What's new

Used gear setup and pattern (photos inside)

RunningProblem

Member Number
I am installing a new locker with new bearings. I took a pattern of the gears and old carrier before reinstalling them with the new carrier.
previous backlash measured 0.0012-13
current backlash measured 0.006-7”

Does this pattern look okay? Yukon’s instructions say to focus on the coast side. The drive side seems to be closer to the toe and looks like one of the acceptable Yukon patterns.

photo50708.jpg

photo50707.jpg

photo50709.jpg

photo50710.jpg

Sterling 10.25 axle. Forgot to mention that if it matters.

coast side new setup photo is upside down. The pattern is at the bottom of the tooth not the top.

Just the carrier, no pinion changes?

Match the old backlash.

correct. This was my initial thought and then I say minimum spec and though ‘well that’s within spec and they’ll probably mesh up again. Plus tighter is better, right?’

I'm removing the carrier on a 14 bolt myself soon and will check backlash before removing and set it to the same after since it makes no noise and no wear currently.

Setting backlash on a 14 bolt is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier. You just won some coals and BAM you have it set. This requires removing the carrier, but thankfully not pulling bearings.

Setting backlash on a 14 bolt is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier. You just won some coals and BAM you have it set. This requires removing the carrier, but thankfully not pulling bearings.

If the goal is to not have a boat anchor of a rear axle spending an extra 15min setting up your gears is a lot easier way to go about it than spending several hours shaving a diff.

Top Back Refresh