What's new

The whiskey thread

realsquash

Member Number
Loc
Southern Wisconsin
There was a good one on the old board, I have been rotating through some bottles recently and was wondering what everyone else is drinking. I didn't find another thread on here already, if so my bad. Rye, bourbon, Canadian, Scotch, Jap, Irish, whatever. Vodka, rum, tequila, gin, and beer are not whiskey so go start your own thread :P

I'm sipping a Michters 10 year old bourbon now and I had a little Whistlepig 10 before that. My wife signed me up for Flaviar, so that has allowed me to taste some stuff I can't even get around here. I got one reeeeally nice bottle of Pig last week. Need to get a photo of that....

Our house scotch is Johnny Walker Black, just enough peaty smoke to make my mouth water. Brought 2 that I has never tried when we kayak camped down the Delaware in October, will have to look those up.

Me and whiskey don’t get along very well, never have :barf:

I used to drink Black Velvet in coffee back when I was in Washington state, but haven’t since then :homer:

Cheap Canadian blended shit are my favorites. I've tried a pile of them and other than ol number 7 I don't like any American whiskey.

I will never let myself run out of Laphroaig. I have no such royalty to any bourbon/rye distiller but usually stick to Bulleit and always prefer rye (I like the spice/less sweet than bourbon taste).

I had some Laphroaig 10 last night :) A campfire in your mouth, I love it. I have a lot of rye and I'm always trying new ones. I got a bottle of Sazerac 18 about 8 years ago, which was magically delicious. Bought a Pappy 13 (I think it was a 13) at the same time. I paid about $250 for those two bottles. Today those are $2k EACH. WTF has the world come to. Damned hipsters.

I've got a few in the house, kinda enjoying this Canadian Club 12 year stuff I have, picked up a second bottle the other day...better than the run of the mill ones and not too much more $$$. Also have some Forty Creek Confederation Oak Reserve that's been real good and is almost gone. Have the standard Jack Daniels and Jim Beam crap, hard to drink that these days lol and usually have some Crown Royal around but actually not right now it seems, bottle is empty :(

There is some Crown hiding in the back. Currently out of stock: Makers and Jameson. Whistle Pig and Jeffersons Ocean also enter the rotation now and then.

20201215_205349.jpg

Anything from the Isle of Jura. Blended, single malt it doesn't matter, they don't seem to be able to make a bad whisky :smokin:

My go to is Angels Envy for neat, Bulleit Rye for old fashioneds.

My dad gave me the bottle of Blanton's, so that's getting cracked tomorrow. I think it's great, but a bit overhyped - I still prefer AE and I don't need to wash the taste of man out of my mouth after procuring it... didn't ask how dad got a bottle.

I got the bottles of Glenlivet and Stranahans as going away gifts. If I have other stuff, I don't reach for either. The scotch is good, but not something I want much of. The Stranahans would be decent at $20-$25, but I would still go for Bulleit or spend a little more on Buffalo Trace.

20201224_070134.jpg

Our current collection has quite a few bottles du to the girl taking a trip to Chicago and Omaha. NC has the ABC board so we don't get much here. Currently have several bottle we both like, Buffalo Trace, EH Taylor, Blantons (way over hyped) Woodford double oaked, Monkey Shoulder, Weller 107 and reserve, Widow Jane, Angels Envy, and Willet.

Why are vodka, rum, tequila, and gin not considered for this thread? Serious question.

They are spirits, but not whiskey.

We tend to buy a bottle to try and then they usually stay around with a drink or two missing. For Bourbon I like Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, Jim Beam Black or Jim Beam Stag (cherry), Blantons, etc. Eagle Rare was okay too. For Scotch Whisky it's Balvenie 17, Glenfiddich 18, Balvenie 14 the rest of the Glenfiddich's but less so the 12, and Jura Superstition. JW Blue is good, but really over hyped.

Man I love me some Woodford double oaked. Maker's 46 is up there, too, very similar process as the WRDO.

Red Stagg and 7up is one of my favorite cheap drinks. So good.

I want to drink whiskey this morning, but I have to work :(

For those that like the Woodford double oaked, have you tried Old Forrester 1910? I find them to be similar

Man I love me some Woodford double oaked. Maker's 46 is up there, too, very similar process as the WRDO.

Red Stagg and 7up is one of my favorite cheap drinks. So good.

I want to drink whiskey this morning, but I have to work :(

Makers 46 too. I didn't like it at first but it's not bad. The same with Blantons.

For those that like the Woodford double oaked, have you tried Old Forrester 1910? I find them to be similar

I have not, but I'll look for it.

Jim Beam Devil's cut is what regular Beam ought to taste like IMO.

Why are vodka, rum, tequila, and gin not considered for this thread? Serious question.

boo hiss...:flipoff2:
Cuz op said....
that and it aint wiskey...
Me, four roses single, small batch then the blend, buffalo trace, makers, and in first place if $$$ was not an issue would be Pappys.

I am trying to learn to like whiskey. I have a couple bottles I am trying out right now. I have a bottle of Woodford, a Japanese whiskey, a Tewlamore Dew, and some Leadslingers because they are owned by Black Rifle coffee.

I can't drink it on the rocks yet and enjoy it, but in a sour or a spiked Arnold palmer I enjoy it.

Top Back Refresh