What's new

Tier 5 emissions oh boy

CarterKraft

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
DFW

The new standards — the first revision for NOx pollution since 2021 — will be more than 80% stronger, increase the useful life of governed vehicles by 1.5 to 2.5 times, and yield emissions warranties that are 2.8 to 4.5 times longer than current standards, according to EPA. The rule also includes provisions for longer engine useful life and warranty periods.
And looking in here it looks like 8500 to 14,500 GVW is included in these changes.

They are trying to put the diesel engine out of business In favor of electric trucks. Which will not work until we can have a battery that can fit in a teacup be recharged almost instantly and can do enough work to move 1 ton 100 miles.

"increase the useful life of governed vehicles by 1.5 to 2.5 times"

Yeah, right. Each tier has lessened the useful life of the engines. At one point, it was nothing to see a virgin engine with over 2 million miles on it before its first in-frame, now surpassing 1 million is becoming a rare event. Hell, I was issued am M915A0 in 2000 that was built in 79, had an NTC 400 Big Cam II, and never in-framed or went through reset... it had 1.6 million military miles on it and almost zero blow-by. After I left, it went and served a tour or two in Iraq before being retired, where the engine and rears went off for testing (and rebuild if necessary) and would go into an M915A4 FLD glider, where its still likely in service somewhere today.

They are trying to put the diesel engine out of business In favor of electric trucks. Which will not work until we can have a battery that can fit in a teacup be recharged almost instantly and can do enough work to move 1 ton 100 miles.
That is already easy to accomplish. The only catch is that the load needs to be in interstellar space.

“The rule also requires manufacturers to better ensure that vehicle engines and emission control systems work properly on the road,” the agency noted. “For example, manufacturers must demonstrate that engines are designed to prevent vehicle drivers from tampering with emission controls by limiting tamper-prone access to electronic pollution controls.”

Every OO out there: Challenge accepted.

If anyone is worried about this, they are going to shid themselves when they find out about cafe 2026.
Wtf I just looked at them. What a pipe dream. There isn’t enough energy in a gallon of gas to meet those rules. They are gonna have to get rid of every electric gizmo in the car to help achieve this. No heated seats no power windows seats back up cameras ect.

Do they just make shit up and hope the manufacturers can meet it?

What does the engine guru think about this stuff?

Absolute incompetence or willful malice. Take your pick of beliefs.

I think it's six of one and half dozen of the other. Truly incredible.
What about the nuns and orphans, you heartless prick?

(That went over like a lead balloon in that other thread, so regifting it here.)

:laughing:

Make trucks that need constant upkeep and servicing then put the dumbest motherfuckers they can find behind the wheel. Recipe for success right there!

Stand in any large truck shop service shop more than 5min and you'll here.

Driver: Yes, truck need repair

Shop Employee: Ok, whats wrong with the truck?

Driver: Oil change

Employee: And what is the make/model/engine of the truck

Driver: Yes, Freightliner two zero zero one five.

Employee: So its a 2015 Freightliner?

Driver: Freightliner two zero zero one five, yes.

Employee: Ok, what brand of oil?

Driver: Yes, oil change.

:homer::homer::homer::homer:

:laughing:

Make trucks that need constant upkeep and servicing then put the dumbest motherfuckers they can find behind the wheel. Recipe for success right there!

Stand in any large truck shop service shop more than 5min and you'll here.

Driver: Yes, truck need repair

Shop Employee: Ok, whats wrong with the truck?

Driver: Oil change

Employee: And what is the make/model/engine of the truck

Driver: Yes, Freightliner two zero zero one five.

Employee: So its a 2015 Freightliner?

Driver: Freightliner two zero zero one five, yes.

Employee: Ok, what brand of oil?

Driver: Yes, oil change.

:homer::homer::homer::homer:
You forgot:
"Warranty, you fix"
"Make noise"
"Is broken"
blank stare

:homer:

All your problems are solved when it goes electric...:stirthepot:
Ive wondered if I'll still be working when they start to go mainstream...what kinda stuff will be the "normal" wear items, what kind of service work will be needed , ect.
Will you have to have a fucking EE degree to touch them...yada yada

Ive wondered if I'll still be working when they start to go mainstream...what kinda stuff will be the "normal" wear items, what kind of service work will be needed , ect.
Will you have to have a fucking EE degree to touch them...yada yada
I plan to be, and I plan to be more valuable because of the complexity.
I enjoy the real cock sucker jobs, the intermittent faults, broken wire shit etc. that other techs avoid.

Currently we have two diesel electric dozers the D7E and the D6XE, we have some classes for them but not a active policy to limit who works on them (within reason).
There will be a point in time where you can adapt and move on get left behind.

Pretty much every old school trucker knew their rigs, knew how to fix them, kept those wheels rolling on for millions of miles. Now they're just wheel jockeys and most can't drive a standard trans to save their lives. And couldn't tell you fawk all about their rigs.

This shit is so dumb. When will people figure it out that these requirements are going to cripple the economy even more. This administration is running the train right off a bridge and people are just going along happily with it. Honestly, what the hell happened to America?

Cafe 2026 is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Gas powered vehicles will all have to be hybrids to make that standard and it will definitely cripple our hobbies in the future.

I'm curious too how the West Virginia vs. EPA case will change these things...EPA was basically told to fuck off, you dont make laws...been waiting for auto industry to start pushing back....might happen, might not.

Pretty much every old school trucker knew their rigs, knew how to fix them, kept those wheels rolling on for millions of miles. Now they're just wheel jockeys and most can't drive a standard trans to save their lives. And couldn't tell you fawk all about their rigs.

This shit is so dumb. When will people figure it out that these requirements are going to cripple the economy even more. This administration is running the train right off a bridge and people are just going along happily with it. Honestly, what the hell happened to America?

Cafe 2026 is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Gas powered vehicles will all have to be hybrids to make that standard and it will definitely cripple our hobbies in the future.
It tells you in the EPA doc how much money it will save from climate change by spending it on the trucks. :clown:

Top Back Refresh