What's new

The Wife’s Rig

Pomo

Member Number
~1973 Scout 2
~304 v8
~4 speed manual 4x4
~Converted truck cab? previous owner did a crappy job…….rusted ………the usual areas
~14 bolt rear, 10 bolt front…..( just bought a d44 housing to swap all the outers to) and I have no idea of gears or lockers, have not got that far yet.
~37” Humvee military tires and bead locks
~HySteer
~ think everything else is stock, or been gutted, or ranch modified. Truck has been non-opt for a few years now, so until I get her road worthy, she will remain that way.

I'm originally a Toyota guy, never have built anything full-width. So I’m doing lots of research on how to adapt this old motor to new tech. Plan is to make it road worthy, quality restoration, but a fun and capable trail rig.

some of the issues I’m starting with are:

~Rocker panel, body mounts, and floor rust replacement.
~Tuning the carb, runs rough, seems to possibly be running rich?
~swapping out the 10 bolt for the d44 front, apparently the 44 is stronger for larger tires than building a 10 bolt….
-cab removal, debating the install of a basic roll bar or full cage and using a soft topper or bikini top.
- Also looking into transfer case options, Atlas? Nv4500? what mounts to the 304 for crawler gears……how I can get low but still drive 70 on the freeway.

Not a quick build, but I will post anything I do new, very interested in help, ideas or criticism.

IMG_6183 2.jpeg
IMG_6185.jpeg
IMG_6188 2.jpeg
IMG_6169.jpeg
IMG_6326.jpeg

Looks pretty sweet as is.

You may look into Hamilton fuel injection or a Holley kit. May be worth the investment now.

I’m not sure I would sweat the difference between the 10 bolt and Dana 44. Maybe look into just putting 30 spline inner shafts in the 10b or bolt in a Chevy/dodge dana 60.

I wouldn't waste any time swapping 10 bolt for 44. Honestly there isn't a difference in strength. Bunch of 10 bolts in junkyards more than 44s these days, so you should be able to hoard a bunch of spare axle shafts.

Sell the 44 and start a front 60 build if your plan was to upgrade.

You could get by for a long time with that 10 bolt, some lighter 37s and lighter wheels and good driving.

Although I do like the military double locks...I had a set on my scout. Your starting to get to the limits of a 10 bolt OR 44 and those heavy military wheels/tires won't help.

Some 37 iroks and aluminum wheels would be good. I think better investment of time and money than putting a 44 in there.

If it was a 44 in there already and you had a 10 bolt I'd still say there's no point in swapping one for the other. I do think you can find more JY spare shafts for a 10 bolt though.

I miss my scouts : (

Have fun!

ihpartsjeff knows how to put an NV4500 behind an IH V8.

I would also leave the 10 bolt up front (would not bother with dana 44 stuff). You can still find 10 bolts in junkyards fairly easily, not so much with 44s.

I would run the 10 bolt and keep my eyes out for a deal on a 60. If you swap transmissions that would allow you to run a drivers side drop T-Case, which opens up the options of a ford 60. Although those would not be bolt in and would require you to outboard the leaf springs.

I wouldn't waste any time swapping 10 bolt for 44. Honestly there isn't a difference in strength. Bunch of 10 bolts in junkyards more than 44s these days, so you should be able to hoard a bunch of spare axle shafts.

Sell the 44 and start a front 60 build if your plan was to upgrade.

You could get by for a long time with that 10 bolt, some lighter 37s and lighter wheels and good driving.

Although I do like the military double locks...I had a set on my scout. Your starting to get to the limits of a 10 bolt OR 44 and those heavy military wheels/tires won't help.

Some 37 iroks and aluminum wheels would be good. I think better investment of time and money than putting a 44 in there.

If it was a 44 in there already and you had a 10 bolt I'd still say there's no point in swapping one for the other. I do think you can find more JY spare shafts for a 10 bolt though.

I miss my scouts : (

Have fun!
So I guess I have a spare Dana 44 now…..lol.

sounds like I need to figure my trans/t-case before looking for a Dana60. I sure would like to be able to crawl.

appreciate the insight!

As mentioned, we do offer an adapter kit to put a NV4500 behind the IH engine. We also sell body parts like the rockers, floor and floor mounts. best to check out our website for all the goodies that you are after - IH Parts America Store

BTW - That Scout looks awfully familiar and has one of our stickers on it too.
Bought it from a buddy of mine in Sac, Jody Matsler, he owns a business called “The Bike Man” paints motorcycles. He bought it off his brother who bought it from another guy……anyway it’s been non- opt the last 3 years or so, I have the original bill of sale and title, just need to sign my name when I’m ready.

I will look up the nv4500 parts, is that the best way to go about the crawler gears or dual cases setup?

Bought it from a buddy of mine in Sac, Jody Matsler, he owns a business called “The Bike Man” paints motorcycles. He bought it off his brother who bought it from another guy……anyway it’s been non- opt the last 3 years or so, I have the original bill of sale and title, just need to sign my name when I’m ready.

I will look up the nv4500 parts, is that the best way to go about the crawler gears or dual cases setup?
With the IH granny 4 speed, a 4:1 scout dana 300 and 5.38 axle gears you could have 136:1 crawl ratio.

Finding a scout dana 300 is hard. The 4:1 gears for a scout dana 300 are no longer in production.

