What's new

The other AZ 4wd conversion The store brand version

Man that sucks about the donor getting stolen, hope you get it back or at least insurance covers it so you can get another one.

I'm actually collecting parts to do a 05+ dana 60 install into my 1978 F150 4x4.

For the arms I'm going with WFO Concepts (RuffStuff makes them too but are currently out of stock and WFO has the option of receiving them welded. *I'm lazy and don't want to spend a bunch of time clamping them just right to get them true*):
https://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/Unive...nks/3203/19908
or
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/R2348.html
(RuffStuff also has universal radius arms+mounts if you didn't go with an 05+ Dana 60)

To address the frame width issue RuffStuff makes these Frame Outriggers:
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/OUTRIG-45.html

I did this exact setup with a '96 12v. '05+ axles using this kit and outriggers, along with accutune coilovers (which need stiffer springs as we guessed low on weight). All around worked out flawlessly!

Slow, not stopped

The stolen leaf spring truck threw me for a loop, none of my options played out, wrong gearing, low pinion, etc etc

F vans, with the huge 5.8 intake, it was a monster to pull out, chopped the floor back to the rear u joint, pulled the AC, PS pump, the crank pulley, and still hammered the dash board pulling it out the passenger door. I should have pulled the body like the f250.....

I made my daughter help, she just got her learners permit, she drove the truck and trailer, did well, she operated the lift while I ran the saw, 5' prybar and my filthy mouth :laughing:

anyways, the trailer has the hard parts, the good 351 with bad 2wd c6, the hopefully good 4wd c6 with bad 351, an 08 d60, radius arms, diesel coils, gas coils, and a 10.5 sterling robbed from another future project.

3.73s it is

the 2005 20s will likely be traded off. I'm watching for wheels I like, but it'll probably be factory steel 17s with 315 70s in the meantime

photo49429.jpg

photo49430.jpg

Been 3 months man, you almost done?
I missed this:homer:

Circumstances changed a little bit, I found some dirt I bought, hopefully pouring concrete soon for a work area with a lift

I also picked up a mid life crisis car for the meantime:laughing:

If I don't post a picture of this thing on a lift by November 1st, roast my ass:flipoff2:

Well, i haven't exactly been watching grass grow. Shit happens fast, I bought a clean rollback outside of the bay area, then found a hammered single wide on 1.1 acres with utilities, on a paved road, 15 miles from freeway, I'm going to pour a slab behind it, already have the structural steel and the shade panels, bought that shit last week trying to beat any price increases. I have an old bachelor buddy I wanted to rent the trailer to once fixed up, but he wants to bring his lady too, so it needs more fixing IMO...

Also found one of these inline 6 twin turbo diesel BMWs a handful of ibb guys drive, 400lbft of torque and 40mpg, and chicks dig it:laughing: that's the interim midlife crisis car

I've put maybe 400 miles on it, it's pretty sweet, it has dpf issues that will be a whole lot easier to address once I have a lift...

Found another ran when parked 2wd dent, 460 c6, rust free, but more dented, it's either a someday project, or trading material if there's other old ford stuff I can't find

Now we've got car and truck prices going nuts, inflation on everything else too, my oldest wants to invest her savings while its good. I'd mentioned a 7.3 and a 5spd parts truck earlier, it's a 95 psd 4wd, extra cab long bed. It's a lower mile truck that was on a ranch and rough but solid. I've got a ton of cherry parts stashed, it basically needs time, and a little pocket money to make nice. I think I'm gonna give it to her to work on during the summer, and we'll work on the 79 this fall....it's a more straightforward running driving truck that can be tackled 2 hours at a time

20210226_194818.jpg
20210427_174516.jpg
20210414_114934.jpg
20210414_072436.jpg

Attachments

• 20210320_101714.jpg
    20210320_101714.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
You're asking about parts with all that shizzle on your plate? :laughing:

You got to many projects. AND, you may have a problem. :flipoff2:

Dig the Bimmer!

You're asking about parts with all that shizzle on your plate? :laughing:

You got to many projects. AND, you may have a problem. :flipoff2:

Dig the Bimmer!

Yeah, imagine the cars I don't buy, or don't try to keep:laughing:

I'm still interested in that rolling chassis, as it'd make one of these 2wds an easy enough swap

I'm dragging this up from the near dead:laughing:

Life has been busy, but I've gotten a couple steps closer on this old girl

Big moves probably won't happen until I get power run to my shop for lighting, plasma and 220v welder, but there's some stuff I can do in the meantime.

Time for some bench racing

I picked up a 76ish 5 lug hpd44 from Johnny Longrifle on a Denver trip, with radius arms and a 4wd steering box. 3.50 gears. I'm assuming my 2wd has 3.50 rear, but could be anything I guess. I have 3.54 8.8s here that would work. Or I could regear it, gotta learn sometime

I have an efi 5.8 here, a c6 1356 combo, a 2bbl intake. My understanding is I'll probably need a different t case, like the 97-03 f150 tcase to fit in the narrow frame rails. Then what about speedo drive?

