What's new

Tire balancing with airsoft BB's

gt1guy

Apparently a racist
Member Number
Loc
New Iberia, La.
I've got a set of 45" SXII's I'll be running on my JKU. It will be driven on the street. I threw 20oz of the .20g match grade airsoft bb's in each tire.

No clue how well it will work.

Anyone else here using the airsoft bb's on a street driven rig? If so, care to share your experience, good or bad?

I've used them one several trucks with normal sized tires. All ride better than they did with regular tire weights.

I had good luck with them in 38.5" swampers many years ago.

I have mixed results, but mostly good. I run BBs in my motorcycle, work great. The Dad-Wagon Freestyle has them, smooth as ever. My F250 has them. Feels like I have a brick stuck to the inside of the rim. The whole fucking truck rides like shit. Sometimes coming out of a turn, it eases up. I put 8oz in them, so maybe I didn't put enough? No idea but it sucks. Steering wheel shimmies like crazy and everything.

I came up with the 20oz per tire from guessing off the charts I could find online. I know you can have not enough weight in a tire and it wont balance as good as it could. Can you actually have too much weight in a tire?

I came up with the 20oz per tire from guessing off the charts I could find online. I know you can have not enough weight in a tire and it wont balance as good as it could. Can you actually have too much weight in a tire?

I don't think too much weight is a problem but it will take longer for the media to disperse once you start moving vs media that is closer to weight needed to static balance the tire.

Have the local Mexican truck tire place spin all 4 and give you the static weight #'s for each tire and then add that amount in BB's?

Personally I hate them. I had the same experience as woods did on my old TJ. Tried BB's with my 35" BFG Krawlers and it sucked. Mounted 37" radial rockers and tried again. It sucked so bad I vacuumed them out of all 4 tires the next day. Ended up static balancing them with tape weights and they were fine.

Top Back Refresh