What's new

Trailer batteries

update to this.
I charged the battery for a couple days with the on board trickle charger. been using the dump trailer power wire that I linked above and have not had any issues. Ran 8 loads today and loads averaged 5.5 ton each with 3 loads being 6 tons. I guess the dump trailer battery not being fully charged was hurting me?

update to this.
I charged the battery for a couple days with the on board trickle charger. been using the dump trailer power wire that I linked above and have not had any issues. Ran 8 loads today and loads averaged 5.5 ton each with 3 loads being 6 tons. I guess the dump trailer battery not being fully charged was hurting me?

So it's lifting no problem? Or are you cheating the wieght back?

have hauled quite a few loads with this trailer now and other than Monday when the loader guy put about 6.5 tons on it and it was pretty tongue heavy it lifts it fine. Dump trailer wiring on the truck batteries to the back was a solid investment. No worries about killing the trailer battery midway thru the day and being in a pickle.

have hauled quite a few loads with this trailer now and other than Monday when the loader guy put about 6.5 tons on it and it was pretty tongue heavy it lifts it fine. Dump trailer wiring on the truck batteries to the back was a solid investment. No worries about killing the trailer battery midway thru the day and being in a pickle.
For sure and to be clear the trailer I setup doesn't have a trailer battery at all.

Let's talk dump trailer battery. I run a 2ga cable thru an Anderson plug to my dump trailer battery. For the battery connection I just connected the leads to the 5/16" posts on the battery. The hydraulic pump is connected to the battery via the battery posts. Should I connect the 2ga leads from the truck to the battery posts? Are the 5/16" threaded posts directly tied to regular round posts inside the case? or is there a disconnect? Reason I ask is when making multiple runs I want the maximum juice available.
Years ago I read that you should not use the screw in/side posts on a battery when pulling a lot of amps from the battery (winch, etc.). The pic I saw showed the side posts were only connected to the plates internally with thin strips of metal. Not sure if side posts are still connected the same way in batteries today or not.
But since it sounds like you are just using the side posts for charging, you'll probably be ok, IMO.

The dump trailer battery is a marine style battery with the standard top posts plus the 5/16" or so threaded posts right next to it. I have ran quite a few loads with the trailer now and no issues dumping unless the loader guy puts 6+ tons on it and gets it too far forward. I carry a Hi-Lift jack with me just in case. lift it 6-8" and it will normally go ahead and lift it.

The dump trailer battery is a marine style battery with the standard top posts plus the 5/16" or so threaded posts right next to it. I have ran quite a few loads with the trailer now and no issues dumping unless the loader guy puts 6+ tons on it and gets it too far forward. I carry a Hi-Lift jack with me just in case. lift it 6-8" and it will normally go ahead and lift it.
Oh, ok. I gotcha.

Years ago I read that you should not use the screw in/side posts on a battery when pulling a lot of amps from the battery (winch, etc.). The pic I saw showed the side posts were only connected to the plates internally with thin strips of metal. Not sure if side posts are still connected the same way in batteries today or not.
But since it sounds like you are just using the side posts for charging, you'll probably be ok, IMO.

It depends how the screw on posts are done inside.

What you're talking about is on a D34/78 optima I'd say, where there is a small copper strip between the top posts and the side screw on posts.

If you get something like that it's no problem

31M-Bansheee.jpg

I'd like to hear the results of that testing.
gt1guy
Finally got around to testing the CCA cables. 1/0 CCA 29' long direct connected to the the 2x group 31 battery bank via a SB175 connector. Direct jumper cable clip to clip on the load bank.

Looks like 1.7v on the positive cable, assuming the same on the negative.
Load bank maxed at 250 amps.

20220522_160120.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting enough I did the same test on my copper 2 ga (I think) cables.
They are 20' (I think) and connected the same way as before.

Same 250 amps but only 1.08v drop.
Granted they are shorter but they are smaller gauge.

20220522_160606.jpg

Top Back Refresh