What's new

Turkey-How do you cook it.

Dan's EB

Not so junior
Member Number
Loc
Chandler, AZ
Smoke, deep fry or bake, which do you prefer?

I prefer smoked. I prepared the bird yesterday, soaked in brine overnight then just put it on the smoker a little while ago.

20201126_090528.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving.

We did our thanksgiving last weekend. I soaked the turkey in brine plus a gallon of apple cider for 24 hours then smoked on a pellet grille for four hours at 300 degrees with a combo of apple and mesquite pellets. Best turkey I’ve ever had.

I usually smoke the bird at 225 for 4 or 5 hours then cover in tinfoil and up the temp to 275 or so until the thermometer says it's done. I've never gone 300 right out of the gate.

Smoked. Thawed it in the fridge since Saturday. Rubbed it last night. Threw it on the smoker with 2 sticks of butter and an apple inside today. Trying to smoke it at 250 for 30 mins/lb, but I had a little trouble getting the temp below 300 for the first hour.

Best bird I have done was a BBQ turkey. Brined in apple / cloves / onions over night. Took a while but was amazing.

If I do a turkey it's injected with cajun butter along with a cajun rub then smoked with apple wood. I'm not a Turkey fan and its pretty good.

I just inject it and deep fry it. Turns out really good with minimal effort.

F49A335F-65DE-41A0-9DD9-98DE585E9A59.jpeg

Im getting behind so had to add more heat.

Im smoking mine. Why does everyone cook their turkeys breast side up? Best way to cook a bird is breast down. Then the fat and oils from the dark meat keeps it juicy.

Im smoking mine. Why does everyone cook their turkeys breast side up? Best way to cook a bird is breast down. Then the fat and oils from the dark meat keeps it juicy.

I feel like it keeps the breast meat away from the direct heat and would keep it from drying out. Plus I think you need to do it that way with stuffing.

I feel like it keeps the breast meat away from the direct heat and would keep it from drying out. Plus I think you need to do it that way with stuffing.

I don't do stuffing in the bird. If its in a pan, breast is going to be in the drippings. Cant dry out.

I prefer deep fried, but the wife hates it that way, so she gets the job of cooking it. She oven roasts it. Starts with the breast side down and tented, then flips it over and uncovers it.

Last year I smoked the turkey. It was fantastic. This year I'm going old school. It's hard to make gravy from pan drippings when you use a smoker.

This year i am doing a different technique.

Last few years I have used a covered roasting pan and it came out great.

This year I am cooking it uncovered and using a mayonnaise and fresh herb rub on it, I am going for the super golden color.

I have had the 12 lbs bird in the fridge since Sunday and darn thing still had ice in it today, I have it chilling on the counter for an hour, hopefully that gets it all to temp.

Depends on who’s making it. Stepmom is baking a couple turkeys today, she makes the only baked turkey I like.

I’m frying a Cajun injected turkey on Saturday which is my favorite way to cook them myself

I've used the big easy for the past 4 or 5 years. I'm flying solo this year. Went to get a turkey on tuesday and all the small ones were gone and I really didn't feel like throwing away 3/4 of a 20 pounder. Prime rib roasts were on sale so I grabbed 5 lbs of beefy goodness.

I don't want to mess up my oven (getting ready to list the house very soon) and my Big Green Egg is down for repairs. I was going to use the gas Weber and do an indirect cook, but then I found a couple of recipes for roast in the big easy and people saying they come out amazing...so I'm trying that.

Just like the Pilgrims ate...

20201126_151039.jpg

20201126_151155.jpg

[486 said:
;n211274]Throw it away and get a burger instead :flipoff2:

fify. You could give me the best turkey in the world and eating it once a year would still be too much

Top Back Refresh