee except for a compressor and winch. I do have an old york compressor, I just need to build brackets for it.

IMG_0365.jpg

Met that conwaymuddy guy today.
He looks like my older brother, just with certain bits a little more stretched out.

I encountered an adversary I hadn't really considered until this trip: the hill.
Even with only about a thousand pounds on the back my shit just did not have the snozz to keep up, got all the way down to 50 on some of the hills (and they were not very large)
No wonder you coastal scumbags are all hot on racing out your slow ass pickup trucks to get more poop outta them. Maybe I should shut the fuck up in the future about you all swapping 2.3 pinto motors into your trucks.

oh and chains were apparently misplaced
I was reefing on that fucker pretty hard with a ratchet binder on the other side too

20210402_154420.jpeg

Got a promotion to the Level 1 position I was working towards but had low expectations of getting due to company hemorrhaging money since ridership dropped 99% on our boats and SF shut down the city last year. Boss pushed for it and it got approved within 20 mins of him bringing it up. Most were surprised I was still a journeyman. Comes with a $6/hr raise:grinpimp::grinpimp:

Got a promotion to the Level 1 position I was working towards but had low expectations of getting due to company hemorrhaging money since ridership dropped 99% on our boats and SF shut down the city last year. Boss pushed for it and it got approved within 20 mins of him bringing it up. Most were surprised I was still a journeyman. Comes with a $6/hr raise:grinpimp::grinpimp:

"Oh you're still only making that, whoops sorry"
gotten that one before

Nice!

We were supposed to go to my daughters house for Easter dinner tomorrow, ten minutes after discussing what time to be there she calls us back and says her husband has been exposed to someone with the rona at work. Turns out he was expsed on Monday. He just had his second shot of the vax yesterday. I had a good friend pass away last week from the rona so I am taking it much more serious than I did before. Now we are unsure if we should go to my daughters or not! FML Poor girl was so wanting us there. I don't know what to do. My son was planning a trip home this coming weekend and wanted me to get tested before he comes, I am considering it for his sake. Strange fucking times we live in! :mad3:

Bought a used fridge for the garage yesterday. Holy fuck- how do people live. FUCKING Gross. I am 2 hrs into cleaning it and still going. The house reeked of cat piss and dog crap- only time in the last year I did not mind having a mask on. Just absolutely nauseating. I get things get dirty and things spill but Christ almighty this is like something else.

Door Headers man. You live in snow country you should know better. I hate it when people use wood in the weak direction. You can see the roof sag in your door opening. Building looks good other than that.

Naw, they're holding up fine. We got that 40" of snow or whatever it was, didn't budge. That first pic does look wonky, but its got to be the picture. Its fine looking out from here.

It's the lack of a double top plate that bugs me. That a lot of firewood, I'm sure you're tired :smokin:

Naw, they're holding up fine. We got that 40" of snow or whatever it was, didn't budge. That first pic does look wonky, but its got to be the picture. Its fine looking out from here.

You can get extra strength from the material for no cost just by using it right. You're a fool not to. Cut corners like that are the difference between the shed falling down in 20yr or 40yr.

You can get extra strength from the material for no cost just by using it right. You're a fool not to. Cut corners like that are the difference between the shed falling down in 20yr or 40yr.

We weren't really cutting corners. Just how we did it. Yea, I guess we could have rotated the boards. "oops", I guess. :rolleyes:

We weren't really cutting corners. Just how we did it. Yea, I guess we could have rotated the boards. "oops", I guess. :rolleyes:

Anyone that builds for a living will agree that those are weak headers, especially in an area with snow loads. Hell, residential door headers on interior non-bearing walls are typically built stronger than that.

Anyone that builds for a living will agree that those are weak headers, especially in an area with snow loads. Hell, residential door headers on interior non-bearing walls are typically built stronger than that.

Well, we don't build for a living and they're just wood sheds. :homer:

What kind of gas cap goes on this?
the old quarter turn ones with the springy bar
should be one at the store in the "stant products" section, measure the opening then just look for the most beat up box and start there

see also, the cap from a rattle can
choose one without the vent hole

Top Back Refresh