What's new

The whiskey thread

I got a couple bottles as late Christmas presents. Normally I stick to the Glenfiddich.
20210116_085040.jpg

Fawkin heathen:flipoff2:

Only way to drink real whisky is straight or on the rocks :stirthepot:

wisdom and should be an enforceable law of the land. Suntory, any one of several and if have to have Bourbon, I look for Gentleman Jack. I treid the Lapraige and can't hack the smoke. Maybe I burned out on dry weed in the 70's :laughing:

Gentleman jack on ice is my favorite.

My go to is captain Morgan spiced rum cut with A&W cream soda. If you like a sweet drink it's really good.

Fawkin heathen:flipoff2:

Only way to drink real whisky is straight or on the rocks :stirthepot:

That was my point with the Jura, it was horrible. Maybe it was a bad bottle.

wisdom and should be an enforceable law of the land. Suntory, any one of several and if have to have Bourbon, I look for Gentleman Jack. I treid the Lapraige and can't hack the smoke. Maybe I burned out on dry weed in the 70's

I've come to enjoy the Laphroiag. Sometimes things just clash with what I had for dinner just before, stuff like that. There's a smoked bourbon that I need to get my hands on. I don't know what they smoked, but it sounds awesome.

Gentleman jack on ice is my favorite.

My go to is captain Morgan spiced rum cut with A&W cream soda. If you like a sweet drink it's really good.

Want a hard seltzer with that? :angel:

Anything from Glenmorangie or The Dalmore, the Cigar Malt is one of my favorites. I have a bottle of Aberlour 16 year double cask that is very good. I like Knob Creek and Clyde Mays in bourbon and the wife likes Bulleit.

I know shite about scotch. Having said that I have tried and liked Monkey Shoulder. Not bad and can taste the smoke in it for sure. here does this fall in the scotch spectrum ? Heard there is all types from kind of fruity to tasting like burnt moss lol. I have a bottle of Ardbeg 10, how is that going to compare to Monkey Shoulder?

Thus far the best whiskey I've had is the Whistle Pig 15 reserve a buddy gave me Christmas. Shit is it good.

I know shite about scotch. Having said that I have tried and liked Monkey Shoulder. Not bad and can taste the smoke in it for sure. here does this fall in the scotch spectrum ? Heard there is all types from kind of fruity to tasting like burnt moss lol. I have a bottle of Ardbeg 10, how is that going to compare to Monkey Shoulder?

Thus far the best whiskey I've had is the Whistle Pig 15 reserve a buddy gave me Christmas. Shit is it good.

Monkey Shoulder is about at the opposite end of the spectrum from the Ardbeg! Ardbeg is BBQ smoke smokey. Like your house will smell like a campfire, it's that smokey. You may or may not like it, it's intense.

Did you try the Ardbeg yet?

I need to get me some Balcones, but nobody around me has it. And Wisconsin has stupid liquor shipping rules. You can get wine and beer, but ooooohh that liquor. Gah.

Not yet, it got buried behind other bottles. I almost worked my way back to it lol. Need to give it a try soon. I am curious about it.

And really? I would have thought Wisconsin would be rather relaxed about booze.

Not yet, it got buried behind other bottles. I almost worked my way back to it lol. Need to give it a try soon. I am curious about it.

And really? I would have thought Wisconsin would be rather relaxed about booze.

You'd think so, but these rules are really screwy all over the US, not just here.

I found some Balcones deep in the heart of Illinois. Brimstone, Baby Blue, their regular bourbon, Texas single malt, and the lineage single malt. So far I like what I've tried, especially that Texas single malt. I mean I reeeeally like it. I'm drinking Baby Blue right now and it's awesome, but a little bit sweeter than I expected. The Brimmstone is simply a "fuck you" whiskey. If Texas had a state whiskey this is it. They actually smoked the whiskey. Crazy. I got a half dozen other new ones to try. The Woodinville Rye is pretty damned awesome, too. I went on a bit of a splurge recently.

A friend of a friend who is a well rounded booze guy recommended this to me. Took over a month to find, and it ended up in my local store. The store owner said she just happened to run across it and was "a good deal".
Really good!

PXL_20210320_012406509.jpg

makers for bourbon
black bushmills for irish
laphraiog for scotch

lots of great booze out there, hard to go wrong, but, in general.

I prefer Irish to Scotch, which seems to make me a heretic.

Not at all. I haven't gotten deep down into the Irish, but I've had a few and they are good. There is a blurry line between some Scotch, Irish, and Jap whiskey. You might like some of the American single-malt types, too. The pot-stilled stuff :)

I prefer Irish to Scotch, which seems to make me a heretic.

Same here. I like scotch, but it becomes such a deep chase, I would just rather have bushmills or jameson.

Here here on the nod to Balcones.. I have one of just about everything they currently offer. I drink more Baby Blue, Brimstone and True Blue on the regular. Bulliet Rye and their 7 year as well. Blade and Bow is another one in the stash I like. Breckinridge Reserve is another I recently tied and really like. Treaty Oak 10 Red Handed 10 yr is another that was recommended my my guy at my local store. I was pleasantly surprised.

Here here on the nod to Balcones.. I have one of just about everything they currently offer. I drink more Baby Blue, Brimstone and True Blue on the regular. Bulliet Rye and their 7 year as well. Blade and Bow is another one in the stash I like. Breckinridge Reserve is another I recently tied and really like. Treaty Oak 10 Red Handed 10 yr is another that was recommended my my guy at my local store. I was pleasantly surprised.

I've been going through some of my Balcones. All of it has been really good so far... I had tasted Brimmstone when I got it, but I decided to just try a glass tonight. I feel like I'm drinking the drip pan out of my smoker, not in a good way. I do not like it as of right now. We'll see. It might pair well with Hamburger Helper, though.

New haul from the past few weeks! My awesome wife was out of town for a few weeks and brought me some tasty treats! Gotta curb the whiskey buying for a while!

20210328_094111 (Custom).jpg

Since Trackerbacker got everybody's attention. I'll update this one. Found this Indiana Bourbon a couple weeks ago. I'm on the 3rd bottle.:smokin:. I'd say Basil Haydens with a little more bite.
Redemption.jpg

Since Trackerbacker got everybody's attention. I'll update this one. Found this Indiana Bourbon a couple weeks ago. I'm on the 3rd bottle.:smokin:. I'd say Basil Haydens with a little more bite.
Redemption.jpg
MGP makes some decent stuff. I went to the Cedar Ridge distillery in Iowa today and picked up a few things and tried some others. They have a malted wheat and malted rye. I don't mean malted barley in the mash bill, I mean they actually had the rye and wheat malted, which is really unique.

Top Back Refresh