What's new

Trying to figure out what it’s worth

PaullyB

Member Number
I’ve had this 82 CJ5 for the last 20 years. Thinking of selling due to loss of trails in the area and friends getting out of wheeling. It seems to sit more every year. I could use some help getting an idea of what to list it for. Super straight, no rust, beautiful paint. Lock-right in the rear, one piece axles on 34” swampers. Clean Toyota seats upholstered to match with rear fender wells moved to gain some room up front. Fella I got it from put fiberglass fenders on unnecessarily. It came from the Air Force base locally. Original 2.5L iron Duke. Show car with pretty solid trail chops. Also an old Belleview M6000(5687) winch.
I’m not sure of the market or where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Pics would help a lot here.

Location, mileage, rebuilt anything, condition, etc all play a part.

Could be a $3k rig, could be a $30k rig. CJ5's are pretty cheap in the PNW and I can go buy a stock driving rig for $3k right now FWIW.

It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And like others stated, location, mileage, condition, etc, etc...

It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And like others stated, location, mileage, condition, etc, etc...
Understood. Just not looking to get taken for a sucker. I need to start somewhere.
Clock is showing about 70k and I believe it. No rust at all. Inside as clean as outside.
Haven’t been keeping up with the prices on the east coast so just putting the feelers out to get an idea. Again , I will try to upload some photos.

Only picks on my phone. I’ll have to get some real photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpeg
    IMG_0499.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Looks like it's pretty on par with all of the $6-8k CJ5's that I just saw on FB Marketplace... Except yours is a 4 banger and not a 258 6cyl or 304 V8.

$5k is probably a fair price.

Understood. Just not looking to get taken for a sucker. I need to start somewhere.
Clock is showing about 70k and I believe it. No rust at all. Inside as clean as outside.
Haven’t been keeping up with the prices on the east coast so just putting the feelers out to get an idea. Again , I will try to upload some photos.
People from all over can give their opinion on what it's worth, but the reality is your location is a major factor on what it's actually worth. There is where you do the leg work to find out what it's worth, local ads are where this information is and if there aren't any local, you keep expanding out till you get a base line. Then you can search for sites that help you gauge antique auto values to further help you refine your research. The more information you find, the closer you'll get to the reality of what it's worth is in your market area.

And after all of that, it's still only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. This is where negotiation comes in. Good luck... :beer:

That’s $10k easy in CA if the rest of the rig is that clean, and I feel I’m a little low for here.

Post in So. Cal that seems to be the height of the dumb pricing for everything.

Frank should have some good ideas.

That’s $10k easy in CA if the rest of the rig is that clean, and I feel I’m a little low for here.

Post in So. Cal that seems to be the height of the dumb pricing for everything.

Frank should have some good ideas.

Really?

I just went on Facebook Marketplace and searched for CJ5 within 100mi of Sacramento.

Most similar rigs are listed between $4k and $8k, and none that I saw were 4 bangers (which is easily a $1k deduct in value).

People from all over can give their opinion on what it's worth, but the reality is your location is a major factor on what it's actually worth. There is where you do the leg work to find out what it's worth, local ads are where this information is and if there aren't any local, you keep expanding out till you get a base line. Then you can search for sites that help you gauge antique auto values to further help you refine your research. The more information you find, the closer you'll get to the reality of what it's worth is in your market area.

And after all of that, it's still only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. This is where negotiation comes in. Good luck... :beer:
Appreciate it. 👍

Top Back Refresh