What's new

The light phone

This site can’t be reached

thelightphone.com took too long to respond.

god I hate websites designed like theirs
interesting, looks like the screen is that electronic paper thing that all the e-books use, maybe some emphasis is placed on battery life?

since it looks to advertise a GPS mapping program and functionality as a wi-fi hotspot it makes it seem like it's just a normal phone with the extended functionality disabled in software
ETA: which is great if you're the sort that can't trust yourself with distractions, but my shit only leaves my pocket when it rings (invariably a telemarketer) or to check the time, maybe once a week I'll need to google something real quick, so I'll turn on the prepaid data and use maybe 750 kb

Last edited:
This site can’t be reached

thelightphone.com took too long to respond.
works for me.

[486 said:
;n185147]god I hate websites designed like theirs
interesting, looks like the screen is that electronic paper thing that all the e-books use, maybe some emphasis is placed on battery life?

since it looks to advertise a GPS mapping program and functionality as a wi-fi hotspot it makes it seem like it's just a normal phone with the extended functionality disabled in software

there would be no reason to design your own hardware. Costs too much money.
It uses it's own OS. not controlled by google or apple.

so on the one hand that's great, because we all know that google and apple are data mining the shit out of devices.
on the other, you're reliant on a small startup for any future updates/supports. so if they go belly up in 12 months you're fucked.

the paradox of early adoption.

I really would like to see a properly open source phone OS that didn't fucking suck balls that would break the mobile market monopoly held by apple and google.

i tried the e.foundation one a while back and it was mostly broken.
I may give it another go again.

so on the one hand that's great, because we all know that google and apple are data mining the shit out of devices.
I kinda wonder how much of that they can do on mine, as I've only used 20 mb of my data in the last 1.25 years. I keep that turned off and it seems to actually stay off.
Maybe they just save it in a file and then wait for wi-fi to connect? I connect that maybe once a month while sitting on the shitter...

I dig it, and I like the philosophy of just being a tool, and not a social media time vampire, but for me a device I carry around with me all the time as a tool would need to have GPS. Email would be a huge plus too, but somehow they thought giving it the ability to stream podcasts was more useful to people...? That part I don't get.

There are a few of them around, the Punkt is another. I prefer the Punkt version. You can also get a old style Nokia brick phone if you want a little biut more. I want o get one of the Nokia tough phones for a backup device but they are not out last I looked and seemed a bit spendy.

https://www.punkt.ch/en/

I was going to say something about how self-satisfied that phone seems, but then I thought about my disgust for Microsoft Sync from Ford, and plastic bumpers, and Fuel Management Modules to control distribution between three tanks, and DEF....

Simplicity has a place. (I type on my phone on a BBS)

Can't you just get an iPhone/android and not download any apps?

All this does is remove the option to download apps that have "feeds"

I know it's nice to have an off the shelf option but are any of the open source OS's any good? It seems like the easiest way to get out from under the cosh of big tech is simply to replace it's OS?

I know it's nice to have an off the shelf option but are any of the open source OS's any good? It seems like the easiest way to get out from under the cosh of big tech is simply to replace it's OS?

Yes if you are willing to spend a little bit of time learning how to root your Android phone, basically installing a clean OS https://forum.xda-developers.com/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...guide-t3461054 Rooting with PC requires you to either flash a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM on your phone and then boot into the recovery and flash your root.zip file (or) by simply connecting your phone to your PC and let the rooting program do everything for you in one click or maybe two
tongue.gif
fingers-crossed.gif
. Rooting without PC is a simple android app that roots your phone in a click.

NOTE:
1) ALWAYS TAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR FILES, SMS, CALL LOGS ETC.
2) YOU NEED AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER FOR ANY FLASHING! SOME GUYS SIMPLY ROOT WITHOUT UNLOCKING THEIR DEVICE BOOTLOADER. SO IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG NOTHING CAN BE DONE.
3) YOU CAN TRY WHICH EVER METHOD YOU WANT TO ROOT YOUR DEVICE BUT I WILL ALWAYS RECOMMEND YOU TO FIRST TRY THE ANDROID ROOTING APPS FOR YOUR PHONE BEFORE GOING TO PC STAGE.

Last edited:
hate their website, hate the phone interface, appeciate the low power screen design.

i'll stick with my tiny screen and real buttons and no real internet :laughing:

Seriously BlackBerry's from a decade ago were a better take on this.

Droid OS is the one thing I want to opt out of.

But I need a lot of data. 20+ g of it.

LineageOS (which I linked to earlier) is a vanilla Android install, you choose if you want to add in Google services or leave them off.
Go Motorola and you dont need any of the root stuff linked above (as long as you buy an unlocked phone and not a "Amazon Edition" one).

Aaron Z

Can't you just get an iPhone/android and not download any apps?

All this does is remove the option to download apps that have "feeds"

they also don't track you.

whether you download an app or not, your device is gathering data.
all the time.

they also don't track you.

whether you download an app or not, your device is gathering data.
all the time.

So then why not disable the wifi and cellular data?
That way only phone calls and SMS come in and nothing goes out that you don't want.

Not discounting this new phone, but it seems anyone can make their smartphone into this phone with just a few setting changes.

My flip phone works perfectly fine.

[1-upper] MY rotary dial phone works perfectly fine./[1-upper]

Except when I have to press 3 to go to the parts counter (or wait for operator who never, never, never answers).

Ever notice people without cell phones are like vegans who can't wait for an opportunity to tell you they don't have a cell phone?

The most important feature of any phone (imo) is the camera. Not only do I enjoy taking high quality pics of my kids growing up, it has been more important than the ability to text or call in certain situations.

So then why not disable the wifi and cellular data?
That way only phone calls and SMS come in and nothing goes out that you don't want.

Not discounting this new phone, but it seems anyone can make their smartphone into this phone with just a few setting changes.

Google and Apple record data in the background and use it for their own purposes.
Something like the LineageOS that I linked to earlier does not have that capability built in, you have to add an app store (which generally comes with that data recording "feature" as a part of it).
There are probably others out there, but that's the one I used on my previous phone and was very happy with it.

Aaron Z

Isn't that OVERPRICED for how little it is ? I mean as said above a Blackberry from the second of the the three Bush Administrations does more.
I appreciate the intent but that is a $79 phone at best.

Edit: The battery life sucks. Sucks sucks sucks. Never no way. DROID/Verizon from 2014 is 5 times that. 950 mAh Not sure what my DROID three models ago had but it would last all week five days . . . .

Last edited:
The most important feature of any phone (imo) is the camera. Not only do I enjoy taking high quality pics of my kids growing up, it has been more important than the ability to text or call in certain situations.

which is why I haven't got the NOkia bar hone yet. A 1.2MB camera just doesn't do it.

Top Back Refresh