What's new

Tree Trimming side jobs?

RaginCaucasian

Member Number
Loc
Arvada, Colorado
Bought my house back in October and now come spring time I am noticing that 2 of my trees could use some trimming. Previous owner did not take care of the property at all and the trees have probably never been treated in any way. Then a few weeks ago my neighbor who is an older woman living by herself also approached me asking if we could get the trees trimmed, as she would hate to lose them since they provide decent shade for the houses and yards. One grows on our property line between the houses, so I figured we could split that. I called a tree trimmer that has trimmed most of my families trees for years and he quoted me roughly $3,000 and then on top of that would need to look at having the Ash injected to prevent some shit that's going around killing them. I will note that this guy has a tendency to over cut trees though and would end up taking some massive branches down. After getting the quote, my neighbor then tells me that her best friends son's friend works for a tree trimming and lawn service company, so she had him come out and see what he could do.

He showed up last night and I would say he's probably in his young to mid 20's. Says he's got one other guy that will come out that climbs and trims trees daily. He looks the trees over and says he can trim up the Elm by clearing just the dead. (This is the one between the houses with some branches extending over the houses, but not majorly). Says that he can clear most of the dead with extension poles, but will definitely be climbing the tree, and will only charge $275. Then he looks at the very large Ash tree I have in my back that sits behind my shop up against power lines. Previous tree guy said that it likely has never been trimmed and is surprised that the 2ft snow storm we had didn't take it out. Its limbs are quite long and extend way out from the base. Again this kid will likely just be clearing most of the dead branches to hopefully lighten the weight on the large limbs. This one he quoted $350.

After all this and with the prices he quoted, I realized that they intended this to be a side job and not through the company he works for. Originally I was under the impression that the company he worked for would be managing it as a licensed insured tree trimmer. So immediately this now sends up a bunch of red flags and realize that he could possibly hurt himself and I'd the responsible party. I'm not going to lie, the cheap part of me wants to hire him to at least get the dead cleared up, but obviously the sirens are going off that in todays day and age this is not a good idea. So now I can't help but wonder if this is something people actually do for side work? Would home owners insurance even cover someone in the instance that they did get hurt or drop a limb onto a house?

Last edited:
I am in the Stihl Chainsaw fan page on FB and I can't count the number of times someone posts some video of someone's BIL or nephew that was gonna trim a tree for them and shit goes sideways. What happens if friend's son's friend drops a bit limb on one of your houses or garage and packs his tools up and leaves? Who pays for that?

I am in the Stihl Chainsaw fan page on FB and I can't count the number of times someone posts some video of someone's BIL or nephew that was gonna trim a tree for them and shit goes sideways. What happens if friend's son's friend drops a bit limb on one of your houses or garage and packs his tools up and leaves? Who pays for that?
Exactly. I've never had to make an insurance claim for a branch falling on a house, but I imagine that if they can prove that it was caused by a person attempting to trim the tree that they won't want to cover it.

Sounds like you want a proper contractor with liability and workman's comp... which this kid isn't.

IME, find a local, professional one-man show arborist. He's likely have a pretty good rate if you're willing to do all the ground-work/cleanup.

Make sure there's no utility poles within striking distance. That's an entertaining way to ruin someone's day.

You already figured it out for yourself, the reason it's cheap, is because he doesn't have all the overhead of insurance, licensing, ect. Insurance for climbing tree trimmers is super expensive, because it's a dangerous job.

Whether you are comfortable with him doing it as a side job is completely up to you.

pretty good rate if you're willing to do all the ground-work/cleanup.
about 20 years ago I had a huge elm tree that had died and was hanging over the house, power lines and yard in general. this thing was 42"+ across the stump and several trunks. I called the local tree guy and told him just put it on the ground. I'll clean it up. Keep in mind this was 20 years ago but it was $250 and less than half if he cleaned up. i was a broke dick kid and $250 was almost a week's pay but I sure as hell didnt have $500+.

Cut down the ash tree its gonna die anyway.
If it near power lines call the utility that will trim have them take it down

If it near power lines call the utility that will trim have them take it down
ehhhhhh

looks at folder of requests

There are currently 945 requests in the folder of customers saying trees are in danger of taking out the lines. About one in fifty are legit requests. The others are people just wanted free tree work. We won't take a tree down just because its near the lines. That thing needs to be rotted to the core, dangling by the bark, and well over the weight to snap a line for us to take it down.

Not sure what it is this year, but last year the tree crew budget was $600,000. We blew through that by September. We cut tree crews down from three days a week to two now. That shit ain't cheap. :laughing:

Did a lot of side tree work when I was younger, I was just the pilot. Good friend of mine had been a professional that liked doing side work after he left the industry, he did all the felling.

If the guy does it for a living I'd trust him to some degree, at least more than your cousin's buddy's nephew who owns a saw.

Sounds like you want a proper contractor with liability and workman's comp... which this kid isn't.

IME, find a local, professional one-man show arborist. He's likely have a pretty good rate if you're willing to do all the ground-work/cleanup.
The original guy I had come out is pretty much a one man show. Just him cutting and his wife managing the books. He used to give us great pricing, but lately has gotten way more expensive, but I guess what hasn't

woods is right. The utility doesn't want to deal with your private overhead triplex tree/branch clearing. They will take it down for you to do the work, and hook you back up.

The exception is if you have some tall dead thing that's going to reach their distribution if/when it falls. They (or their contractor) take those trees down without even asking you.

woods is right. The utility doesn't want to deal with your private overhead triplex tree/branch clearing. They will take it down for you to do the work, and hook you back up.