I also understand that the 2wd frames and 4wd frames are pretty different, and will take substantial fab work. Maybe I'm wasting time making a half ton on 33s when I could use super duty axles and run these 37s in my connex....

I have 3.73 05+ axles here.

I have a 97 explorer 5.0 4r70w awd with 185k, but runs strong. I verified its 97, so in theory, no pats, no gtp heads with header issues

So....

If I found 4.30 super duty axles, a front builder link kit, ran this engine and tranny, would I try and track down a np205 so I can keep my speedo, or go with the 97ish t case?

Do I need to get the 97 ecm flashed, or is it early enough that I'm good there?

I have a random though that the explorer cluster would fit behind the 79 bezel and solve some problems. But if it looks like ass, I'm out. Alternative is $700 Dakota digital, I'm too cheap for that

Quick mathing shows I probably need 4.88s to be as fun to drive as a stock explorer on 235s:laughing:

Maybe I find the cheapest elocker rear I can find and gear swap it, hmm

If running sd60 I'd likely go with a set of 5.4 coils I've found, new SD coil buckets, and whatever random Saginaw steering box fits, a builder kit track bar

Does the 5.0 intake clear the factory ac box? I'm not near either truck and can't find a similar swap

If anybody sees any roadblocks here, I'm all ears

Whats wrong with throwing the superduty axles and a divorced 205 under the 3\4T 460 dentside? Have more get up than a 302 and 3.73 with 35-37 would be driveable till you found a 4.30 set to just swap out.

Whats wrong with throwing the superduty axles and a divorced 205 under the 3\4T 460 dentside? Have more get up than a 302 and 3.73 with 35-37 would be driveable till you found a 4.30 set to just swap out.

The thought has crossed my mind, no ac, not a clean truck, trying to not have a million unfinished projects around, but yeah, it still crosses my mind. I might go try and fire it up

FordFascist
I was searching some explorer 5.0 stuff on classic broncos and saw that bottle of jack, remembered you've done a ton of 5.0 efi swaps, maybe you don't mind weighing in...

Starting with 97 explorer, should I be seeking a 205 or 4406? Where is my ecm getting final ratios, trans, t case, or rear end?

FordFascist
I was searching some explorer 5.0 stuff on classic broncos and saw that bottle of jack, remembered you've done a ton of 5.0 efi swaps, maybe you don't mind weighing in...

Starting with 97 explorer, should I be seeking a 205 or 4406? Where is my ecm getting final ratios, trans, t case, or rear end?
I’m in the 4406 / 1356 / NV271 camp if you have the frame width and wheelbase to support it.

I've been all over the map, still haven't dialed in a plan, but it's getting 2011 super duties, 4.30 with elocker :laughing:
20230113_110910.jpg
great score on the diffs! that's like gold, 4.30 and the locker is awesome!! how much for that pallet? also what's up with the yoke on the D60??

Now I'm at a cross roads between the 5.0/4r70w or a 7.3 zf5

The 7.3 would probably include a frame swap which would slow things down, maybe I'll table that for now

great score on the diffs! that's like gold, 4.30 and the locker is awesome!! how much for that pallet? also what's up with the yoke on the D60??

1200 shipped from Montana, couldn't say no to that price, the 430 stuff is hard to find

I had pics before purchasing
The broken yoke was noted "but good" they said they pulled the cover and inspected, I have another diff, 373, I'll be pulling the arms off of, I'll probably swap yokes too. I figure I'll have to check runout on the pinion asap in case I need to dispute it

Now I'm at a cross roads between the 5.0/4r70w or a 7.3 zf5

The 7.3 would probably include a frame swap which would slow things down, maybe I'll table that for now

1200 shipped from Montana, couldn't say no to that price, the 430 stuff is hard to find

The broken yoke was noted "but good" they said they pulled the cover and inspected, I have another diff, 373, I'll be pulling the arms off of, I'll probably swap yokes too. I figure I'll have to check runout on the pinion asap in case I need to dispute it
not a bad price for all that being delivered to you. and still has paint on it! strange that its broken, I wonder what happened to do that :confused:

Damn I feel like that's a great deal for 4.30s shipped. I'd give a nut for some 4.30s in a radius arm front to put on my 02'. Hard to find in my area.

I went looking for "builder kit" for the d60 install, everything is up 50%, I think I'm gonna work around the factory radius arms.

I went with Ruff Stuff arms, before WFO came out with theirs. I'd probably go WFO now.

I went with Ruff Stuff arms, before WFO came out with theirs. I'd probably go WFO now.

When this debacle started, the builder kits were 550, I was digging it. now they're 900, and with a second dent side, and a second sd60, I think I'm gonna get out the cardboard and sharpie:laughing:

Top Back Refresh