What's new

Trailer

The flow chart does not say GCWR, so I can kinda see how you could interpret it that way.
It does…
Assume you you have a 26,000lbs GVWR power unit and 10,000lbs GTWR trailer.

Go back to the chart. You’ll land at “No CDL required”

I’ve looked at it multiple times and I don’t see it. Bourbon May be the reason, but I don’t think so?

Attachments

• IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 4
Everything is always open to interpretation, I met a guy in California who towed a pop up trailer behind his boat or car trailer. Said he'd "talked to a chp, who said it was legal" yet Everything I've ever read or heard said the front trailer must be kingpin/5th wheel. Yet he had been doing it, so who was I to argue. I'm betting eventually, he'll end up in court, but who knows.

I'm 99% they way trailtaimer is interpreting the law is wrong, but not 100% :laughing:

Literally everything but that flow chart says Ober 26k gross is cdl, period.

depend on state.

Federal level and several states it’s GVWR/GVW of 26,000 lbs or less and 10k GTWR/GTW or less and for personal use.

1692407740889.jpeg

I don’t know how I can make this any clearer.
I kinda hate to say it, but he seems right.

Have to go full thread hijack and stop thinking about pickups and goosenecks.

On the flowchart, you don’t get to Gross Combined unless the trailer is over 10k. A 9,999 trailer goes over to Class B, and if the tow vehicle is under 26 = no B license needed.

On the legal description, only Class A mentions Combined. But trailer has to be over 10 to fall under this.

So a 22k GVWR Class A RV can hook up a 9,999 trailer and be fine without more license. Or school bus, or U-Haul, etc.

Everything is always open to interpretation, I met a guy in California who towed a pop up trailer behind his boat or car trailer. Said he'd "talked to a chp, who said it was legal" yet Everything I've ever read or heard said the front trailer must be kingpin/5th wheel. Yet he had been doing it, so who was I to argue. I'm betting eventually, he'll end up in court, but who knows.

I'm 99% they way trailtaimer is interpreting the law is wrong, but not 100% :laughing:

Literally everything but that flow chart says Ober 26k gross is cdl, period.
I’ve seen lot a of bumper / bumper run up 80 over the summit going East.

It's a shitty flow chart that missed a step.

It even contradicts its self.

"Is the GROSS COMBINED WIEGHT RATING 26,001 or more?"

Yes -> Class A

That's all you need to know, but go ahead and run around a 36k lbs with a class c. Make sure to tell the dot cop "but muh Flo chart" when they shut you down on the side of the highway. :flipoff2:

I am looking for a trailer to haul two Jeeps - one a Gladiator and one a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I think the Wrangler is 15’8” and 5,000-ish lbs and the Gladiator is 18’2” and is 5,500-ish lbs.

My truck’s GVWR is 11,350 lbs. Can I get by with a 34’ 14,000 GVWR gooseneck that weighs 6,700 lbs by having part of the load on the truck or will I likely be overweight?

I want to keep the total combined GVWR below 26,100 to avoid special licenses.

It looks like you can get a non CDL class A license in Texas but it seems to be limited to RV and farm use (and a few other irrelevant uses) m, but not towing toys to go play. Does anyone know if you can get that license for towing toys?
What I've always been told about a gooseneck/5th wheel transferring weight from the trailer to the truck, was the ideal expectation was between 15-20% of the total trailer weight to transfer to the truck.

I've always been told that if the Truck Sticker + Trailer Sticker equals less than 26,001 on paper, then you are good to go. However, that's subject to one LEO having a bad day while you actually weigh 29k pounds from ending poorly for you.

I've been down the rabbit hole of truck + trailer weights a few different times, and it is always clear as muddy water once 26,001 pounds is exceeded.

What I've always been told about a gooseneck/5th wheel transferring weight from the trailer to the truck, was the ideal expectation was between 15-20% of the total trailer weight to transfer to the truck.

I've always been told that if the Truck Sticker + Trailer Sticker equals less than 26,001 on paper, then you are good to go. However, that's subject to one LEO having a bad day while you actually weigh 29k pounds from ending poorly for you.

