What's new

Thinking about buying a toaster to drive

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
Firstly I am trying to live a life of not spending shit.

I live 15 miles from work and need to be able to get there without issues.

I currently drive beaters.

Cars have gotten expensive as fuck, it is about $50k before I see a car I would be interested in.

Not interested in spending that, not interested in repairing my daily anymore either.

That got me looking around.

I have found that I can get a 6k mile 2019 Nissan Sentra with a manual transmission for under $14k

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...e1=NISSAN&modelCode1=SENTRA&clickType=listing

I have never been in a Sentra, I have been in a few Versa's (rental cars) and fucking hated them

I am hoping the Sentra is a bit better.

All I drive is back and forth to work, that is all I want this car for.

Second I am not interested in dealing with a car dealer right now, I have made it this far without wearing a mask and am not looking to wear one now.

I am thinking about buying this without a test drive.

Anyone have one or been in one?

I know the CVT is shit and that is why I am going to buy one with a manual in it.

Do these cars have direct injection? I have searched and cannot find that out.

I really do not want that shit.

Thoughts?

Yea, my BIL and his girlfriend drove a Nissan. Versa I think it was. Absolute heap of garbage. When they bought they were excited because it won lots of awards. They always mocked me for driving a 15 year old Ford Wagon. Well, their award winning car lasted less than a year. Looks who's still driving the wagon. :homer:

The Civic's sell for more but the Corolla in auto is the same price.

it is a CVT, has Toyota figured that shit out or is it the same garbage that goes randomly like the other manufactures?

I've honestly been looking at used Kia Souls. The damn things are dirt ass cheap. I'm talking late model under 75k miles and we'll under $10k type cheap. Just drive the damn thing to death and when it shits the bed have it hauled off to the scrapyard and forget about it. For what they go for they're practically disposable.

As ghey as it sounds, for a cheap, trouble-free commuting experience, find a 10-year old Prius and call it a day. They are uncool enough to have low resale value, but still get 50 mpg on a commute.

#1 priority is no work needed, I do not think a 10 year Prius can do that.

I want to put in gas and pay for oil changes, that is it.

I've honestly been looking at used Kia Souls. The damn things are dirt ass cheap. I'm talking late model under 75k miles and we'll under $10k type cheap. Just drive the damn thing to death and when it shits the bed have it hauled off to the scrapyard and forget about it. For what they go for they're practically disposable.

I have been seeing those too.

However I think the last few years have been direct injected and I want to stay the fuck away from that shit.

What years you thinking about?

As ghey as it sounds, for a cheap, trouble-free commuting experience, find a 10-year old Prius and call it a day. They are uncool enough to have low resale value, but still get 50 mpg on a commute.

This would be my suggestion. I put my Tacoma in the ditch on black ice a few weeks ago. Buddy loaned me his Prius while it was in the body shop. it's a 2014 Prius C. the most basic base model you can get. it's got power windows, locks and AC but that's about it. even in the sub zero temps that it runs the engine 100% to supply heater it still gets 42 mpg. the first week I was driving it it was around 50 mpg because it was warmer out and could shut down the engine cruising through towns and up to stop signs. It does have the CVT trans in it but it's got 120k on it. Buddy bought it at 60k and has only changed the oil and put tires on it. it just goes and goes.

Screw any crap nissan has made in the last decade. All garbage. I've had 2 nissan work vans, we retire them at 60k as they start falling apart. Also had several nissan rental and every one I sat in and had the "how does anyone test drive this and still buy one"

Mazda, Honda or Toyota if you want stupid longevity. Shit, a miata will run on pretty much nothing, fun to drive and cheap.

However I think the last few years have been direct injected and I want to stay the fuck away from that shit.

I was looking 2015ish. I mean, if I can pick up something for barely over $5k that's pretty new with fairly low miles, I'll just drive the wheels off the damn thing for sales calls and keep miles off my 4-Runner.

