What's new

Trailer jacks.

i wanted to offset the jack for his trailer because the pin and foot pad were hard to get to, i built him a tool box for the tongue thats very tall so i could get a winch inside and still have room, the box was so tall i HAD to offset the jack to clear the side wind handle on the jack so it worked out great :laughing:
I know the feeling. I just moved a spare tire on a tilt deck dump trailer and now the thing won't stay down for loading :homer:
Had to weld in some 1" plate under the rear to offset.

On the one I did there was wayyy more than enough stroke to have the foot plate slightly above the drop leg jack foot and still raise the tongue to crazy heights

It is a 24" travel cylinder

True.

I guess I more mean I don't want it sticking up too high, but also don't want it hanging down. :homer: it's probably no different than any other jack though.

I know the feeling. I just moved a spare tire on a tilt deck dump trailer and now the thing won't stay down for loading :homer:
Had to weld in some 1" plate under the rear to offset.
:laughing:

heres the offset jack
IMG_20220511_120127.jpg

Is that your 301.7cr in the background? How do you like it?
Its my buddies, same guy that owns the trailer.
It is bad ass IMO. I am biased FYI.
"skid steer" mode is mind-blowing
AC and interior comforts are amazing for the size of the machine.

I just replaced my main water line and what a joy it was.
Built in thumb was awesome for some tree work and ditch cleaning I did.
No idea if it was worth the price but it is bad ass.

1652379318506.png

1652379393067.png

1652379482285.png

Last edited:
Its my buddies, same guy that owns the trailer.
It is bad ass IMO. I am biased FYI.
"skid steer" mode is mind-blowing
AC and interior comforts are amazing for the size of the machine.

I just replaced my main water line and what a joy it was.
Built in thumb was awesome for some tree work and ditch cleaning I did.
No idea if it was worth the price but it is bad ass.
I have the Hitachi 17. Same as John Deere 17. Mine doesn't have factory foot pedals, so I had to make my own, which works well, but there isn't much room for my clown shoes. Also, since there wasn't factory foot pedals, the go fast button is a foot pedal, so I had to move that to the horn button. Annoying for sure

Last edited:
IMO Best place for a bulldog style jack on a TAG trailer is right where the tongue meets the front bar of the trailer, like this. Can't put a toolbox against the front of the trailer on the tongue, but other than that, it's ideal for tailgate clearance, lifting effort, etc. The bulldog ones just get welded on, or you can weld on bolt flanges to the jack+trailer.

1651674376149.png

I had a deckover version if this
can confirm, this is the spot you want it, not much improvement can be made this side of hydraulic :smokin:

Was a good deal on Amazon warehouse, so I opted for lazy. Both with the jack and not breaking out the grinder and welder to get it on the trailer.

Doesn't help me with the tailgate clearance but life is nicer just pushing a button. It may actually clear the gate with my WD hitch if I turn the motor sideways.

20220510_165516.jpg

Yes, I know I need to put some paint on the frame

Was a good deal on Amazon warehouse, so I opted for lazy. Both with the jack and not breaking out the grinder and welder to get it on the trailer.

Doesn't help me with the tailgate clearance but life is nicer just pushing a button. It may actually clear the gate with my WD hitch if I turn the motor sideways.

Yes, I know I need to put some paint on the frame
That is the style my RV has and i bent the leg trying to get my trailer unhooked one time (I have a funky WD hitch).
I want to build a uhaul style drop frame out of aluminum and use the electric jack on a pivot to prevent that in the future.
I have some old Parker "trim" pumps from a Lockhead satellite trailer that I am tempted to use on a hydraulic cylinder but weight is becoming a problem in the RV.

for the car hauler types, I install a jack that is about twice the capacity that you think will ever be on there

this allows you to easily unhook it when the trailer has a load on it
drop log is non negotiable must

Goes for any trailer.

The ratings on them seem over done. I have a 5k lb jack on my little landscape trailer, which is 80% of the total trailer weight. Yet it still seems to be somewhat hard to turn with a 3k lb rig on the trailer. I know the tounge is no where near even 1k. I mean it works fine, but I'd have a really hard time believing it could dead lift 5k lbs.