I've been down the rabbit hole of truck + trailer weights a few different times, and it is always clear as muddy water once 26,001 pounds is exceeded.

It's all rated weights for license purposes, then measured weights for tags or dot. Truck gvwr plus trailer gvwr = 26,001 or more and trailer is over 10k by itself equals class A in most states.

Source: I have to have a class A license in NC for my f550 and 14k rated trailer. NC has non commercial class a licenses which makes it easier.

You are spot on. Any combination over 26,000 of truck and trailer rated weight is cdl. Even if you are carrying one bag of cement. Nephew owns a big fencing company and has been hounded by the dot. He finally quit buying dual wheel trucks and had the trailer manufacturer derate his trailers. Next time dot pulled his guys over to slap the usual fines on em their hands were tied.

It's a shitty flow chart that missed a step.

It even contradicts its self.

"Is the GROSS COMBINED WIEGHT RATING 26,001 or more?"

Yes -> Class A
IF you have a trailer that is over 10,001# GVWR, you keep skipping over that step.
Here's a screenshot with that step circled so you can see where you need to go:
Screenshot_20230827-143547-541.png

If the trailer GVWR is under 10,001# GVWR AND the truck GVWR is under 26,001#, as long as you aren't carrying 16+people or hazmat, you only need a Class C to legally gross 36,000#.

Aaron Z

IF you have a trailer that is over 10,001# GVWR, you keep skipping over that step.
Here's a screenshot with that step circled so you can see where you need to go:
Screenshot_20230827-143547-541.png

If the trailer GVWR is under 10,001# GVWR AND the truck GVWR is under 26,001#, as long as you aren't carrying 16+people or hazmat, you only need a Class C to legally gross 36,000#.

Aaron Z

I don't know how many different ways to say it, but 26k+ is class a. If you want to take one shitty flow chart as law, go ahead :flipoff2:

I don't know how many different ways to say it, but 26k+ is class a.
You seem to miss the fact that IF the trailer GVWR is 10,000# or less the rules are different than if the trailer GVWR is over 10,000#

If you want to take one shitty flow chart as law, go ahead :flipoff2:
Lets get back to the basics and read the class descriptions in their entirety and not skip the parts that punch holes in your argument?

Lets take a hypothetical 25,990 GVWR truck with 5 seats, towing a 9,990 GVWR trailer, no hazmat.

Here is what the FMCSA says for license class limits: Drivers | FMCSA
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/drivers said:
Class A*: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

• Truck GVWR is under 26,001
  • Adding the trailer GVWR WOULD put us over 26k
  • BUT since the trailer GVWR/GVW is under 10,000 it does NOT get included in the GCWR
As it says: inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.
So, Class A is NOT required as it doesn't fit the description of the class

Class B*: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
Truck GVWR is under 26k, Trailer GVWR is under 10k
So, Class B is NOT required as it doesn't fit the description of the class

Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.
Does not meet Class A or B, under 16 passengers, no hazmat.
So, Class C is NOT required

That means that we have run out of CDL classes which leaves (drumroll) Class D (regular driver, no CDL needed).

To reiterate the list, here is NY's list of classes (from: https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/osss/repository/cdl101.pdf )
1693176005966.png

For Class D they state:
  • GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less
  • May tow a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less;
  • or may tow a vehicle of more than 10,000 pounds providing the GCWR is not over 26,000 pounds
  • RV GVWR 26,000 pounds or less
As such, with a Class D license you can tow a trailer of 10k GVWR or less behind a vehicle with a GVWR of 26k or less (ie: up to 36K GCWR IF (and ONLY IF) the trailer is under 10k GVWR).
You can also tow a trailer of over 10k GVWR with a class D license as long as your GCWR remains under 26k

They also list a non-CDL Class C which I think is a holdover from when you couldn't get endorsements on a Class D license and is there for legacy reasons only.
Either way, the weight restrictions are the same as a Class D.

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh