What's new

Upgrade axles on enclosed trailer?

I've mentioned it in another thread somewhere and don't have the time or budget to start a new project but...

Trailer axles with unit bearings. Easy roadside repairs. Brake solution is the difficult part.
Surge brakes were mentioned as a solution (I'm personally not a fan). Disc + hydraulic control gets pricey.

It would be interesting to see a thread on this subject one day.

I've mentioned it in another thread somewhere and don't have the time or budget to start a new project but...

Trailer axles with unit bearings. Easy roadside repairs. Brake solution is the difficult part.
Surge brakes were mentioned as a solution (I'm personally not a fan). Disc + hydraulic control gets pricey.

Would work fine on a dually since the the backing plate flange would be far inboard of where the unit bearing cup needs to be.

I've had a loaned out trailer come back with 4 bent solid spindles. Guy I loaned it to put boards on the side and loaded the 8x14 deck with limestone. No idea what it weighed but the spindles were all bent up after that. I flipped the axles over but it wasn't long before one snapped right off.

I've also seen a bunch of them on torsion suspension break right off, and I attribute it to the grease holes (that's where they always break).

Not my pic, just proof:

20200619_182510_c97a048eb4db818386265c7e23aa28c36468acb5.jpg

I said usually :flipoff2:

What is that, a 7k straight axle? Was the housing bent too?

Uhaul uses the same unit bearing on all their trailers. If those don't get abused and overloaded, I don't know what does.

An F550 front axle is "only" rated for 6k, but I'd bet it's way more beefy than an 8k trailer axle. A typical 05+ 250/350 ub is basically the same thing and would probably be the best bet except for being fucking expensive.

Edit: it's 7k on the front of a 2019 F550. So even better.

Last edited:
Uhaul uses the same unit bearing on all of the single axle utility trailers. If those don't get abused and overloaded, I don't know what does.
Fixed

They've actually got a pretty good amount of variety and all the dual axle stuff is still using traditional axles so far as I can tell.

You just have to disagree with me no matter what?

You're wrong
I'll take a picture next time I'm there.

Enclosed trailers are a mixed bag. Everything with the ramp or dual axles has a normal axle.

Carpetbagging piece of shit. :shaking:

All the car trailers I've seen have unit bearings.

Edit: even got a Pic of it :homer:

IMG_20200622_155248.jpg

From a thread that you responded to a bunch :laughing:

Last edited:
I’ve never rented the car hauler. That’s what a tow bar is for. :laughing:

So as usual, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about, but still feel the need to spew shit out of your cpap hole

So as usual, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about, but still feel the need to spew shit out of your cpap hole
Everyone on this site knows I've spent more time with those trailers in tow than just about anyone here. I never have had reason to rent the car hauler because a tow bar will do.

Next time I'm there I'll take pictures of what's on the various trailers. There's multiple generations of trailer and I wouldn't be surprised if I can find a car hauler that's got traditional axles too.

Carpetbagging piece of subhuman California scum. :shaking:

Everyone on this site knows I've spent more time with those trailers in tow than just about anyone here. I never have had reason to rent the car hauler because a tow bar will do.

Next time I'm there I'll take pictures of what's on the various trailers. There's multiple generations of trailer and I wouldn't be surprised if I can find a car hauler that's got traditional axles too.

Carpetbagging piece of subhuman California scum. :shaking:

So first you say all dual axle trailers use traditional spindles, now you're saying "I bet I can find one" :homer:

Not that any of your posts have added a single useful piece of information to what we're talking about. But that's just part for the course.

Love when you call names, shows that you are actually upset :lmao:

You're not worth debating with, I hope the next sewer pipe ditch you dig caves in on you because the state of Idaho would be better with one less Californian in it and some of neighbors probably agree with me on this one even if they're too polite to tell you.

They have a certain set of do’s and don’ts. I’m 25k and counting with no issues on my triples. The stupid spread axle trend on tandem axle setups is just as bad.
That’s accurate. I’m seeing more enclosed trailers that look like they have spread tandem torsion axles. That looks cool or something. I guess.

Triple axles suck for anything.

I'd be fine with them for a highway rig like a big enclosed where tandem duals aren't an option. The load being spread out does help with dips in the road, spread axles are the same idea. Not good for tire scrub and spindle stress around town though. :laughing:

That beimg said 2 10k dually axles are so much better than 3 7k's imo.

Top Back Refresh