What's new

Unconventional Living?

Subscribed! :smokin:

That's what I'm working towards now.

I'm hoping/working towards travelling to 49 states plus Canada (fug Mexico).

Starting off with this:
Bronco with camper.jpg

This is more what I had in mind.

Complete with twin hottubs his and hers.

keo7qBC.jpg

One of my friends up in Naches lives with his family of 4 him, wife, two kids. The house itself is a two bedroom maybe 600-800 SF one bath. The rest of the house is a shop big enough to pull your truck and trailer into. The property is awesome. You can be out on the trails from his driveway.

That's the way to live.

Naches area blew my mind the first time I went. My fav annual wheeling trip was running the naches trail out and back alone on veteran's day every year. Bull run always had lipstick on it that time of year.

I'm too old for that ruffing it it shit, I'm buying a 45 DP.

My first trip was back in '94, Early Bronco pulling a tent camper, 2 months zig zagging to PA April & May little cold in the North with no heat but it was fun trip, been planning my exit and life on the road since then.

At 39 now, I fully plan on selling my house at 50, buying a motorhome, and camp hosting state parks around the U.S. Than sounds fun to me, as long as I still have my bikes in the trailer.

I used to work as an Industrial electrician, so I traveled a bit. Started with an 8 foot cab over camper, then I bought a 26 foot TT trailer in Florida (Do not ever buy any RV that has spent years parked in an RV park in FL) eventully I moved back home started my own business had a major down turn so in 2006 I went union ended up back on the road, ended up in Basalt CO slept in my camper shell in the company parking lot, washed up at night in the bathroom, on the week ends I would rent a motel room to get a shower, bought a 16 ft travel trailer I forgotten what it was like to stand up when I got out of bed. Eventually ended up with a 78 22 foot Class C MH, man talk about luxury! LOL
I have never had a bad RV park experiance, most people are friendly especially when you are working, the retired folks want to hear what your day was like, if you set outside one or more old guys will show up with beer and a chair, sometimes food (The wife made extra and thought you might could use it, just leave the empty plate on your picnic table and I pick it up in the morning) If you are working on something they will show up offering advice and or a hand or two. Most have showers and laundry facilities, some even have a small store, to save you a trip into town when you are really out in the boonies.

We did the rv thing for a year in a 38ft toyhauler that I just sold to my neighbor. It was fine for me and wish Id have done it long ago. But a baby, now 2yr old and a 10 now 12yr old made the toyhauler just not big enough.

I still live in a semi truck 5 days a week. But its nicer than most of y'alls campers :flipoff2: and millions of truck drivers live in their trucks full time, no wife/kids or no kids, on the road full time. Which if I didn't have a family, thats where Id be, but with a piece of land and a shopartment for time off.

you got anything good?:grinpimp:

A pissed off YFZ450? Or a Toyota buggy that needs an engine rebuild? Both would go cheap!

But yeah, one day I’ll have to give away my big drill press, my old ass 12” grinder, my welding table, all that. Not looking forward to that piece of it, but what can I say—I’ve been holding this equipment back, maybe the next owner won’t.

We did the rv thing for a year in a 38ft toyhauler that I just sold to my neighbor. It was fine for me and wish Id have done it long ago. But a baby, now 2yr old and a 10 now 12yr old made the toyhauler just not big enough.

I still live in a semi truck 5 days a week. But its nicer than most of y'alls campers :flipoff2: and millions of truck drivers live in their trucks full time, no wife/kids or no kids, on the road full time. Which if I didn't have a family, thats where Id be, but with a piece of land and a shopartment for time off.

Especially if you have one of those100 inch plus sleepers!

We found a bad ass upscale RV resort a few towns away ...

Curious where that's at sir. PM me if'n wanna keep it off the world-wide-web.

Been full-timer for the past year and doubt will change anytime soon. Live wherever I gotta work. Currently in a RV resort in Jacksonville, FL. Need to cut down on my truck fleet some but had no problem gettin' shed of all the other shit I owned. Proud to say got empty cabinets in the new trailer.

Been full-timer for the past year and doubt will change anytime soon. Live wherever I gotta work. Currently in a RV resort in Jacksonville, FL. Need to cut down on my truck fleet some but had no problem gettin' shed of all the other shit I owned. Proud to say got empty cabinets in the new trailer.

You have a PM. :smokin:

One of my friends up in Naches lives with his family of 4 him, wife, two kids. The house itself is a two bedroom maybe 600-800 SF one bath. The rest of the house is a shop big enough to pull your truck and trailer into. The property is awesome. You can be out on the trails from his driveway.

That's the way to live.

me my wife and two kids live north Whidbey Is. in a similar home, 800sf 2bdrm 3/4+ a 1/2bath. shop space is 3500sf + a loft, 5 garage doors the biggest is 16h x 14w. 2bays are 25' deep the other three are 50'. out the back is forest lands and a block from the driveway state park beaches.

we love it, i'm self employed working from the shop and the wife is stay at home mom. this time of year we roll out of bed when we wake up, no alarm clocks, and start the morning off in the front yard. kids on their bikes and powerwheels, me and women drinking our coffee. its the best thing ever.

i would really like a bigger shower/ bath but thats it. the house is perfect size. my brothers have 2800 and 3500sf homes, seems like all they do is pick up and clean, and their places are still dirty. they both have property but no time to take care of it. my front yard is my living room and i keep it nice, lawn and cedar trees, park like. any family event they want to have at our place just so they dont have to spend the week prior and after getting their places presentable. my place even has 5 full r/v hook ups, yes five. friends will bring their campers and stay the weekend. i dont like that we dont have a 'guest room' for when my grandma and uncles visit. but we make do.

the plan before we bought this place 3 years ago was to live in a fifth wheel and build a shop. i am glad it turned out how it did.

View attachment cuQ3bML5BSpt26OPqvvf_d2uslYLjNdBgIzPzA0EvB8Ta69D2FVHqcqDWVfPNQ7KQnzCbHx6HBArg9tvNaTsVAG0oeMzOEnUihcy View attachment hr1LzM576zxsfLtIAlsLDdEH-pYyHZkd27LgIXCQQmqjKCxSEVAQeOw5m-5vxAcw9inpaI1iBd6WNVhq01xdZenXwttBfhbjdkrt

I'm in Jacksonville too, and yes we have empty cabinets and half empty basement. Getting rid of the stuff has been the best part.

Been living in this 30’ rv since last July....
Sold our house and bought a 1940’s farmhouse on 43 acres.... in the process of gutting it and simple remodel.

edit:
I can’t edit in the house picture.... it uploads but won’t post!!!
Edit: (again)
got it!!!!!

9BF099BE-909F-4722-809A-399A6E1F65A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Been living in this 30’ rv since last July....
Sold our house and bought a 1940’s farmhouse on 43 acres.... in the process of gutting it and simple remodel.

edit:
I can’t edit in the house picture.... it uploads but won’t post!!!

picture works on my end :smokin:

Wife, 15 yo kid, 2 boxers and myself will be living in this for 2 week at the end of the month. selling our house and waiting to move into the new one. 2 weeks will feel like a a lifetime. I just cant do the confined spaces. maybe just me and the ole lady but na

If that's confined, I'd hate to see what my travel trailer is... I really would love to do rv living, but we have too much stuff and my wife needs her space.

IMG_20200520_193201_048.jpg

The issue I found with full timing in a rv is that alot of them are cheap pieces of shit :laughing: mine included. Running on propane for the water heater and stove sucked.

I have a plan to build an rv out of a 53ft drop frame van trailer, like a ghetto fabulous version of Spacecraft Mfg. Everything will be fullsize and use higher end materials. Kind of want to make it a toyhauler, but dont want to lose the living space.
​​
​​​​​

RELATED TECH QUESTION:
Has anyone towed an Airstream or similarly shaped trailer?

I'm curious in regards to how it handles due to being much more aerodynamically shaped.

How much fact vs fiction.

The wife and I have taken the opportunity to work remotely the past few months and "moved" to the middle of nowhere Kansas. We've been building out our space (16' x 18') inside of two shipping containers. We'll build a shop or house on the property eventually but the past few months has been a good test to see if we could make the jump.

I might have to bow out of this thread....... But not entirely*

Wife and I took a ride up to Tyler yesterday so I could buy a set of SxS wheels & tires I found on CL. Just outside the city limits of the town we live in, there was a house* for sale. It literally checks off all the boxes we had in our heads about what we want......

-2.5 acres
-2012 built house*
-30 X 60 Shop!!!!!
-Surrounded by farms
-Concrete driveway
-Fully fenced
-Gated entrance
-Impeccable property maintenance
- Outside city limits (no zoning BS)
-Awesome price

When we got back yesterday I had my wife inquire about it. I'm all in if we can get the deal done. :smokin:

*Its a mobile home, so would I still be trailer trash? :flipoff2:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200530-162532_realtorcom.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.3 KB ID:	21665

Last edited:
RELATED TECH QUESTION:
Has anyone towed an Airstream or similarly shaped trailer?

I'm curious in regards to how it handles due to being much more aerodynamically shaped.

How much fact vs fiction.

Talking to neighbors, Airstreams are heavy. Whatever you gain in aerodynamics will be lost due to weight. You'll probably end up at 8-10 mpg, this seems to be the consistency of most combos no matter type, size, make, etc.

As far as handling, put airbags on your tow rig and a sway away and you'll be set. The load Distribution hitches are fiction IMHO, a set of air bags will probably be cheaper and a much better towing experience.

Last edited:
If that's confined, I'd hate to see what my travel trailer is... I really would love to do rv living, but we have too much stuff and my wife needs her space.

We lived 18 months in this 32' Passport Bunkhouse, the first 9 months with a 19 yo son. It was humbling and took consideration in both directions.

photo5827.jpg

Top Back Refresh