What's new

Tire Chain Thread

rattlewagon

shitboxin
Member Number
Loc
Northfield Vermont
This is mostly just the thread I started on the other site with some edits.

We dont get the snowfall the west does, but we do get ice. I made a set of chains a few years ago out of old chain parts from our f550s plow truck. Only one of the chains around the tire is from tire chains, so I had to make the other 3. I used regular chain and cut/welded the hook to fit into the normal size chain. Some of the cross pieces are studded, the other are v bar.

These CHANGED how I wheel in the winter so much that I get sad when they come off in the spring.

1640088225847.png

1640088232704.png

1640088239258.png

1640088245256.png

Few others:

1640088259568.png

1640088323083.png

1640088343726.png

I drag these across trees and rocks all day, and they hold together pretty well, but always looking to make another/better set.

One of the guys here get them as take offs from the local town road crew. They have cam locks to adjust them tighter, but unless you wire tie them shut, they will open up then you drag them on stuff. And we always loos a bungee or two..

1640088892107.png

Last winter I was running tubes in my old tires, and the chains hooked so well that that it spun the tires on the wheels and sheared off the valve stems. drove back to the trailer with 2 flat rear tires, the chains never came off.

1640088824600.png

I put them on in November and take them off when the snows gone in March-ish. I keep looking for a used set of tractor/skidder/ring/ icepick chains to cut down, but $$.

Post up your chain tips or questions

Last edited:
They dig. They turn into scoops. Hit dirt and you become a rototiller. Plus my truck is fat and doesnt float well anyway. So the hope is the front tires pack a trail for the chains to dig into.

This is about as floaty as it gets for where we are. Were around 1000-3000 elevation.

But to great in what we get.

Heres a set from the road crew. They are to long (for a 36-38") so just trim them down a bit. They are studded, but the studs are mostly worn off. But FREE!
These will end up on the rear, we were just mocking up the chains. Im not sure how a toyota front end would like them...

We try to get the chains as tight as possible. Sometimes it helps to take all the air out of the tire when putting the chains on, then air back up to snugg them up. or just trying to stretch the connector links as tight as possible without going too high on the side wall. Or like in the picture below, with the tie off the ground and the chains in this position its easier to use gravity to get them hooked tight.

1640089284614.png

1640089299240.png

The tire chain tool is also awesome (orange under his foot in the picture above) They make opening up/ closing the links super easy.

And a video of this sweet old willys

Last edited:
Being from the west I've never got a chance to wheel with chains, the only strange thing we do in the snow is use sprint car tires, just stupid wide flotation tires that I also use in the sand.

What makes a good chain?

lot of people in the "west" run chains. Sometimes it all you can do.

Front chains are hard on stuff, and seems like they fall off easier.

Love the fawkn jangle of the jewellery! They go on about now, come off around april, fronts on the toy because no clearance on rear the Broncos gets all 4 and my 97ford gets rears on cut 38.5s
2020-03-20_17-06-34_040.jpg

What makes a good chain?
A good thick gage chain. More cross chains per tire chain and other patterns are out there. The ice pick tractor chains seem to hook the best.

1640175100191.png

Have you ever tried them on the front? Seem like steering would be much better.
I think, at least in my Toyota, they would break stuff
lot of people in the "west" run chains. Sometimes it all you can do.

Front chains are hard on stuff, and seems like they fall off easier.
Its gotta be so hard on stuff.

Love the fawkn jangle of the jewellery! They go on about now, come off around april, fronts on the toy because no clearance on rear the Broncos gets all 4 and my 97ford gets rears on cut 38.5s

Awesome! I like to think they sound like Christmas. Haha

Does the front chains break stuff? Help with steerin? Or fall off easier?

If they were on the front of this rig, I think he would have made it..

I'm thinking about finding some chains. Has anyone had experience running them in the Sierra's or in deep snow?

I had a 2WD prerunner with an Auburn limited slip with 35”s and ran heavy chains on the rear. So much fun in the snow. Found an empty parking lot to spin donuts at night with sparks flying off the chains. Awesome night of fun.
Current day 4WD Tundra with snow rated Wildpeaks don’t really need chains. But have to carry them. They are the heavy duty ones and I carry round rubber snubbers and zip ties to make sure the slack doesn’t get loose and rip the fenders apart.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about finding some chains. Has anyone had experience running them in the Sierra's or in deep snow?

I talked to one guy years ago running an 80s F350 on 38s who said he would chain up all 4 sometimes.

