What's new

Turbo dying on the tow pig

surpip

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Sac, Ca
So I’m getting the turbo death codes on my 6.7 ram (p003a, p00af) Pretty sure it’s the actuator, but from what I’m reading it’s best to just do both.
Stock, or slightly upgraded? I don’t want to really hot rod it, reliability is king.
Suggested places?

FWIW, the actuator went out on my '15 2 years ago, I'm guessing it was at ~85,000 miles at that point. I replaced it with a Holset actuator, used AlfaOBD to calibrate it, and it's been good since. Way cheaper and easier than replacing the whole thing.

Bit the bullet and bought a actuator, fingers crossed.

If reliability is most important, get rid of the VGT.

Do a 2nd gen swap and get a good fixed vein turbo.

:usa:

2nd gen? As in HX35?

dont you mean HE351? Even then 8m sure someone has come up with a better option in the last 20 years of turbo tech.

If reliability is most important, get rid of the VGT.

Do a 2nd gen swap and get a good fixed vein turbo.

:usa:
Wouldn't you lose the exhaust brake and warmup "choke" (whatever it's called)?

I know my 08 Dodge has one of the best heaters in shit I've run. The 95 and 98.5 I had were "meh" at best.

Cool, just wanted to make sure you knew about the procedure and had what you needed before tearing into it.

FWIW, the actuator went out on my '15 2 years ago, I'm guessing it was at ~85,000 miles at that point. I replaced it with a Holset actuator, used AlfaOBD to calibrate it, and it's been good since. Way cheaper and easier than replacing the whole thing.
Did the trick, went pretty smooth, and no more CEL, so hopefully it stays that way for a while.

Pretty sure he meant the 2nd gen manifold swap.

Completely different turbo placement. I'm betting he meant 3rd generation 5.9.

Imo, on a 6.7 you aren't simplifing that much by swapping out the vgt turbo. It's still a modern complex truck, so why get rid of the benefits of vgt?

Completely different turbo placement. I'm betting he meant 3rd generation 5.9.

Imo, on a 6.7 you aren't simplifing that much by swapping out the vgt turbo. It's still a modern complex truck, so why get rid of the benefits of vgt?
The factory VGT turbo blows head gaskets if you are making more power than stock.

2nd gen manifold ( better flowing, more even) and a decent non VGT turbo.

Mine is a manual transmission, so I went with a s464 .90 trim

The factory VGT turbo blows head gaskets if you are making more power than stock.

2nd gen manifold ( better flowing, more even) and a decent non VGT turbo.

Mine is a manual transmission, so I went with a s464 .90 trim

No clearance issues with moving the turbo? You also needed a custom downpipe? Why not just go aftermarket at that point?

I mean the manifold? Why go with a stock 2nd gen?
Not stock second gen. Mine is a STEED manifold. It's just a "2nd gen" style with the outlet centered.
M198789314.jpg

Out of curiosity, what year 6.7 and mileage?

How long did the job take?

2016, approx 130k
took me about 2 hours ish i think. drain coolant, remove inner fender, fight with super pita lower left bolt, and then reverse.
Not too bad.

Top Back Refresh