IH granny 4 speed, dana 20 and 5.38 comes to 83:1. Probably not low enough for most of us.

I didn’t know of a way to put a doubler doubler behind a scout t18/19 until now;

With the IH granny 4 speed, a 4:1 scout dana 300 and 5.38 axle gears you could have 136:1 crawl ratio.

Finding a scout dana 300 is hard. The 4:1 gears for a scout dana 300 are no longer in production.

IH granny 4 speed, dana 20 and 5.38 comes to 83:1. Probably not low enough for most of us.

I didn’t know of a way to put a doubler doubler behind a scout t18/19 until now;
Use the JEEP adapter and I think it's an easy swap on a 4x4 T19.

I used the AA adapter for a Ford, and had to redrill the adapter and the T19 case. Maybe it doesn't matter if you start with a 2wd T19 and have to drill holes regardless.

I now have the Novak Jeep adapter and it looks like the bolt pattern for the adapter is the same as the IH Dana 20 adapter, so a much easier conversion. I haven't built a second T19 yet.

2spd Atlas will fit - easier with a 1" body lift, it'll just clear the bottom of the frame and the floor. Exhaust has to be rerouted.

Length wise, the NV4500 is relatively long, and roughly a NV4500 + 2spd Atlas is about the same length as a T19 and 4spd Atlas.

The NV4500 is a more modern transmission..

Jeff's kit to put the NV4500 behind the IH engine is great, think you still have to sort out clutch by going with a hydro clutch, I could be wrong.

I think he states his kit works best with Dodge NV4500s or Atleast the later GM 96+ that has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the dodge.

(94/95 GM has a proprietary bellhousing bolt pattern)

I have a NWF ecobox behind my GM NV4500 and then NP205.

I'm about 160:1 crawl ratio in first gear. 5.61:1 first.

Mine is behind a 5.3L LM7 with the early GM bellhousing 2 year only, weak prone to cracking.

I converted the stock scout clutch pedal to push horizontally rather than vertical (rod through floor) used the stock 95 GM clutch master on the fire wall and external slave. Works great.

I have a $250 4L80 sitting here for when the rattle box NV4500 shits the bed. Plan on reverse manual valve body and a winters rock gate shifter. Should bolt up no issues to my doubler. Then just have to modify trans crossmember and get driveshafts retubed.

I’m gonna start small. Ruffstuff makes a nice 14 bolt rear disc brake kit, think I’m gonna start there. something simple and fun, If the H1 rims don't fit the calipers I’ll sell the H1’s and find tires I want.

still debating the transfer case issue, think atlas is the way, but time will tell.

thank you all for the front axle info, I’ll be on the lookout for a 60 front in the future.

I’ll post pictures and detail on the disc brakes when I get it, then I think I’m gonna work on cutting the rust out of the cab.

also I got some 63” Chevy springs when I bout the scout, probably put those in as well since the rear springs are hella wimpy on it now.

only update I got right now, rain sucks right now, and I’m in the middle of building a shop at the same time…..🙄

Did you get the parking brake ones or the standard 3/4 ton caliper?

I could never get the set of Eldorado calipers I had to work. Could never adjust them properly and their holding power on 40s sucked.

That's why I just put a late model 14 bolt in (drum in hat parking brakes and better 2 piston calipers)

Hope they work for you.

Guy on Binderplanet.com just put a set of Chevy 52s up front and a set of 63s in the rear of his rig.

I could never get the set of Eldorado calipers I had to work. Could never adjust them properly and their holding power on 40s sucked.

That's why I just put a late model 14 bolt in (drum in hat parking brakes and better 2 piston calipers)

Hope they work for you.

Guy on Binderplanet.com just put a set of Chevy 52s up front and a set of 63s in the rear of his rig.
How did you fit late model 14b brakes on an early housing?

You can fit the newer brakes on an early housing, it involves cutting the old bracket off and welding on a new bracket.
Don't know of anyone that offers said bracket.

Edit! Found this guy back in 2021 had some cut, Flange for newer disc brakes on older 14 bolt axles

Wonder if he moved over here.

However you would need the late model SRW hubs, the anchor plates, new linger studs if running alum wheels, as the stock ones are metric.

Last edited:

Hope they work for you.

I haven’t ordered them yet, but was thinking the E-Brake calipers sounded logical. Not sure what I would do for the e-Brake if I didn’t……

I had 63’s on my old toyota rear, they seemed to work great, other than that I’d probably just get some custom Alcan’s…..if their still around

work calls have been trickling in, so been busy…sucks

Alcan is still around. I've run 4 wheelin seasons on stock rear springs SOA with 1 extra main leaf with the eyes cut off under the main leaf, have not broke one yet surprisingly.

Lugnut4x4sells the bigger parking brake caliper 3/4 ton siz3 with the proper sized pads. I could never get the parking brake to work, could get 1 side tight but could never get the other side adjusted properly. Hence why I stopped wasting my time and put in the late model 14 bolt.

Last edited:
.02: figure out the carb, get it moving under its' own power, bleed the brakes, flush the fuel, and drive it a little. it looks fairly capable as it sits and should be ready for some good fun, and does not look like most hacked "builds" that pop up.

order some body mounts from Jeff, box in the rockers with some tube or replacement metal while you gather the other parts.

I say this as the guy who's pickup project is in pieces with no wiring, drivetrain, mixed axles, etc and no end to the project in sight:homer:

Top Back Refresh