My machine hanging off a side hill, chained to the other machine :lmao:

What do you do where you need that size?

I've always felt that anything smaller than about a 35 was too small for much, unless you absolutely had to go through a gate.

I run a 55 daily and I do sometimes wish for smaller but also sometimes bigger. We make it work until we can't. I rented a 06 or something the other day to do a water line in downtown sandpoint. It was 30" wide with the tracks in :laughing:

It was great for what we did because we had to dig in a ~6' space between a house and fence, but i would have a hard time justifying buying something that small.

True.

I guess I more mean I don't want it sticking up too high, but also don't want it hanging down. :homer: it's probably no different than any other jack though.
What about one of those fastway "flip jack foot" deals? I have been thinking about picking up one for my utility trailer to make it so I don't have to wind the jack 90 million turns (estimated) to get the foot either down all the way to lift off hitch or up all the way so it doesn't drag pulling into my parents driveway. They have a dip right before driveway climbs about 3 feet so if you dont have it wound up it drags so I would actually have to trim a bit off the bottom so the foot folds up tight enough.
flipjacks.jpg

What do you do where you need that size?

I've always felt that anything smaller than about a 35 was too small for much, unless you absolutely had to go through a gate.

I run a 55 daily and I do sometimes wish for smaller but also sometimes bigger. We make it work until we can't. I rented a 06 or something the other day to do a water line in downtown sandpoint. It was 30" wide with the tracks in :laughing:

It was great for what we did because we had to dig in a ~6' space between a house and fence, but i would have a hard time justifying buying something that small.
I work for an excavation company (BIL) and he has a 50 and a 135 along with a 333e tracked skid steer.

So, for me, I wanted to buy a machine that I could justify the price of, and that no one else (in our group) had. So I bought the 17. Brand new.

It is a personal machine, that I use on the job on average of once a month, but it is enough to pay the payment. :smokin:

It goes from 4'2" down to 3'3". I wish it went to 3'2" so I could squeeze through a 38" hole.

I got the open cab so we can unbolt it and go into a basement, or under decks . Besides, I wouldn't fit into an enclosed cab that small anyway.:homer:

What about one of those fastway "flip jack foot" deals? I have been thinking about picking up one for my utility trailer to make it so I don't have to wind the jack 90 million turns (estimated) to get the foot either down all the way to lift off hitch or up all the way so it doesn't drag pulling into my parents driveway. They have a dip right before driveway climbs about 3 feet so if you dont have it wound up it drags so I would actually have to trim a bit off the bottom so the foot folds up tight enough.

Are you familiar with drop legs? :laughing:

I work for an excavation company (BIL) and he has a 50 and a 135 along with a 333e tracked skid steer.

So, for me, I wanted to buy a machine that I could justify the price of, and that no one else (in our group) had. So I bought the 17. Brand new.

It is a personal machine, that I use on the job on average of once a month, but it is enough to pay the payment. :smokin:

It goes from 4'2" down to 3'3". I wish it went to 3'2" so I could squeeze through a 38" hole.

I got the open cab so we can unbolt it and go into a basement, or under decks . Besides, I wouldn't fit into an enclosed cab that small anyway.:homer:

Gotcha, I figure there is place for every machine. Was just curious if there was something specific you were using it for.

:flipoff2: The type I've dealt with you pull the spring loaded pin and the foot extends down then as you wind jack it catches the next adjustment hole. I haven't dealt with these yet but seem to get rid of the bending down to pull pin and seem bit easier to retrofit to existing jack.

I'm a fan of bulldog jacks, out of the various trailer jacks the we have they are the smoothest.
Picture of the one I mounted.
20211222_134558.jpg

:flipoff2: The type I've dealt with you pull the spring loaded pin and the foot extends down then as you wind jack it catches the next adjustment hole. I haven't dealt with these yet but seem to get rid of the bending down to pull pin and seem bit easier to retrofit to existing jack.

It's all good if you're always on flat ground. In my experience, sometimes I'm on the 2nd hole, sometimes it's 4th, ect.

I'm a fan of bulldog jacks, out of the various trailer jacks the we have they are the smoothest.
Picture of the one I mounted.

I need to get that style pin release for mine.

Top Back Refresh