What's new

Tj bruce jenner problem

filthy_midget

Member Number
Hopefully this place is like the old pirate and actually useful.

03 tj fighting a dumbass transmission issue.
First issue was when climbing a hill in any forward gear the transmission would disengage completely to neutral. When you went back to flat ground would function fine.

Dropped the pan found the filter was cracked so replaced that and since I was already there replaced the shift solenoid since that seems to be a common issue as well.

Currently it works perfect in first and reverse..... as soon as it tries to upshift it's all neutrals. If you shut the pos off and restart 1st and reverse function perfectly again.

I already hit it with my purse and drank some bleach but no improvement. Is this a sign of a fucked trans or something electrical like the tcm, seems like most of the tcm issues are responsible for hard shifting that I've found.
Just a shitty budget beater but the kids love the terd

Attachments

• IMG_20240209_161636.jpg
    IMG_20240209_161636.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
Is it throwing any codes when it loses the higher gears?

With the way it's acting it could be computer or mechanical unless someone has had the exact same issue. I do know that limp mode sticks it in 2nd gear so whatever is happening it's not going into limp mode.

The 42RLE is completely computer controlled so a tranny shop may be willing to scan it for a small fee. I was hesitant on mine but they ended up finding the problem (shorted OD control wire) TJ Rubicon Automatic Transmission woes

Is it throwing any codes when it loses the higher gears?

With the way it's acting it could be computer or mechanical unless someone has had the exact same issue. I do know that limp mode sticks it in 2nd gear so whatever is happening it's not going into limp mode.

The 42RLE is completely computer controlled so a tranny shop may be willing to scan it for a small fee. I was hesitant on mine but they ended up finding the problem (shorted OD control wire) TJ Rubicon Automatic Transmission woes
The first go around it was throwing these, I gotta pull codes this afternoon. Cel didn't come on until this morning unloading from trailer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240229-184752.png
    Screenshot_20240229-184752.png
    846.6 KB · Views: 1
The first go around it was throwing these, I gotta pull codes this afternoon. Cel didn't come on until this morning unloading from trailer.
P0731, P0732, P0736 are the computer detecting slipping in 1st, 2nd, & reverse based on input and output speeds. P0846 is low trans fluid pressure sensor voltage which can be caused by low pressure.

To me this points to low fluid pressure causing slipping and there is just enough to get 1st and reverse kinda working. Could be the pump in the trans is trash or blocked?

Edit: I see this was the previous reading with the cracked filter. Still, may have trashed the pump itself. Would be interested in the current codes.

original trans? Miles?

Have you adjusted the band on it?

Do you have all forward 1-3 gears, possibly OD, if you manually shift from P or N straight to 1 (low) and manually upshift?

P0731, P0732, P0736 are the computer detecting slipping in 1st, 2nd, & reverse based on input and output speeds. P0846 is low trans fluid pressure sensor voltage which can be caused by low pressure.

To me this points to low fluid pressure causing slipping and there is just enough to get 1st and reverse kinda working. Could be the pump in the trans is trash or blocked?

Edit: I see this was the previous reading with the cracked filter. Still, may have trashed the pump itself. Would be interested in the current codes.
Current codes. Not really anything useful.

Attachments

• 17141544396263509574882274287562.jpg
    17141544396263509574882274287562.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
original trans? Miles?

Have you adjusted the band on it?

Do you have all forward 1-3 gears, possibly OD, if you manually shift from P or N straight to 1 (low) and manually upshift?
Original as far as I know. 204k I haven't had any issues until I got the last issue. No slipping, it's either in gear or fully disengaged. This screen keeps popping up on the snappy scanner.i think my obd2 port is fucked which I'm sure will make this easier...

Attachments

• 17141548200262393048914330431155.jpg
    17141548200262393048914330431155.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
I am leaning towards mechanical issue with the pump or clutches. The fact that it's not going into 2nd gear limp mode says to me that it's pretty messed up. Maybe someone with more knowledge will come along and chime in.

Sucking air? Double gaskets on the filter neck?

Add more fluid for shits and grins?

Wrong dipstick?

This screen keeps popping up on the snappy scanner.i think my obd2 port is fucked which I'm sure will make this easier...
That probably will… make it easier.

Try plug it in & drive to cause the neutral symptom in all gears and see whether the scan tool throw that screen at the same time. That’ll mean it’s something electrical.

Sounds like a trashed pump or check valve to me, first and reverse are the lowest load, so makes sense when you up the gear ratio it doesn’t hold it.

did you check fluid level in neutral? And take your time on checking level after filling? They're easy to misread if rushed.

did you check fluid level in neutral? And take your time on checking level after filling? They're easy to misread if rushed.
Yeah it is a bitch but was checked properly. I'm starting to lean towards trashed pump as well. Gonna take it to the dealer Wednesday just for peace of mind that it's not electrical before I drop $2-3000 for a reman or bds 42rle.
Plan to ls swap down the road but kinda between a rock and a hard place for this year with reservations already in place at Smorr and a few other places.

Yeah it is a bitch but was checked properly. I'm starting to lean towards trashed pump as well. Gonna take it to the dealer Wednesday just for peace of mind that it's not electrical before I drop $2-3000 for a reman or bds 42rle.
Plan to ls swap down the road but kinda between a rock and a hard place for this year with reservations already in place at Smorr and a few other places.

There's a good chance any tech at a CDJR doesn't know what the fuck a 42RLE is.

They'll hook up a scanner, check for codes, note drive-ability issue, then tell you new transmission is the only answer.

There, I saved you $200, the headache, and time.

Also, if you have 200K on that 42RLE you have been gifted about 60K more than they usually last for, at least from the searching I have done.

Definitely :laughing:

Sound like a solid plan. Although if you indeed need a trans a used trans from an auto salvage yard with warranty don’t sound that bad if it’ll come out for the swap?
Trouble is it's a 30 day warranty and local price was $1600 for a used trans. Might as well just get a reman at that point.

Update, took it to a shop that does alot of jeep shit to have someone smarter than I check it over. 2nd gear is fucked. Clutches are big time fucked. So big gay time to drop a fuckload on a new transmission.

Same, make
It sucks but most days i'd be happier knowing exactly why something is fucking up rather than playing the diagnosis and parts cannon game which is 38.74% of my life as a jeep owner.
Makes ordering a $3000 trans slightly less stressful.

Top Back Refresh