What's new

Trannys: let's talk about them!

So you're ok with trannies as long as you're not trying to procreate?:flipoff2:
As mentioned do the governor pressure sensor and solenoid, adjust the bands while you're there and a new filter. I've fixed a number of Dodges with your complaint by doing this. And use the Mopar ATF, not Dexron or Mercon.

What's the deal with band adjustment? Haven't got to that tranny er chapter yet.

This look right? Looks like bands are adjusted with valve body off...
16041902264791785866542957630710.jpg

While we're on the subject,

Overbear is there any reason I can't late-ish model 4EATs in my 1st gen shitboxes? I can't find anyone who's done it but it seems like the only differences are wiring and a filter.

You don't have to drop the valve body to do the band adjustments, only the pan for the rear band, front band can be done with pan on. For that matter I don't think you have to drop the valve body for the governor pressure sensor and solenoid but it's been a few years since I've done them so my memory might be a bit fuzzy.

Back on track.

1.Do I need the gasket for the block these go into to valve body?

2. Do I have to pull the valve body to adjust the low/reverse band? If so, should I?

Answer these and we can get back to the tranny talk.:flipoff2:

You don't have to drop the valve body to do the band adjustments, only the pan for the rear band, front band can be done with pan on. For that matter I don't think you have to drop the valve body for the governor pressure sensor and solenoid but it's been a few years since I've done them so my memory might be a bit fuzzy.

Thanks! Will be getting balls deep into it soon.

Well it appears in my drunken stupor last night with you assholes advice and staring at the service manual for hours, I ordered parts.

And they look like the right parts.:cool2:
Screenshot_20201101-040354_Chrome.jpg

Also.

Thanks for the help you fucking assholes. You ever find yourself at the bottom of Lake Huron, give me a holler and I'll give you food and booze in a non romantic manner.

Edit: At the southern tip, not the bottom. If you're at the bottom, you're probably drowned and calling me won't help.
:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Update for something besides politics:

Finally tore it apart. You have to remove the governor body that the sensor and solenoid mount on to get them out. So waiting on a gasket for that. Fluid looks ok. Solenoid screens were plugged. I'll get it back together when the governor body gasket arrives in a couple days.

P.S. Fuck you guys for not telling me I needed this gasket. :flipoff2:
20201107_150125.jpg
20201107_150139.jpg
20201107_150318.jpg
20201107_150446.jpg
20201107_150615.jpg

Amateurs reuse gaskets that operate under pressure. :flipoff2:

dude valvebody gaskets never get replaced
just as likely to have the new one cut wrong or lined up slightly wrong than to have the old one fail
way cheaper to just buy the kit with just frictions

[486 said:
;n188241]

dude valvebody gaskets never get replaced
just as likely to have the new one cut wrong or lined up slightly wrong than to have the old one fail
way cheaper to just buy the kit with just frictions

I'm no transmission guy.

When I work, almost everything gets cleaned, inspected and new gaskets. New parts are inspected.

Just me.:confused:

Edit: Also, almost always torqued to spec.:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Edit: Also, almost always torqued to spec.:flipoff2:

co-winkie-dinkily valvebody work is one of the very few places I do use my torque wrench
way too easy to hamfist those little dinky bolts and strip them or (i'm told) bend something and stick one of the spool valves

[486 said:
;n188292]

co-winkie-dinkily valvebody work is one of the very few places I do use my torque wrench
way too easy to hamfist those little dinky bolts and strip them or (i'm told) bend something and stick one of the spool valves

Got her back together this morning. New sensor and solenoid did the trick.

Thanks for the help. Fuckers! :flipoff2:

Edit. Gasket info fyi.

Screenshot_20201114-143614_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201114-143756_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh