What's new

Tow Behind Pop-up Camper Experts?

FleshEater

Ordinary Average Guy
Member Number
Loc
Pennsylvania
I know to look for leaks, musty, mildew smell, rusted frames, etc.

But are there certain brands to stay away from?

Plan is to swap a 2WD axle under, actual suspension, and bigger tires so we can get it to some remote locations without killing it. Weight goal will be as light as possible, since it’ll be towed behind a V6 4Runner.

Is this a stupid idea? I have a year to track one down and get it ready. :smokin:

If you are ok with a tent top, a pre 2016 quicksilver is all aluminum and super light. Had one for 6 years and just sold. Super easy to lift and tweak how you like it

Not sure the flimsy little channel frames that pop-ups come on would apreciate those. You'd probably need to do something to tie the rails together.
Yep, probably. They have a somewhat high-mounted spot on these things to accept 2”x2” tubing, or something like that. So, you can tie both sides together like that, or reinforce a couple inches higher on the frame rails. I don’t know if anything about these is the right solution, I’ve just always been intrigued by the ground clearance and possibility for silence.

I already figured this would require more bracing on the frame, which might be tricky since it’s wood laid against the frame. Welding might have to be done in small sections.

That link from eTrailer isn’t bad at all. Once you figure up all the money in material needed to build a better suspension on a 2WD beam it’ll be close to those.

On something that light I'd seriously consider doing a 4-link with some HF tractor top links.

On something that light I'd seriously consider doing a 4-link with some HF tractor top links.

I was actually thinking about using Geo Tracker rear links. I have a pile of them laying around doing nothing.

Coil spring/shock set up would ride really well, IMO.

Not sure the flimsy little channel frames that pop-ups come on would apreciate those. You'd probably need to do something to tie the rails together.
Having made junk trailers from these old pup up trailers I would agree with this.

As cool of an idea as it is, I would think you would need to build a real frame to support the trailer as it rolls over various terrains.

My advise is it's just a trailer, you don't need to go full race car on it.
I personally like the front wheel drive mini vans rear beam axle for a donor for a trailer.
They are dirt cheap, pretty beefy for what they need to be and easy to widen.
I'd use what ever leaf springs I have laying around for suspension.

My advise is it's just a trailer, you don't need to go full race car on it.
I personally like the front wheel drive mini vans rear beam axle for a donor for a trailer.
In theory, sure.

In practice there aren't that many kicking around on CL/Marketplace. So your left contacting people parting something out and hoping they have something that isn't rusted. And odds are you're gonna wind up with some dickbag who's way to proud of themselves and wants the same price as a junkyard would and then they wanna charge more for the rims and tires. Then you gotta think about width, attaching brackets, etc. etc. And he probably doesn't.

In contrast, proper trailer axles, almost always with tires, usually with springs and sometimes with brakes are readily availble under $200.

In 10yr when all the Promasters hit the junkyard maybe they'll be a good deal again but van axles haven't been worth trying to use for trailer axles since the 90s generation of minivans stopped being plentiful, which was over a decade ago around here.

I drug around a larger model pop up for a few years. It was a nice little trailer, had a shower and a commode. Lots of room inside after it was set up. Small water tank, at the bottom of the build quality level for RV's. Not much room for adding capacity of, water, propane, batteries, etc. All I did was skid plate the water tank, and lift the suspension with some 2" blocks, and I drug it down trails I shouldn't have. it didn't suffer any real damage. Don't see how to go up to larger tires because the wheel wells are small and set into the body. Modifying them would be more trouble than it's worth.

I was always worried about breaking the trail rig I used as a Puller, then having two vehicles to extract. Ended up selling it and bought a Class A coach for camping, use a tent when the RV isn't coming along.

It takes longer or at least as long to set up the pop up's as it does to pitch a tent, break out the portable stove, etc. Usually took me about 30-45 minutes to break camp with the pop up. I can have the Class A rolling in fifteen minutes, including hooking up the towed vehicle.

If you are thinking it will get the wife and kids to come camping more, you need one with a shower and sit down toilet. Even then, they either like camping or they don't. RV's won't make any difference.

I drug around a larger model pop up for a few years. It was a nice little trailer, had a shower and a commode. Lots of room inside after it was set up. Small water tank, at the bottom of the build quality level for RV's. Not much room for adding capacity of, water, propane, batteries, etc. All I did was skid plate the water tank, and lift the suspension with some 2" blocks, and I drug it down trails I shouldn't have. it didn't suffer any real damage. Don't see how to go up to larger tires because the wheel wells are small and set into the body. Modifying them would be more trouble than it's worth.

I was always worried about breaking the trail rig I used as a Puller, then having two vehicles to extract. Ended up selling it and bought a Class A coach for camping, use a tent when the RV isn't coming along.

It takes longer or at least as long to set up the pop up's as it does to pitch a tent, break out the portable stove, etc. Usually took me about 30-45 minutes to break camp with the pop up. I can have the Class A rolling in fifteen minutes, including hooking up the towed vehicle.

If you are thinking it will get the wife and kids to come camping more, you need one with a shower and sit down toilet. Even then, they either like camping or they don't. RV's won't make any difference.

My thinking is that there’s a lot of semi-remote spots off F/S roads to set up, so I shouldn’t have to tow this in too far.

General idea is to get a home base closer to where we want to be, cheaper, and easily mobile. Even campgrounds are way cheaper than these Vrbo/Airbnb cabins. The civility of showers and crappers is a meh. I don’t think anyone aside from my oldest kid cares about taking a dump out in the wild. Like I tell the oldest kid, pooping in mother nature is usually cleaner than any rest stop. :laughing:

If you need some coil springs, I would donate a set to an offroad trailer.

hrq1xJnc4rNTmd3Qem88V_=w2220-h1249-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

-npGz9nVDaP9kdifc_oU8n=w2220-h1249-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

1684184943577.png

I always thought if a camper doesn't have a shower, or at the minimuma toilet, might as well use a tent.

I’m still back to either loading a roof rack really full, or building a small offroad trailer for all the gear, food, camping stuff…

I’m still back to either loading a roof rack really full, or building a small offroad trailer for all the gear, food, camping stuff…

With your type of trips, it's going to get expensive dragging a pop up trailer. Everyone I've been around is pretty wide and I'd imagine it would suck fuel mpg down quite a bit.

I also have a hard time seeing one hold up well to bombing fs roads.

Maybe a narrower trailer that has the same track width as the 4runner and kinda tucks behind its wind stream would be OK?

Fwiw, the go to offroad trailer axle is a drop axle flipped upside down. I've also heard to go with a much heavier rated axle for offroad. May as well go 6x5.5 to match the 4runner.

With your type of trips, it's going to get expensive dragging a pop up trailer. Everyone I've been around is pretty wide and I'd imagine it would suck fuel mpg down quite a bit.

I also have a hard time seeing one hold up well to bombing fs roads.

Maybe a narrower trailer that has the same track width as the 4runner and kinda tucks behind its wind stream would be OK?

Fwiw, the go to offroad trailer axle is a drop axle flipped upside down. I've also heard to go with a much heavier rated axle for offroad. May as well go 6x5.5 to match the 4runner.

Our rentals for a whole week or longer in these places usually cost $1,600-$2,000. Utah is looking like it might be closer to $2,800.

Even sucking down gas I think this would save us money in the long run.

A crew cab 6.5’ bed pickup might have been a better build than a 4Runner. :homer:

I said it before but these are the same width as the 4runner we dragged it with. Super easy to do whatever you want and light enough to move by hand. No rust no rot no leaks

the tiny dexter axle took a beating but with no load held up perfect
681435915.jpg
Resized_20210303_125727(1).jpeg
Resized_20210304_161307(1).jpeg
Resized_20210303_125707(1).jpeg
20220902_220338.jpg
20220807_081149.jpg

I said it before but these are the same width as the 4runner we dragged it with. Super easy to do whatever you want and light enough to move by hand. No rust no rot no leaks

the tiny dexter axle took a beating but with no load held up perfect
681435915.jpg
Resized_20210303_125727(1).jpeg
Resized_20210304_161307(1).jpeg
Resized_20210303_125707(1).jpeg
20220902_220338.jpg
20220807_081149.jpg

Ah, I remember seeing your post about this. What is this? Brand/model? Looks about ideal.

I ended up going this route with a 4x6 enclosed trailer I found local. welded some plate to raise the awning mount so I can fit under it (pic below is before I raised it), added a hitch with swing out grill because I eat lots of steak. inside just has that ez track to hold all the camping bs out of whatever I'm pulling it with. Very happy to keep everything separate and have tons of space for kids and dogs now...
20230320_154045.jpg

20230320_154100.jpg

Ah, I remember seeing your post about this. What is this? Brand/model? Looks about ideal.

Livin lite Quicksilver. They stopped being all aluminum after 2016 models, they have where 6', 8', 10', and 14'. All but the six footer have two beds and a few layout options. this was an 8.1, very roomy with twin bed on one side and full on the other. More pics below but stored outside since new and never had mice or any water damage. Mice get into all my vehicles somehow so I was happy. Rear deck is a huge bonus and can not be added later fyi
20230211_154729.jpg
20230211_165017.jpg
20230212_144833.jpg
20230212_145217.jpg
20230212_145550.jpg
20230212_145714.jpg

Attachments

• 20230212_145535.jpg
    20230212_145535.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 1B53A4CE-.JPG
    1B53A4CE-.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 12
Was a shame when THOR bought Livin Lite and went away from the all aluminum/no wood concept. Got lucky enough to find a TC1 for 'overlanding' and crawler hauler duties.

20190515_174551.jpg

13237638_10209935470689684_5881567626087612242_n.jpg

Was a shame when THOR bought Livin Lite and went away from the all aluminum/no wood concept. Got lucky enough to find a TC1 for 'overlanding' and crawler hauler duties.

20190515_174551.jpg

13237638_10209935470689684_5881567626087612242_n.jpg
Those are sweet for sure, they also had a model, can't recall the name l, that was a pop up with a "deck" in front for camping and throwing an atv or bikes on while hauling.

Yes Thor fucked them

That's the one! Top stitch makes new tops for them for about 600 if someone finds one with a bad top for a deal

I ended up going this route with a 4x6 enclosed trailer I found local. welded some plate to raise the awning mount so I can fit under it (pic below is before I raised it), added a hitch with swing out grill because I eat lots of steak. inside just has that ez track to hold all the camping bs out of whatever I'm pulling it with. Very happy to keep everything separate and have tons of space for kids and dogs now...
20230320_154045.jpg

20230320_154100.jpg

Livin lite Quicksilver. They stopped being all aluminum after 2016 models, they have where 6', 8', 10', and 14'. All but the six footer have two beds and a few layout options. this was an 8.1, very roomy with twin bed on one side and full on the other. More pics below but stored outside since new and never had mice or any water damage. Mice get into all my vehicles somehow so I was happy. Rear deck is a huge bonus and can not be added later fyi
20230211_154729.jpg
20230211_165017.jpg
20230212_144833.jpg
20230212_145217.jpg
20230212_145550.jpg
20230212_145714.jpg

Does the Quicksilver leak like some tents? Or are they sealed up well?

I saw an ad for a used one and they had a tarp over the top while they were camping.

Mine is sealed up very well. The top is awning type material so it doesn't let any water through and the walls are thicker than a normal tent and don't wick water through. If the top is in good shaper, there shouldn't be any need to cover it with a tarp.

I would look for an Aliner.

Top Back Refresh