What's new

Trannys: let's talk about them!

Ugly pumpkin

Member Number
Loc
Port Huron, Michigan
:flipoff2:

Cross post from newb 4x4 because you deviants never leave cc and I need your help.

1997 ram extended cab long bed 5.2 46re np231 4x4

The trans is problematic.
Fluid is propper level, color and smell.

Visual inspection only reveals a bit of slop in shift linkage at the column and trans.

It hunts for gears at low speed/throttle and medium/high speed/throttle.

Shifts to soon or to late in above scenarios.

Going to eyefuck the book tonight and dig into it tomorrow if I'm not to fuzzy.
16041805578573472712594097086103.jpg

Governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor would be where I'd start looking.

Something that comes to mind: 245x75x16 was stock tire size.

265x75x16 are what's on it.

Service manual says governor pressure solenoid modulates pressure to match mph.

Thoughts???

Governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor would be where I'd start looking.

This... fixed many of them @ work, common issue. You can install a pressure gauge and verify 1psi per MPH with a scan tool up to around 50mph, or just replace the sensor and solenoid 'cause that's what's causing the issues. :flipoff2: BTW, installing a shift kit will only make it worse, don't ask me how I know that... :laughing::lmao:

This... fixed many of them @ work, common issue. You can install a pressure gauge and verify 1psi per MPH with a scan tool up to around 50mph, or just replace the sensor and solenoid 'cause that's what's causing the issues. :flipoff2: BTW, installing a shift kit will only make it worse, don't ask me how I know that... :laughing::lmao:

Ok. Slap em both in. Any old brand good? Amazon has the pair for~$80. Any other oddball parts needed?

I get the pressure gauge and mph. What is the scan tool for?

Ok. Slap em both in. Any old brand good? Amazon has the pair for~$80. Any other oddball parts needed?

I get the pressure gauge and mph. What is the scan tool for?

To verify that the actual pressure is equal to the commanded pressure. This verifys that the pressure sensor is working.

Last edited:

Am I ok with aftermarket replacements? Any other parts needed? Does valve body have to be dropped?

Am I ok with aftermarket replacements? Any other parts needed? Does valve body have to be dropped?

Depends on the year, early ones had the retainer clips inside the VB, later ones you only had to drop the block they fit into. Takes a small TORX (T-25 IIRC) and there's four long 6mm (?) screws holding it to the main VB...

Only time I used MOPAR stuff was when the customer couldn't wait for the aftermarket stuff to come in from out of town.

If it's something you're planning on keeping, look into the GM solenoid conversion.

I believe Rostra makes a HD pressure sensor for the 46re, I have one somewhere in the shop waiting to go into my 48re...

If it's just a beater or a flip, throw in whatever's cheap and run it.

To verify that the actual pressure is equal to the commanded pressure. This verifys that the pressure sensor is working.

If it fails this test, it still doesn't nail down one or the other? One could be reading wrong and the other could be modulating wrong.
Are the $80 Amazon solenoids going to get the job done? I'm already over budget.

Edit. Now that I have drank more, my logic seems off in the above post.

If actual pressure does not equal command pressure, governor solenoid is bad.

That's as far as I got.

Last edited:
If it fails this test, it still doesn't nail down one or the other? One could be reading wrong and the other could be modulating wrong.
Are the $80 Amazon solenoids going to get the job done? I'm already over budget.

I never bother checking any more, just slap both of them in and call it good. You're in there anyways, why risk having to do it over if you pick on the wrong component? If the cost of the second component (whichever one it is) is going to break you, you should probably be walking instead of driving a P/U truck. :flipoff2: :lmao:

I never bother checking any more, just slap both of them in and call it good. You're in there anyways, why risk having to do it over if you pick on the wrong component? If the cost of the second component (whichever one it is) is going to break you, you should probably be walking instead of driving a P/U truck. :flipoff2: :lmao:

So just solenoids is all I need?

It's a dodge, drive the oil burning wreck to the scrap yard and cut your losses.

also, there is no such thing as chicks with dicks, just guys with tits.

:flipoff2:

Its replacing a 76 chevy truck. :flipoff2:

I'm out on both. I have an outie and like humans with innies for mating purposes.

So you're ok with trannies as long as you're not trying to procreate?:flipoff2:
As mentioned do the governor pressure sensor and solenoid, adjust the bands while you're there and a new filter. I've fixed a number of Dodges with your complaint by doing this. And use the Mopar ATF, not Dexron or Mercon.

So you're ok with trannies as long as you're not trying to procreate?:flipoff2:
As mentioned do the governor pressure sensor and solenoid, adjust the bands while you're there and a new filter. I've fixed a number of Dodges with your complaint by doing this.

Yes. If I want kids, I'll buy them from overseas.

seems like that's the plan.

These look right?
20201031_200752.jpg
20201031_201429.jpg

Top Back Refresh