What's new

Tire Chain Thread

Last edited:
Would/will I need 36" of handle to use that tool?

I have 36"-handle bolt cutters that I use on the ground/one foot on ground-handle and both my hands/weight on the upper handle.
For what your doing a guy could probly get away with the shorter handled set. That said there is no negative to the long handles and is what I would get.
nOOB question:
How about 'X's instead of ladder/cross chains?🤷‍♂️

For what your doing a guy could probly get away with the shorter handled set. That said there is no negative to the long handles and is what I would get.

Pic reference:
1676928548493.png

Thanks for the link:smokin::beer:

I've run skidder without chains and it's almost laughable at how shit it is compared to with chains.
No idea how ir why the southern loggers put up with it.
I've run tires that were at best 5% tread and still did fine with decent chains.

Damn; I guess [486] was correct.

The OP's snow chain tool and YUGE chain link gauge...!:eek:
I guess I bought the medium grade snow chains.

When I went from 33s to HMMWV tires I used ACE Hardware chain and carabiners to do the extension:
1676860125212.jpeg

1676860192130.jpeg

1676860337641.jpeg

1676860521691.jpeg

And I currently use tensioners.:emb4:

When I go to a bigger/much wider tire, I'll probably invest in the bigger gauge/quality chains AND that snow chain tool.:grinpimp:
I'm surprised those light duty chains hold up ok.

I bought a set of "truck" chains at 6 Robblees for my C30. Tore them apart the 1st use. The crosslink connectors were so shit they mostly all unbent. I ended up welding them to get SOME use out of them.
Chain soft as butter too.

The good set I have lasted years till someone stole them. Peewag or Laclede maybe? They were around $350 for a 235/85/16 (just a single, not a 3 railer).
Whatever the steel is, it was harder than a coffin nail.

I already did; $181 for the 36" long handle:eek:.

And that ain't jack-chit compared to serious snow chains for our tire size: $500 to $1,000!:eek::eek:
I have a full set for my Unimog. Beefy, near log skidder size stuff. I can't lift a full chain myself. I had them in 5 gallon pails and ended up blowing the bottom out when I tried to move them.

I've run skidder without chains and it's almost laughable at how shit it is compared to with chains.
I've run tires that were at best 5% tread and still did fine with decent chains.
Seems like half the folks around here run skidders chained up year round.

And yea, thats how some of the graders I ran were. Bald ass tires with chains. still got around pretty good that way.

Would/will I need 36" of handle to use that tool?

I have 36"-handle bolt cutters that I use on the ground/one foot on ground-handle and both my hands/weight on the upper handle.

Biggers always better. Haha. Depends on how much your going to use it. After adding 20 cross pieces, so 40 clips, my arms were pretty sore and I wish it had longer handles.

Seems like half the folks around here run skidders chained up year round.

And yea, thats how some of the graders I ran were. Bald ass tires with chains. still got around pretty good that way.
About the only negative is having to watch out for branches getting stuck in the chains, moreso on an open cab machine.

Oh I could only imagine. Been a while since I saw anything besides a cat that was an open cab.

Decided to join the club when I found some old truck chains in the scrap bin at work.

20230304_125521.jpg

All I had to do was cut about a foot out for 38x13s. 40-42s would probably be easy depending on the truck tire size, maybe even bigger.

I have no idea how they will work with the snow here, last trip it was kinda sugary and I think the chains may dig down to a hard layer and be able to push through more. Definitely an experiment. :laughing:

In norcal at least, you're really only logging when it's dry. There is a little bit on the east side of the Sierras during winter, but all the stuff I grew up around was late spring to fall. Chains were a rare site. I think it was just a cost thing, when you don't need them. What's a set of 4 chains run for a skidder?

Around here I don't think I've seen a skidder with out chains, but they log all year besides mud season.

In norcal at least, you're really only logging when it's dry. There is a little bit on the east side of the Sierras during winter, but all the stuff I grew up around was late spring to fall. Chains were a rare site. I think it was just a cost thing, when you don't need them. What's a set of 4 chains run for a skidder?

Around here I don't think I've seen a skidder with out chains, but they log all year besides mud season.
Last ones I priced was around $1000 each. Probably double that these days.

Last ones I priced was around $1000 each. Probably double that these days.
Gotta be way more than that now, especially the bigger machines. Trig is right here in town and they were $350 for a pair of pick up chains alone. I think a pair of duals for our pumper truck were almost $2k.:laughing:

Gotta be way more than that now, especially the bigger machines. Trig is right here in town and they were $350 for a pair of pick up chains alone. I think a pair of duals for our pumper truck were almost $2k.:laughing:
I did a quick.search and looks like around $2500 each.

I paid around $1800 each for 30.5x32 tires a couple years ago.

I made my own ring chains out of #4 rebar and old big rig chains. The grousers are 1 1/4 wide 1/4 inch thick A36 material, and started out 1 inch tall. Over three or four years of use the grousers have worn down to 5/8-3/4 of an inch.

I had a bunch of people say the rebar would break, but most of the breakage has been the half links welded to the rings and old worn links just breaking.

I think the level of damage to front axle parts is relative. I had chromo shafts and joints in my d44 that the ring chains were on and they appeared to be fine. I did break a bunch of teeth off the ring gear. I was dug into a bunch of dirt so the tires had more grip than usual, I was in reverse, an I was trying to push over a tree that was sitting on my chainsaw so it was a worst case scenario.

I decided it was time to put in that D60F

in the example of forestry chains they’re not just for traction, they also provide protection for tires that are $ 1500 a corner as well as extending the service life for tires that are bald.
IMG_2866_Original.jpeg
IMG_3526_Original.jpeg

Last edited:

In far far norcal they are a pretty common sight... but mostly for traction in the wet mud top layer under the snow and for grip once the roads get packed in.

Top Back Refresh