What's new

Tree Trimming side jobs?

EB38762D-5CCA-493C-87E2-062D787CE6D3.jpeg
9E2506A1-3980-48AF-B4E8-91A35916325F.jpeg
497FAC45-DC08-4081-9616-31DCE05CAD91.jpeg

My dad was at one of his rentals last night and there was a truck a few houses down that had their company name on it, so I gave the guy a call. He stated he was finishing up a small job and would head over within the hour today. He just left, but he seemed a lot more knowledgeable about the trees and what's going on with with them. Apparently started off his career trimming for utilities and was OSHA certified. Said the elm is in bad shape and that we can trim back the branches hanging over the houses and cut out all the limbs growing downward to the ground and get it growing up again and see if it bounces back. Also will clear out the bunched up areas to get light back into the tree. Will do the same with the Ash and with all the limbs growing downward, so there's some big ones that will be taken out. His total quote was $1300.

What is it that makes some guys think that just because they can start a chainsaw and they once watched someone else cut a tree down, that they are gods gift to arboristing...

It's like putting a beer and a wrench into the hands of that type of dumbass and all of a sudden they turn into ASE certified and a mechanical engineer all rolled into one

It just seems to be one of those industries where you really have to watch out for people who talk a big professional game but don't have a clue what they are actually doing

Even the guy running the Oregon (bar and chain) class claimed to only know "some of it" (@35+ yrs in feild):stirthepot:
Fun and easy, sure.
Go work a blowdown and come report back...
Post 36 geez, could ya give him some more room???:flipoff2:
Ugly stump!

Well I got nuthin.
My point was, lets all hire unlicensed contractors and then bitch about gettin sued when they trip?
Or wonder what happened to legit companies?!
Or my fav
drop said tree into the house, then disappears!
Edited for clarification

Last edited:
Great post, my house has 5 70' pine trees, I think they are spruce, I know they aren't hemlocks though know jack about tree ID. Most of the houses in my neighborhood have cut them down though my house house still has them. They make a huge mess and I don't think they've been trimmed in years. I'd like them gone though I don't think that's in the budget/ I don't feel comfortable dropping them my self. I'm tempted to rent a genie and report to the fail thread when I drop a limb on my noggin. Luckily most aren't right over the house.

I also need to talk with my realtor about trees affecting property value. I know I wasn't real excited about them and was excited about another place that didn't have trees to deal with. They do help with the "Alaska Look" of my place though which may or may not be a selling point if we ever decide to sell.

The first step is to get a couple tree guys out for an estimate. If the estimate is anywhere where I think it will be the plan is to attempt to not kill myself and do them on my own.

I do these sort of work on the side. Every once in a while I turned down the job due to insufficient big equipment/engine to complete the job myself.

That said, I always take responsibility for any damage I've done to the job. Though, whomever refer me to the next person are happy with my work and only refer to good person and so on. They save a bit and I pocket a bit, win win.

Check with family and friends if they know a trusted person doing these sort of work on their own time. Otherwise, keep getting couple more quotes.

Haha. You're fucked. Surrounded on three sides and there's shit on the ground you don't want to hit on the 4th means that the only way that thing is coming down is piece by piece.

Just pay your insurance and cross your fingers for a good storm that lays it into the power lines and into the street.

Tannerite. The only proper way to bring down a rogue tree is with tannerite
ANFO is cheaper.

Fuck the government.

Cheap ain’t good, and good ain’t cheap.

I pay just shy of a grand every couple years to have a crew come out and trim my live oaks, elm, and pecan. They’re licensed insured arborists and do a fantastic job. No way would I pay someone on the side for a job like that with so many potential liabilities.

Reactions: Clb
Thread has gone on too long.

Get climbing gear; take your trees down by your own hand. :flipoff2:
that's what I did as well
have 20 plus trees that either need to be removed but cant be dropped from the bottom, so I bought the gear and climb them.
spurs for those I am removing, on a rope for limbing or dead tops to be removed.

here is a 90 foot pine I did a few months ago. no safe way to fall it in any direction.
took all the branches off then went back up and dropped the top and piece by piece the trunk

90 foot pine.jpg

There’s a steep learning curve there.......

of course it is s steep learning curve
damn trees are nearly vertical here :flipoff2:

I would not recommend it for anyone, but if done right, I am comfortable doing my own trees.
wish I had started doing it years ago. at 60 I am not running up and down that fast, but it is fun. :laughing:

.... My buddy is a climber and willing to teach me.

What kind of gear and spurs do you have? I want to buy it once and get as much use as I can out of it
having someone who knows what they are doing, and show you the correct (and safe) way is priceless.

I bought a complete kit through WesSpur
the one I got came with Buckingham tree spurs, Spartan harness
very happy with both

Top Back Refresh