The exception is if you have some tall dead thing that's going to reach their distribution if/when it falls. They (or their contractor) take those trees down without even asking you.
yep. I've got five lines rolled back just today for tree crews this weekend.

Friend of my BILs was hired on the side to trim my across the street neighbors tree which hangs in power lines.

Felling a big limb went sideways when it hung up and the lead line pull out of the ground guys hand, ended up bridging the power lines to the tree solidly. Lit the guy in the tree up, he jumped off the trunk but his tie off kept swinging him back into it. Every time he touched, he screamed. He ended up just undoing his harness and falling the 15' to the ground rather than die. Ended up with some burns and just a sprained ankle. Harrowing to watch.

Kid that was in the tree was going to school to be an arborist, changed his major, and doesn't climb tress anymore.

IMG_20160423_131508654_zpsdpmf6yrx.jpg

That's the chunk of limb that was against the line.

If he had died in that tree, which was not far off, I have no idea of the liabilities my neighbor may have faced let alone the simple fact a guy would be hanging dead in the tree outside your house cooking until the poco got out there to throw the knife gates. Food for thought.

Friend of my BILs was hired on the side to trim my across the street neighbors tree which hangs in power lines.

Felling a big limb went sideways when it hung up and the lead line pull out of the ground guys hand, ended up bridging the power lines to the tree solidly. Lit the guy in the tree up, he jumped off the trunk but his tie off kept swinging him back into it. Every time he touched, he screamed. He ended up just undoing his harness and falling the 15' to the ground rather than die. Ended up with some burns and just a sprained ankle. Harrowing to watch.

Kid that was in the tree was going to school to be an arborist, changed his major, and doesn't climb tress anymore.

IMG_20160423_131508654_zpsdpmf6yrx.jpg

That's the chunk of limb that was against the line.

If he had died in that tree, which was not far off, I have no idea of the liabilities my neighbor may have faced let alone the simple fact a guy would be hanging dead in the tree outside your house cooking until the poco got out there to throw the knife gates. Food for thought.
yea, don't fuck around with trees and don't fuck around with powerlines. :homer:

If its more than you can do yourself, it's too much for an uninsured tree guy.
this is how I feel
I do all my own tree work and will take down anything needed that I own.
drop them from below or climb and top down

but I will not do it for others if it has any potential for damage to property

ehhhhhh

looks at folder of requests

There are currently 945 requests in the folder of customers saying trees are in danger of taking out the lines. About one in fifty are legit requests. The others are people just wanted free tree work. We won't take a tree down just because its near the lines. That thing needs to be rotted to the core, dangling by the bark, and well over the weight to snap a line for us to take it down.

Not sure what it is this year, but last year the tree crew budget was $600,000. We blew through that by September. We cut tree crews down from three days a week to two now. That shit ain't cheap. :laughing:
I have the tallest tree in the neighborhood. It's a spruce. :eek:
It will eventually need to come down. I have a MS461 with a 36" bar and it won't touch this tree. I need to actually put a tape on its circumference. It's massively huge.

edit: quote to take it down = $7k :eek:

My wife runs the largest tree company in Northern NV. They make good money unfucking up side jobs the other tree companies guys do on the weekends...

Some things are just worth paying for. Her company carries a bunch of insurance and a they have a few certified arborists on the crew. You don't want the kid who stays on the ground cutting up branches to feed to the chipper doing work over your house.

Tons of tree guys do the easy cheap jobs their company would give a fuck you quote for in their free time. We're talking easy jobs but stuff that won't make the company money.

If shit goes sideways homeowners insurance generally picks up the tab unless there was negligence involved.

Idiots like the ones all up in this thread seem to be doing their best to equate lack of a company and insurance with negligence.

Based on where the tree lands and what cuts were made where it's pretty fucking easy to reconstruct what happened and decide whether or not the guy doing the cutting knew what the fuck he was doing.

Assuming the dude has health insurance, why the fuck would he sue you if he was the one fucking around? It's just not worth his time for the small likelihood of success. All you Karens need to spend some time thinking before you open your mouths.

If you're not incurring the overhead of a crew of dudes paid by the hour and a bunch of trucks and you have the time to be conservative it's really, really fucking easy to take down trees safely if you can climb.

You already figured it out for yourself, the reason it's cheap, is because he doesn't have all the overhead of insurance, licensing, ect. Insurance for climbing tree trimmers is super expensive, because it's a dangerous job.

Whether you are comfortable with him doing it as a side job is completely up to you.
No, it's cheap because he doesn't have a payroll of dudes who spend a third of their time on their phones and a third of their time with their thumbs up their asses and he's not getting raped by the state for commercial truck reg and so on. Insurance costs money but it's not that much.
If its more than you can do yourself, it's too much for an uninsured tree guy.
Bullshit.

There are tons and tons of people who have easy jobs but are old, unsure of their abilities, would rather pay than get lectured by their wife, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Oh and my cousin's great Aunt knows a guy that stayed at a holiday inn..

Lets see some pics of these trees from multiple angles. Being up against power lines and your shop doesn't mean shit if the thing has all the branches pointed right were the best place to drop it is.

They can be one in the same ya know…
Being <20 miles away from him I know the system in this state, public works / road agent doesn't deal with that shit here.

Woods if you got a connection in the local power company, help me get this cocksuckin power pole out of the middle of my yard!

Top Back Refresh