What's new

Tire Chain Thread

It takes me ~5 minutes to slap 2 chains on a Toyota truck with 285's.

• Wrap the chains over the top of the tire with equal (ish) length of chain on the ground.
  • Kinda-sorta straighten the links that are on the front side of the tire so they are even.
  • Hop in the truck and drive forward ~2 feet.
  • Get out and see if that was enough/too much
  • Connect the inner link ( I try to use the second link if possible)
  • Connect outer link
  • 2 bungees around the circumference of the outer chain.
  • Drive up/down the mountain pretty much knowing I'm not gonna fall in the pit. :smokin:

sounds like alot of extra chain?
The diameter is so large there's plenty of space for it to go without getting dumb.

It's been probably nearly 10yr since I've done it but I recall it's less of a tensioner clusterfuck than my 25" tall car tires with the right size chains are.

I do like the tire chain bungees, but they rip hooks off easy when you drag them across stuff. Usually go through a couple sets a season. (Ones already broken in the pic)

X2 to aring down first, then airing up to snugg them up. "Aired Up" is 4lbs in the picture below.

Get the back snug then tighten the outside as tight as possible. Its easiest to get slack out with the wheel off the ground, hooking the clasps in the 5 to 7 oclock position.

You can also get it tighter buy grabbing chain at the clasps, and pullint it out twoards your body, then sometimes you can get it hooked one or more chains tighter.

Sometimes, you can also use a ratchet strap to pull them together, or using vice grips to help grip the chain.

0120241239_HDR.jpg

That time of yr agin, fer fawk sakes how many times this horse gunna be beaten.
bungies/elastics are ghey.
build yer chains taw fit yer tars
tenshuners are alright
heated tar carvin thang to introduce grooves into side lugs an cross lugs for cross chain placement so’s they have a nice home (boggers have nice carcass for this)
bungies/elastics,...ya know.
frozen fangers

If they’re going to go on and off bungee cords or bungee spiders or spring spiders

If they’re going to be on for the winter I do this double v chain and a 3/8 eye bolt or a turnbuckle
IMG_2759.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh