What's new

Unconventional Living?

But the huge cost savin's is the actual construction of the exterior of the trailer. 2 x 2 wood studs stapled together with a touch of insulation.

My class c look like it was made with scrap wood, every time I take a panel off to add or fix something I clean up factory trash, saw dust, wire clippings, stripped insulation, screws.

Unfortunately, Thor also bought out Airstream. I've heard that they're still bein' run independently tho and have maintained their own QC standards. I can't confirm or deny that. I don't know much 'bout 'em 'cause I got no int'rest. A trailer without slides ain't roomy enuf to live in and there ain't room for me to stand up in their showers 'cause of the curved roof.

Potentially ... without a fuckin' doubt. The American RV industry is a fascinatin' bid'ness model. Huge profits 'cause they done perfected the art of makin' a $30k trailer look like a $100k trailer. Easy to do on the interior with particle board and wallpaper for example rather than real wood. And they sell a buttload of 'em 'cause they look fancy. The average consumer has no concept of quality construction materials. They just want it to look pretty. And it will for a while I reckon. But not for long if'n a fella's livin' in it.

But the huge cost savin's is the actual construction of the exterior of the trailer. 2 x 2 wood studs stapled together with a touch of insulation. Light duty frames with cheapest axle components and tires possibly obtained. 'Cause nobody seems to give a shit how they're built ... they just want the inside to be pretty. Simple enuf. So a longer trailer had damned well better have extra strength over a shorter one. But don't be surprised if'n all they did was extend the two fuckin' frame rails. Which makes 'em flex more. And flexin' is exactly what fucks 'em up goin' down the road. A stiff frame is mandatory. Yet most manufacturers don't even mention it. Ironic'ly, after the pretty interior, the next biggest sellin' point is bein' lightweight. For fucks sake, how you reckon they make 'em so light?? Reckon a frame with a 6" rail weighs less than an 8" rail?? Folks don't give a shit why they're lightweight ... they just want to tow one behind their fuckin' minivan. Or a 30-footer behind a half-ton. Amazes the shit outta me.

Check out Arctic Fox for example. Half their website is showin' off their frame. That's good shit. I lived in one for 8 months and they're very well built. Just wanted more room so moved up to my monster DRV. Only time will tell how bad I fucked up.
Good points indeed.

Can it be assumed that Arctic Fox's 5th wheels are built the same way?

I'm living a minimalist lifestyle in an apartment in the city. I like being close to restaurants. I don't like being this close to inconsiderate people. I save huge money by not having a garage and house to maintain. The downside is that I'm no longer building equity. I'd be happy picking up a little cabin on some land.

I thought you had a house on property with like 6 kids and 2 dishwashers (actual ones, not womens) and 2 fridges, etc?

I thought you had a house on property with like 6 kids and 2 dishwashers (actual ones, not womens) and 2 fridges, etc?

I built a house in Colorado. It was nice. I moved to another Victorian house in Colorado. Then I picked up and moved to Mississippi to take care of my ex-wife's family. I was on six acres there. The house was nothing special. Then I got divorced and got to keep my retirement. So, I live in an apartment until I save up and figure out where I want to buy.

What year and floor plan DRV?

2020 ... 44 Nashville. Hard to find floorplan that has the livin' room in the bow and the bed/bath in the stern. Only one that works for me ... I can't stand up in the shower when it's in the bow. So no celin' fan in the livin' room but one in the bedroom. Lived in it 4 months so far. Nice trailer. The only thang bigger than the initial cost is the fuckin' rate of depreciation. RV's make no financial sense at all. But I been on the road for 33 years and just can't take the thought of another hotel room. Again ... time will tell how bad I fucked up.

Can it be assumed that Arctic Fox's 5th wheels are built the same way?

Yessir. I struggled with not just tradin' mine in for their 5th wheel but I got lured into the massiveness of my DRV for full-time livin'. Prob'ly shoulda went with a Luxe but just didn't have the patience to wait for them to build me one. I'm bad like that.

Yessir. I struggled with not just tradin' mine in for their 5th wheel but I got lured into the massiveness of my DRV for full-time livin'. Prob'ly shoulda went with a Luxe but just didn't have the patience to wait for them to build me one. I'm bad like that.
I didn't realize I've been to their manufacturing plant in La Grande! :laughing:

I dated a gal in '19 who lived in nearby Elgin; her two kids worked at a 'camper manufacturing' place in La Grande.

I was on the Arctic Fox website after you recommended them and noticed their address.

They're a 2hr drive from my location (ID).

2020 ... 44 Nashville. Hard to find floorplan that has the livin' room in the bow and the bed/bath in the stern. Only one that works for me ... I can't stand up in the shower when it's in the bow. So no celin' fan in the livin' room but one in the bedroom. Lived in it 4 months so far. Nice trailer. The only thang bigger than the initial cost is the fuckin' rate of depreciation. RV's make no financial sense at all. But I been on the road for 33 years and just can't take the thought of another hotel room. Again ... time will tell how bad I fucked up.

I was just looking at their Full House model online.

Dumb (but serious) question:
Can I fit my '94 Bronco (on 37s) into a DRV garage?:laughing:

No.

I did a massive amount of research tryin' to find an RV toyhauler that I could stick my JK in while I travel. Even if'n ya find one that it'll physic'ly fit in ... the weight's what gets ya. Pay close attention to the GVWR. Ain't gonna happen.

Only way 'round that is an enclosed car trailer with livin' quarters. In my opinion, ATC trailers are the best option for this. Just not a good fit for full-time livin' tho. And then I bought my expo trailer I pull behind my JK anyways so no longer even an option.

Someday I can still possibly see myself haulin' my JK in an ATC that's simply set-up for the the 4 basic "S's" .... shit, shower, shave, and sleep. Hard to deny the comforts of a roadtrip in my King's Ranch F450.

Being able to add that much weight behind the axle without messing up the pin weight is a huge pain (and its hard to find a ramp door that strong) You wind up with the tail wagging the dog, or a super heavy pin weight when there is nothing in the back. Like a see saw effect.

My 40' gooseneck/fiver H&H is built like a fucking tank. Legit trailer. Axles right where theyre supposed to be, but thats the difference between toy haulers and actual trailers

I was just looking at their Full House model online.

Years and years ago there was a guy in the Towing section that did a build thread for a toy hauler he was having made to his specs. He worked for another RV mfg, so knew all about the shitty construction methods. Once it was done and he loaded his FS Bronco in it it was so heavy it was almost unusable with a 3/4 ton truck. He really need a MDT for it as the PU's in the early 2000's just weren't up to the task.

Just thinking about this. How goes the vagabonding, Ted_Kaczynski? Hope it's well--I think about it more and more every day.

My own early retirement is quite scary--I'm getting very close to what I thought was the number I needed to have in my nest egg. But really just because of inflation, so I don't know how much I need to adjust the nest egg thing...

Sadly the RV industry does as a whole does not give a shit about quality control. My travel trailer was 20k, and I've had some issues that I just fixed on my own. My brother has an $80,000 42 foot 5th wheel, and he just got it back from the dealer for tons of warranty work. $20k or 80k, they are all lacking quality control.
This is why I'm staying away from slide-outs.

Truck camper/travel trailer/5th wheel, etc; I'm reading way too many "my slide-out won't open/close/operate correctly" threads on RV websites.

Plus; I'll be travelling on fire/forest service roads A LOT.

Since I'm not mechanically inclined, I want to keep my camper K.I.S.S.

I intend to do this in 10 years, for a while.

My tentative plan is 2 rental homes, each with a smallish shop set apart from the house, the shop having rv hookups

One house here in the desert hell, the other somewhere cool

Find fixed income retiree tenants to jiggle the locked doors on the shop occasionally and send checks the 6 months a year I'm not there

Move a big 5th wheel back and forth seasonally, and some traveling inbetween

Keep desert toys in the desert, mountain toys in the mountains

Piecing the az property together now

I also may hit the road and chase money on contract jobs to pad my retirement for a couple years once the kids leave, maybe get a few years between no kids and no grandkids

Curious why you think that, when I rent my trailer out, I use them with almost all the 1/2 trucks that tow it, makes a big difference from what I can see. When its connected right.