Screw any crap nissan has made in the last decade. All garbage. I've had 2 nissan work vans, we retire them at 60k as they start falling apart. Also had several nissan rental and every one I sat in and had the "how does anyone test drive this and still buy one"

Mazda, Honda or Toyota if you want stupid longevity. Shit, a miata will run on pretty much nothing, fun to drive and cheap.

I have a Miata. a really nice one.

It is not for me, selling that shortly.

Direct Injection isn't a huge problem...yeah you get some intake valve caking, but you only need to deal with it like every 60-80k and even then it's just marginally hurting your mileage, the thing still runs.

Mazda is another decent option, the 3 after the first gen's (post 2010) don't rust out as badly and will go for 200k no problem.

I was looking 2015ish. I mean, if I can pick up something for barely over $5k that's pretty new with fairly low miles, I'll just drive the wheels off the damn thing for sales calls and keep miles off my 4-Runner.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Hyundai / kia direct injected engines are shit that cannot be replaced as quickly as they blow up.

i'd buy a 10 year old prius in a heartbeat, they don't get driven as much or as hard as most other cars and don't have as much shit to break. the single speed hybrid "CVT" is a sun/planet gear setup and not a belt CVT and is millions of times more durable

Reactions: DMG
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Hyundai / kia direct injected engines are shit that cannot be replaced as quickly as they blow up.

They might be. I don't know. I've literally put no more thought into this other than "damn, those things are cheap maybe I should look into it".

I have a 19 Corolla LE I snagged out the door for 14k new. Meets your reqs as a senseless AtoB no fawks given appliance. 20k mi on mine so far, no issues. 40+ mpg, I drive for 2.5 weeks on $20 of gas, lol.....

Oh and there may still be some WV dieselgate buybacks out there. I got my wagon for under 13k with 30k miles, CPO everything warranty till 60k, engine/emission warranty till 120k. 40mpg, oil is more expensive but 10k change interval.

Did I hear right that Nissan had started sourcing it's 4cyl engines from Mercedes, or at least licensing and using their technology?

When the Japanese are going to the Germans for a 4cyl economy engine, that just screams "something is wrong here"

The Civic's sell for more but the Corolla in auto is the same price.

it is a CVT, has Toyota figured that shit out or is it the same garbage that goes randomly like the other manufactures?

The Aisin 313 (pretty sure that's whats in it) seems to have good reliability. Remember there are hundreds of thousands? millions? of these 'lil turds running around and if they had major problems, you'd hear more about it. The Nissan's, Subaru's and some others had a bunch of problems but never really any mention of the 'yota's having widespread issues.

Oh and there may still be some WV dieselgate buybacks out there. I got my wagon for under 13k with 30k miles, CPO everything warranty till 60k, engine/emission warranty till 120k. 40mpg, oil is more expensive but 10k change interval.

This is something else that's crossed my mind. Looks like resale on those things is pretty damn cheap too. Looks like they can be had all day around $10k. I just know absolutely nothing about them other than that VW/Audi maintenance tends to be a fucking nightmare so I haven't really looked into them past that.

I have a 19 Corolla LE I snagged out the door for 14k new. Meets your reqs as a senseless AtoB no fawks given appliance. 20k mi on mine so far, no issues. 40+ mpg, I drive for 2.5 weeks on $20 of gas, lol.....

Damn that is a good price, I will look for a good deal on a leftover 2020 perhaps?

yea, that's actually not too bad.

its a shame we need awd/4x4 in my parts. :homer:

I have a 2009 jetta 2.5 that has survived way longer than I thought it would. It's also kinda fun to drive, and it doesn't feel like a tin can when you shut the door. Maybe I got the one non-lemming, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Crispins,

Corolla - set and forget (timing chain vs timing belt, and its a durable time tested platform) - something like Flexy TJ bought. /thread
Spend a little more money now and drive it into the ground, versus starting with another used vehicle that you are not sure on how it was maintained prior to you acquiring it.

Drop me a PM on that Miata, know of someone looking for just the right car, if I am not mistaken it is turbo'd?

Top Back Refresh