What's new

Turkey-How do you cook it.

Smoked!. Used to deep fry and it's good, but smoked is way easier and equally if not more delicious.

FWIW: I kinda spatchcock the bird(I don't remove the spine, just split and lay flat). I feel like it cooks quicker and more evenly, plus I can stack 2 smaller birds in my GMG. I rub it with a basic rib rub. I started smoking 2 at a time since there were never any leftovers. Smoked bird makes a tasty stock as well. I generally stick with my old deep fry standard of around a 14lb bird, just cause.

Last year I smoked the turkey. It was fantastic. This year I'm going old school. It's hard to make gravy from pan drippings when you use a smoker.

You can put it in a pan on the smoker so you still have drippings

Today it’s just Mrs. Treehorn and me so I have a London broil on the smoker.

You can put it in a pan on the smoker so you still have drippings

Going to have to try that next time we do one in the smoker. Need to improve temperature control in the smoker first though, have about a quarter inch of movement on the knob to go from 200F to 300F. Might see if I can find someone getting rid of a older propane oven that I can steal the controls out of.

We do one spatchcocked in the smoker and one in the oven.
Both get thawed out in water the day before, then brined overnight (using a slightly modified version of Alton Brown's turkey brine recipe).

​​​​​​Picked up a third turkey that we're going to try deep frying at some point, have the burner and the pot, never tried that before looking forward to trying it.

Aaron Z

So this year we’re having a lot of people over for thanksgiving so I went and bought a 23 pound turkey which I know is on the large side for smoking. Any recommendations for temperature?

Going to fry at least 3 turkeys. It is the only way I'll do it or eat it for the last 30 years. Inject that puppy and drop her in the oil, drink a couple beers and boom there you go awesome turkey.

Brine, inject and fry. 2nd choice is smoked. Haven't had an oven baked in well over 20 years and never will again

I’ve never cooked one.
My dad smokes some breasts and they are always great. I am not a fan of turkey but dad makes them delicious.

So this year we’re having a lot of people over for thanksgiving so I went and bought a 23 pound turkey which I know is on the large side for smoking. Any recommendations for temperature?
I don't smoke anything less than 265* these days and I've converted pretty much anyone with a smoker who's eaten my food. :smokin:

Spatchcocked, and smoked.

Attachments

• IMG_20201126_133525_991.jpg
    IMG_20201126_133525_991.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 14
Smoked!. Used to deep fry and it's good, but smoked is way easier and equally if not more delicious.

FWIW: I kinda spatchcock the bird(I don't remove the spine, just split and lay flat). I feel like it cooks quicker and more evenly, plus I can stack 2 smaller birds in my GMG. I rub it with a basic rib rub. I started smoking 2 at a time since there were never any leftovers. Smoked bird makes a tasty stock as well. I generally stick with my old deep fry standard of around a 14lb bird, just cause.
Lol, came here to repost my own post.

Still 100% true. Baked turkeys for years, then fried, then injected and fried, then brined, injected, and fried. Now it's 10 min prep and still as good if not better than all the rest. I'll tell from past experience we often have a baked bird and a smoked bird at Thanksgiving and the smoked disappears.

Room temp bird, split along spine and lay flat, rub with your favorite rub. That's it. Could probably do a great job in five min if you had to.

Once it's picked over finish splitting the spine off, then throw the spine, carcass, and trimmings in the stock pot.

Big Easy Oil Less Fryer
Salt/sugar brine 24 hours
Inject with creole butter, rub with oil and cajun rub.
cook 2-2.5 hours to 165
EAT

_nc_ohc=ZXp9wi1X6zsAX-kVVar&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=fj1Uu3fMBQ8AX_7DksL&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

I do the Alton brown turkey. Brined/baked.

My wife and kids don't like smoked foods, so I don't get any either.

Biggest problem is finding turkey that isn't pre-brined now. Double brining them brings the suck.

Top Back Refresh