What's new

The Gambler XJ

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
With our regular Gambler wagon down for a while due to some aggressive driving in the dunes/whoops of northern Michigan, we decided to pick up a beater to run.
Ashke was in town and mentioned he had a 93 XJ at a friends place in west virginia that he would sell me for $500. In the spirit of gambling, I said sure and bought it sight unseen.
When it finally showed up it looked about like I expected. The transfer case was empty and the chain was slipping badly. We pulled it into the shop and put a junkyard t case in so now the 4wd works. We also checked and changed every fluid and tossed out the massive amount of junk in the vehicle. Including an electric stove.

The Jeep had terrible death wobble that started at about 35 mph. Tightening the lower track bar bolt got it to 40 mph. The thing has a good lift and good steering (Steinjager) but at least one of the heims is bad so that may be a factor.
20230715_085558_resized_1.jpeg
20230715_085618_resized.jpeg

Destickered, except for one Scout sticker and all the dumb shit removed from the roof. If I can find the tube of Fuzor I have laying around I will glue some sheetmetal over the holes in the floor so the fumes don’t kill us. anyone have a hvac control head or a cheap locker around? 93 XJ with AC. D35 rear, I think.

We are considering a paint job similar to the one pictured. But done with a roller
20230727_123552_resized.jpeg
1000000739.jpeg

I didn’t know he had 2 cherokees. Maybe it was something else he traded this for back 10 years ago.

I didn’t know he had 2 cherokees. Maybe it was something else he traded this for back 10 years ago.
He traded a really clean XJ for that exocaged abomination 5 or 10 years ago.

Sounds perfect for this shitbox

what was miserable?

Made a mess in my garage and didnt come out looking as good as what people said it would be. Took alot longer than a spray can job too.

I vowed to either use a real spray gun next time or spray paint. Never roller.

Reactions: DMG
I was getting some stinky Renix exhaust in the Jeep so I did a little body work.
20230815_132233_resized.jpeg
20230815_132229_resized.jpeg
20230815_142634_resized.jpeg
20230815_142623_resized.jpeg
20230815_142620_resized.jpeg
20230815_132956_resized.jpeg
20230815_142652_resized.jpeg

It has a bit of the death wobble still so hopefully tightening the loose lower track bar bolt and replacing a rod end on the Steinjager steering kit will help.
20230815_143708_resized.jpeg

What are you using to paint it? Brush, roller, mop? Planning to Rustoleum my pile when the time comes.

What are you using to paint it? Brush, roller, mop? Planning to Rustoleum my pile when the time comes.
Rustoleum with a roller and a brush in tight areas. The texture is not great due to the Jeep being in the sun for hours getting sanded which made it rather hot when the paint went on. And I need the thin it more. but it is a $500 Jeep so I don’t care. Ymmv.

I will cut in the angle properly for the rear when I paint the middle white.

IMG_20230820_180948160_MP.jpeg

HOLY FUCK!!! Is this the Cherokee he traded the scout for????
I didn't trade my Scout for anything. I traded a nice Cherokee for a piece of shit back in march of 2017, the start of my....adventure.
I've owned 9 Cherokees.

The green one you may have seen that DMG posted when I was at his shop before I became a Marine is the one my wife drives.
Destickered, except for one Scout sticker and all the dumb shit removed from the roof. If I can find the tube of Fuzor I have laying around I will glue some sheetmetal over the holes in the floor so the fumes don’t kill us. anyone have a hvac control head or a cheap locker around? 93 XJ with AC. D35 rear, I think.

We are considering a paint job similar to the one pictured. But done with a roller
It's a Chrysler 8.25.

Congratulations on becoming a dad. It’s hard work. Sometimes it’s fun. A lot of times it is exhausting.

Private McBallgargle USMC.
Lance Corporal McBallGarglee, USMC, fuck you.
I will cut in the angle properly for the rear when I paint the middle white.

IMG_20230820_180948160_MP.jpeg
My roommate from a while back sprayed sunblock all over the doors, which is why the doors are dark like over the grayish primer stuff.

Lance Corporal McBallGarglee, USMC, fuck you.

My roommate from a while back sprayed sunblock all over the doors, which is why the doors are dark like over the grayish primer stuff.
Congrats on the promotion, fuck you.

We sanded that stuff off, fortunately.

Missed this thread first time around. Saw it referenced in the MQQ thread in chit chat. Nice job, DMG! Some day I need to get an OBD1 XJ.

But that's not why I'm posting. Would like to give a hint about doing a 'Rustoleum' paint job. I've done it on several vehicles including the Deuce and work trailers.

F Rustoleum and any solvent-based paint. Regular old exterior house paint is what you want:

- Made to go over imperfect surfaces - no one wet sands a house. I never even sand anything, and just wipe down with a dry rag. It can go right over slightly oily or greasy areas.​
- Water-based so easy clean-up.​
- Way less expensive.​
- HD, Lowe's, or Ace will color-match whatever you want. I often get a match to a rattle can color I like so the rattle can can be used for little details or quick touch-ups later on.​
- Just pour some paint onto a flat surface of the vehicle, slop it around with a brush, then hit it with a foam roller to eliminate the brush marks and smooth things out before it flashes.​
- For vertical surfaces, slobber paint on with the brush and then roller it out.​
- Hit any rust or bare metal with a little spritz of rusty metal primer.​
- Keep it out of the rain for a day or two or you might get spots, although they usually disappear on their own.​
- It flashes pretty quickly but can take a few days to fully cure. Once it cures it is almost as tough as CARC.​
- Fuck up? Just to over the area again. Never an issue blending.​
- I use flat, satin, or semi-gloss. Glossy is not as forgiving. If you need more gloss, after it is fully cured rub it down with a 50:50 mix of kerosene and water (shake well). Wipe on, wipe off with two rags. The wetter you apply it the shinier it will be. It lasts a couple of weeks but continues to bead water well after. You can also use Penetrol (which is simply mineral spirits and linseed oil).​
- Penetrol can also be used to protect the patina/original paint/decals/whatever. Also protects against rust.​
- Semi-gloss or satin black is the tits for equipment or trailer frames.​
- I usually stick with Latex but you can get the same products in an oil base if you prefer.​
- It's perfectly feasible to do a small area or a panel at a time since there is no issue matching colors or textures.​

Top Back Refresh