I've always wondered about them in Sierra snow as I feel aggressive tread does well with a soft sidewall, which pretty much doesn't exist.

The only thing is obviously you can dig holes if you're spinning and not moving.

Bone stock open toy front with 35" x16.5" chained every winter for 10yrs+, its the wifes unit she's very mellow and gets around everyone stuck without them on. We're're usually on ice primarily run on frozen rivers and creeks lots of chances to fall through and nothing gets you out of wholly shit moments like some fukn iron fer trakshun! She's never thrown a shoe or had any diff breakage with 2bbl302 anna c4, pretty much floats over the hard packed drifty snow we get.
I usually start with a good set of Laclede's and modify to fit, for work on the welded rear of my 97f350 I put on twice the cross chains and had 5 cams made them fit snug on an empty tire on a rim then aired up to 12psi, 100miles a day reaching speeds of 60mph on shitty ungraded county roads & oil lease roads/fields never removed it takes 2500-3000 miles to totally wear them out.

Picked these up a few months ago. I think they might be close to too narrow for the tire. What's everyone's take?

20220324_180915.jpg
20220324_180944.jpg
20220324_180932.jpg
20220324_180926.jpg

Well damn. Now I got these big ass chains

Picked these up a few months ago. I think they might be close to too narrow for the tire. What's everyone's take?

20220324_180915.jpg
20220324_180944.jpg
20220324_180932.jpg
20220324_180926.jpg
They are on inside out too. The cross chain hooks face the other way.
The cams usually go on the outside, though some chains have them on both.

They are on inside out too. The cross chain hooks face the other way.
The cams usually go on the outside, though some chains have them on both.
Copy. I figured they were backwards. I mainly just threw them on to see how they would fit the tires. Looks like they would maybe fit 40s

You're in norcal right?

I can't think of any snow condition in norcal where I would want chains. I have never seen anyone use them though.

Yep. I agree, I probably shouldn't have got them but they were cheap. I had a buddy run chains on his 2wd years ago. He did decent and was able to go from the Bambi to paradise. When there was a decent amount of snow

Last edited:
Yep. I agree, I probably shouldn't have got them but they were cheap. I had a buddy run chains on his 2wd years ago. He did decent and was able to go from the Bambi to paradise. When there was a decent amount of snow

Bambi to paradise isn't treacherous because of the snow :laughing::flipoff2:

Got a fresh set of town truck take offs to make a "new" set of wheelin chains.

My old set is in the middle, about 91 inches long and fits well on my 38s. The new set is about 110' long, so well cut them down a bit.

1nkpKvNZX6quWuvAT9N3Vwe2AQ=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Removing the cam locks for two reasons. 1, I feel they pop open when dragged across trees/rocks and B, I want to put another cross piece right where they are..You could also add two quick links instead of undoing the whole side, but I only had a few quick links on hand.

09zTbjeWhUsgv3vdh4WyFXK4Jw=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

I did this for all 6 cams on both chains

Started adding the extra pieces

j2VLnQ9U1hwmMTmg_Stw_0hWAg=w876-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

stock vs doubled.

XhtJCuafFFZVn3x6DhDLpxmq3g=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

cross pieces and the chain tool.

NYqlD-kq9kQya_xmp0kZz7fK0w=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Use this side of the tool to open the clamps up. I would put one handle on the floor and use my body weight to help compress it.

fkzjFpRCbrRl4IRks6PRRbHosg=w493-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

This side closes them back up. Having this tool makes this go so much faster.

7F8zHN3TaCCfZnQazI15AmzjyQ=w876-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Few disposable bungies and were ready to go.

SXm7bMB8E9Zukn_EoTQ1B2mWrw=w876-h657-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
You know you can just use that quick link to lock the cam lock, right? :laughing:

Yeah, or we wire tie them closed. Im just always a fan of less moving parts. But I was adding another cross piece right were the cams were, so they were coming out either way.

Damn; I guess [486] was correct.

The OP's snow chain tool and YUGE chain link gauge...!:eek:
I guess I bought the medium grade snow chains.

When I went from 33s to HMMWV tires I used ACE Hardware chain and carabiners to do the extension:
1676860125212.jpeg

1676860192130.jpeg

1676860337641.jpeg

1676860521691.jpeg

And I currently use tensioners.:emb4:

When I go to a bigger/much wider tire, I'll probably invest in the bigger gauge/quality chains AND that snow chain tool.:grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh