What's new

Track Days (HPDE)

I wont be back on track till April #northeastweathersucks

Did get the rest of my wimter refredh parts and been cleaning up the rear bumper for a respray.

20240224_180928.jpg

IMG_7105.jpeg
IMG_7117.jpeg
Weird day at autocross today. I set a record for most reruns. :laughing: we ran first, so it was a bit slippery. It is what it is though. Where the Miata spun out in my earlier post, a lot of people spun out. So much so, they changed the course during our run. Sucks, but whatever. We adapted. Somehow I ended up in first. :eek:Woooo. Anyways, here’s some pics and vid.

That think just looks like a ton o fun.

My first 2 trackdays have been rained out.

Probably wont be out until 4/24 at a scca crash night in america :(.

The car is a blast. Still a bit to dial in before it’s a true competitor, but fun as is. Everyone want a ride in it. I had to pass on the last guy because I wanted one run without a passenger. That was also my fastest run. I think a few more none passenger runs and I would have closed the gap on first place that was .7 ahead of me (a tricked out new zo6).

As far as autocross, it’s its own challenge. You don’t get the course layout till the night before (this one was day of). You have about 30 minutes to do a course walk, then it’s go time to get the fastest pass in 4-5 runs. You have to learn the course, the track, every bump and dip in a :30-1 minute run. It’s a whole new kind challenge. Fun though. I like it than I thought I would. :homer:

I have tried it but after i started the track days. The price is right but 2-4min of driving for the day doesnt do it for me. I may do 1 or 2 this year if the stars align. On a side note i was chasing a fuel evap leak in the car and found this. Not sure how this happens to a vent port. Suppose to look like the 2nd one.

20240331_163648.jpg
20240331_163741.jpg

Thats whats so puzzling. Sits under the battery in the front of the car. Engine is in back. I run 93 pump gas only. I did replace it last year and my theory is it cracked and vapor ignited somehow? But senders crack and nipples break off al the time and multiple lifer german mechanics have never seen this happen. Good news is porsche is gonna warrentee the part as it was $400.

20240331_145959.jpg

I have tried it but after i started the track days. The price is right but 2-4min of driving for the day doesnt do it for me. I may do 1 or 2 this year if the stars align.

It is a long day for only 10 minutes of driving, that’s for sure, but it’s an “easy” day and still get my track time itch scratched. I like the challange, but in our normal SCCA autocross there’s 4 of us that have the same car and we are all within a tenth of easy other. Makes it pretty competitive. Plus we have met so many people, the comradery is enjoyable.

Thats whats so puzzling. Sits under the battery in the front of the car. Engine is in back. I run 93 pump gas only. I did replace it last year and my theory is it cracked and vapor ignited somehow? But senders crack and nipples break off al the time and multiple lifer german mechanics have never seen this happen. Good news is porsche is gonna warrentee the part as it was $400.
Hhhmmm. Odd. It must be a German thing :laughing:

NY Safety Track, so this is a low buck moto track that has great asphalt but no flaggers( they use lights) and almost no barriers just trees. It not really safe, kinda a track but its in NY. All in all it was a really fun track even though i would only drive it 80%, if it were 2hr away not 4 i would go alot more often.

Never even heard of that place before, but looks like fun. I grabbed a 21 GT500 recently to replace both my EVO8 (road course) and blown S197 (drag strip, of which they closed both decent one's in Jersey). Hopefully worth all the hype on track.

I have tried it but after i started the track days. The price is right but 2-4min of driving for the day doesnt do it for me. I may do 1 or 2 this year if the stars align.

Same. I did like the "long course" @ Baders field in AC (speeds upwards of 70 at least). Oddly, I'm not into the high speed stuff offroad at all.

Never even heard of that place before, but looks like fun. I grabbed a 21 GT500 recently to replace both my EVO8 (road course) and blown S197 (drag strip, of which they closed both decent one's in Jersey). Hopefully worth all the hype on track.
I mostly run with Motorsport Enthusiast at NJMP

U cant miss the Pete in the pits. Stop by if u make it to an event.

20230514_092350.jpg

IMG_7465.jpeg
IMG_7408.jpeg
On video, it’s always confusing. :homer: I watch videos from others and get confused quickly. This one had a circle, which I have never done. Walking it, it was a bit confusing on a good line. Running at speed it took a few passes to get it right.

If you are not familiar how it works, you look for a down cone that pointing which side you should be on.

I mostly run with Motorsport Enthusiast at NJMP

U cant miss the Pete in the pits. Stop by if u make it to an event.

20230514_092350.jpg

Have heard good things about them, but never run one of their "events". Will stop over if I see you. This'all be me if you happen to see me.

20240316_122921.jpg

Same autocross, from my buddy Bobby in his new vette. He was .122 slower than me.

On video, it’s always confusing. :homer: I watch videos from others and get confused quickly. This one had a circle, which I have never done. Walking it, it was a bit confusing on a good line. Running at speed it took a few passes to get it right.

If you are not familiar how it works, you look for a down cone that pointing which side you should be on.

Yeah, it would take me some practice rounds before I could get quick. :homer:

Yeah, it would take me some practice rounds before I could get quick. :homer:
This one had a circle, which I have never done. Walking it, it was a bit confusing on a good line. Running at speed it took a few passes to get it right.

SCCA would never let me put a circle in, but BMW club did. Ultimate version of shortest line, versus high speed turn. I stole the idea from old Red Bull Air Racing.

The "choose your own direction 360 around a group of 4 cones remains a favorite when I lay out the snow race course for same BMW group

And Penetrode, don't dismiss the cone chasers too quickly, they are a special breed, and some spend years just trying to trophy at Nationals. But it does certainly hone your driving skills and should you want to track your car, auto-x is great prep in learning the limits at much lower speeds, with less danger. Every single driver that came through the time trials program (a precursor to the current Time Trials and Track Night events) it was obvious which ones were cone chasers.

Given how expensive it is to take any car to the track, even on the cheap, autox still remains good value for money. You got to find a work assignment that lets you work, drive and then split
:flipoff2:

Given how expensive it is to take any car to the track, even on the cheap, autox still remains good value for money. You got to find a work assignment that lets you work, drive and then split
:flipoff2:
I really didn’t think I would like it as much as I do, but it’s very challenging and an “easy” track day. When we get to work/run heat 1 and 3, we can ditch 4 and go home early. :smokin: Good times :laughing: we have 200 cars at our Houston one. It can be a bit much, especially during the summer when it’s 100+ all day. :eek:

Top Back Refresh