What's new

Thinking about an electric fan...

Member Number
For a CJ7 with 4.2.

wasn’t there a duel fan factory one that came on an early model Ford Focus or something?

TIA

I believe the Mercury Mystique V6 fan assembly will just about drop onto a CJ radiator.

I have two Proform 67012 setup as pushers. I ran them alone on my 4.2 for several years with good results.
I left them in when I went to a V8 as a backup for hot days on rocky trails.

Taurus fan I had in the Samurai was no joke.

YaI I had a Taurus two speed fan on my 4Runner and it did an outstanding job cooling it down.

2 speed Volvo fan on my xj is probably the best thing I ever did to it.

82 CJ with 4.2 , 3 core , homemade alum shroud , Volvo 2 speed , i have never had to switch it to hi !

Can I ask why you’re getting rid of the engine driven fan?

Taurus fan I had in the Samurai was no joke.

Taurus fan in a samurai ? :eek:

This fan keeps up with big V8s, I bet in the samurai it counted as a propulsion device :laughing:

Taurus fan in a samurai ? :eek:

This fan keeps up with big V8s, I bet in the samurai it counted as a propulsion device :laughing:
yea, I want to say it didn't last long. I had it in there, it was stupid loud, and took up a lot of room. I ended up with a dove nose and in the process got rid of the fan. Went with something smaller.

Can I ask why you’re getting rid of the engine driven fan?
Op used to ask dumb questions on old board without searching. Had dumb reasons he wanted to do things. Then never actually did them.
Basically his posts are a waste of time I had him on ignore over there.

It keeps up with smallblocks in rock crawling applications. There's a reason nobody who has any other choice is running an electric fan in a tow rig.

Since when a samurai or a CJ7 is a tow rig ?

Since when a samurai or a CJ7 is a tow rig ?
It's not but my point is that electric fans don't move as much air so you're relying on the cooling system to act as an accumulator more than you are with a engine fan that moves more air. That's fine for most vehicles with the stock engine but when you start dumping V8s into stuff and keeping the radiator that was sized for the heat output of a 3L or smaller engine then you're gonna be pushing the limit a lot more.

It's not but my point is that electric fans don't move as much air so you're relying on the cooling system to act as an accumulator more than you are with a engine fan that moves more air. That's fine for most vehicles with the stock engine but when you start dumping V8s into stuff and keeping the radiator that was sized for the heat output of a 3L or smaller engine then you're gonna be pushing the limit a lot more.

I've seen Taurus/Volvo fans keep up with 650hp strokers under heavy Jeeps.
Not all e-fans are shitty.
Last one I know for a fact worked was 2 weeks ago when a buddy put a Volvo fan on a 5.3 Vortec swapped TJ with a 24x19 dual 1" row rad. Keeps up just fine in the hottest days of the year in the SE.

I would not recomend e-fan swapping your Duramax tow rig. But once again, this isn't what we're talking about here.

I've seen Taurus/Volvo fans keep up with 650hp strokers under heavy Jeeps.
Not all e-fans are shitty.
Last one I know for a fact worked was 2 weeks ago when a buddy put a Volvo fan on a 5.3 Vortec swapped TJ with a 24x19 dual 1" row rad. Keeps up just fine in the hottest days of the year in the SE.

I would not recomend e-fan swapping your Duramax tow rig. But once again, this isn't what we're talking about here.

I've run a Taurus fan. I know what they can do. The fact of the matter is that an engine fan is pretty much always gonna move more at the cost of .5 mpg for street use or a few tenths in the 1/4, not typically the kinds of things we care about around here. Anyone who already has an engine fan probably shouldn't ditch it.

The 4.2 in the CJ model has some tight clearance between the water pump and radiator. I’ve been down the electric fan road and the engine driven has always provided better cooling in every situation for me

I personally swapped on a good shroud and “flex a lite” fan and called it a day. Something to note, The serpentine style runs reverse rotation.

The flex a lite design gave me a little more clearance between the radiator and moves plenty of air. Just my opinion.

We used a dual fan setup from a Ford Contour on my brother's CJ-5 with an AMC 360. 2000 V6 should get you the right part. Fit the CJ radiator perfectly with a minimum of trimming and fitting. the 2 fans add redundancy and it is possible that the I6 will occupy the space between the two fan motors. . We hooked up 2 relays through a dual temp BMW sensor to control the high and low speed through the resistor built into the shroud.

Top Back Refresh