What's new

The official KOH week watch party thread.

I will say that Dave certainly has a passion for the race, and wheeling in JV in general. Hearing him talk about the course, or announcing really drives that home. I'm sure there are more professional people or organizations that could take the whole thing over, but I'd be afraid of loosing the spirit of KOH if that ever happened.

My wife didn't want to go out to have beers by the fire with our friends one night after putting kiddos to bed in our RV. She said it was way too cold and windy. I had to remind her: "This is KOH- everything that happens here is gnarly, not just the trails. That includes drinking by the fire." She saw the light and came out(after firing up her heated jack and grabbing gloves). But that makes me think- maybe that's the charm of KOH- it all IS gnarly. That means the trails, the wind, the cold, the dust, the insane speeds the ultra 3 guys are hitting on a tiny berm track, the drunk yahoos on chunder, getting stuck in line on boone rd, trying to chase down the RV pumper dude, going on a parts run to Landers or Yucca Valley.... and add to that maybe the sometimes angry/unprofessional event promoter or fawked up course maps. If it was all easy peasy, then everyone could do it. What makes KOH badass are the challenges. Maybe Dave is just one of those challenges.

For sure.

I don't think I'll go back as a general spectator, it seems you've got the right idea to keep away from the crowds. Maybe in a year or two.
Having never been, I'd definitely say I will stay away from the general crowds, if I make it out.

Having never been, I'd definitely say I will stay away from the general crowds, if I make it out.
If you've never been to the Mojave Desert, it should be a bucket list thing. Death Valley is another. And as far as the west is concerned, Moab. Rubicon, Fordyce, Sand Hollow, Dumont or any number of motorsports destinations out West.

Unlike those uppity fucks from Texas, you're welcome here anytime.

If you've never been to the Mojave Desert, it should be a bucket list thing. Death Valley is another. And as far as the west is concerned, Moab. Rubicon, Fordyce, Sand Hollow, Dumont or any number of motorsports destinations out West.

You guys a LOT of good stuff! Moab was very different than what we have but awesome!

Also a little more sourh- the Anza-Borrego desert is one of my most favorite places in the entire world.

IMG_20191227_150127.jpg

2 sides to the story.
On one side, it's a grass roots race that has turned into a crazy unbelievable event that is probably pretty hard to nail down every possible scenario and make perfect.
On the other side, people spend tons of thousands of dollars and uncountable amount of time to prep and attend this race. If they are going to compete, they want to understand the rules and have them enforced.

After reading tons of social comments pro and con, seems there are 3 ways to handle it.
1 Dave needs to set the rules with no exceptions.
2 Competitor need to realize it may not be perfect and they run the risk of being disappointed.
3 Don't attend and realize with the size of the event, you honestly won't be missed.

Anyone able to find the class 11 race on YouTube? I could only find a 2 minute intro and one had a couple guys pulling into the finish line. Bajavida has a video of their cars but I can’t find the koh race

Anyone able to find the class 11 race on YouTube? I could only find a 2 minute intro and one had a couple guys pulling into the finish line. Bajavida has a video of their cars but I can’t find the koh race
I haven't seen any official video, but this one was pretty entertaining/frustrating at the same time:

The Saturday live feed has it after scrolling forward multiple hours.

You guys see the in car footage of Robby's race? (Not all of it but the desert section and some rocks). That dude drives waaaay better when he's not stressed about winning something. I was impressed with how nicely he treated the car. Felt very un-Robby-like.

If he could apply that method to the B1K I think he's be a threat to win again.

So are the official race results with penalties out and available yet? Saw this story post but haven’t found anything online showing info.

7184C45C-5452-4F0D-90C8-528B0500C748.png

So are the official race results with penalties out and available yet? Saw this story post but haven’t found anything online showing info.

7184C45C-5452-4F0D-90C8-528B0500C748.png
The interesting part about this is that Kevin Jones doesn't really strike me as that type that would purposely try to cheat- he seems to be more in it for the funny and the experience than doing anything he can to land in first place. At that point if you've got people TRYING to follow the course and failing, then maybe there might be a problem.

The interesting part about this is that Kevin Jones doesn't really strike me as that type that would purposely try to cheat- he seems to be more in it for the funny and the experience than doing anything he can to land in first place. At that point if you've got people TRYING to follow the course and failing, then maybe there might be a problem.
Never met him but I get the same opinion of him. Racing the course not racing to cut the course.

10A958EB-0DA1-4A55-B4CB-6DFA683BC38C.png
872D7398-FDF2-4469-9F58-547DA6189C31.png
44F0B4D3-5524-44B6-90E9-46B803864C02.png
088B9B6C-166C-485D-868F-F2E9B292B16A.png
5C0075C5-EF3C-4A6F-BFE5-F5CA3DD9353A.png
306BBCB5-C5F7-40DA-BBD6-7BDC996267D1.png

Last edited:
I was a navigator and we stopped and had a discussion at all the places shown on those screen shots.

The blue line by outer limits was for the stock class, all the other classes made a hard left but the dirt ruts made it look like the blue line was correct.

Same with the 90 degree turns in the desert sections, the dug in ruts cut it short outside of the VCP 75? foot distance limit. So you had to drive out of the main ruts to hit it.

Top Back Refresh