Air bag kits are about the same price and far superior.

I always had heat problems with my TT tires with weight distro hitches, when I went to bags the trailer tire heat and blow outs went away. I think they transfer that tongue weight onto the trailer tires transferring your problem instead of solving it.

Just thinking about this. How goes the vagabonding, Ted_Kaczynski? Hope it's well--I think about it more and more every day.

My own early retirement is quite scary--I'm getting very close to what I thought was the number I needed to have in my nest egg. But really just because of inflation, so I don't know how much I need to adjust the nest egg thing...
Still going. Even got a new job that's 100% telework and work from home full time in the 5th wheel. Pretty much living on vacation. We are staying closer to our kids mostly but are making more plans to do more actual travel.

At this point we've lived in an RV almost 3 of the last 4 years with no plans of change.

37 yrs old. Live in a 27' northwood nash .. been doing it last 3 years. Im a non conformist, apathetic etc :lmao:. It works for me and my special lady friend. No kids, we both have solid jobs. I have a little bit of debt, shes debt free. We both have great credit. For most part zero stress.

Lookin for property to put the camper on, and then build a house. No rush to get into something that we arent 100% about. Till then im just trailer trash!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_200126.jpg
    IMG_20210604_200126.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
I live in CO, but I’m based at LAX. I have a 20’ TT that is my California apartment. I sleep in it anywhere from 2-3 nights in a light month to 12-15 nights in a busy one. It’s the cheapest studio apartment in LA. The glamourous life of a pilot…

I live in CO, but I’m based at LAX. I have a 20’ TT that is my California apartment. I sleep in it anywhere from 2-3 nights in a light month to 12-15 nights in a busy one. It’s the cheapest studio apartment in LA. The glamourous life of a pilot…

if you want to company to drink four lokos or do some coke, I am your man.

:flipoff2::usa:

37 yrs old. Live in a 27' northwood nash .. been doing it last 3 years. Im a non conformist, apathetic etc :lmao:. It works for me and my special lady friend. No kids, we both have solid jobs. I have a little bit of debt, shes debt free. We both have great credit. For most part zero stress.

Lookin for property to put the camper on, and then build a house. No rush to get into something that we arent 100% about. Till then im just trailer trash!!!

my research pointed me to Nash making the best trailers. what year is yours, how do you like it?

Air bag kits are about the same price and far superior.

I always had heat problems with my TT tires with weight distro hitches, when I went to bags the trailer tire heat and blow outs went away. I think they transfer that tongue weight onto the trailer tires transferring your problem instead of solving it.
Air bags do absolutely jack and shit for keeping weight on the front axle and preventing excessive torsional loading on the frame/hitch from a heavy tongue.

I never tow anything with my RV without the WD setup on it. The rear overhang places the hitch the same distance from the rear axle as the front axle. It is a noticeable handling difference.

Colin started traveling for work a few years ago and with kids growing and multiplying we bought a 44' toy hauler. we started traveling as a family last year and were on the road 252 days in 2019. we still have the house in Tennessee but i personally would love to clear it out and let it go. some land and a hookup for the camper for a few years would be great until we decide where we would like to settle down again. the kids love the rv and the adventure, 6, 3, and new baby 2 months old... we are going to try to get back out this fall when the covid stuff calms down.

2C3D8073-FFEA-4417-82D1-2A46D38B5F51.jpeg
I'll take "posts that didn't age well for $1,000.":flipoff2:

I really want to get rid of a lot of shit and go out in the motorhome for months at a time. Have the motorhome already, but not even close to retiring. I could sell my tiny business for next to nothing and get a remote IT job. God that sounds like sucking my own dick. Bad week.

When I was making plans for building on my Arizona property, I strongly considered just having a shop and no house because I could use the RV for living quarters. Decided against it because I want a house, with a shop and the RV in the corner of the shop.

Top Back Refresh