What's new

Testing my new Voodoo V22 Apparition.

That did explain the accuracy potential. Does the high end rimfire ammo ever have any ignition quirks, or funny case issues, or all the other annoyances of cheap rimfire ammo? I'm not sure what faults are inherent to the design of 22lr versus cheap ammo just being... Cheap.
Well the gun is new, but so far no mfgs. The M&P hated Rem Golden Bullets, but it ate everything else.

Badass! Very jealous . Someone’s post , maybe yours had me looking into this a bunch a few months back and I would love to get into it but have no idea if anyone does it local to me . Good luck in your endeavors !

Got the new zero and zero-stop set yesterday, and was hitting steel out to 430 yards. Even with a built in 30MOA rail, I still had to dial up 19 mils to get hits. :laughing: It's stupid accurate at more sane distances, no problem hitting bowling pins at just over 300.

I am being serious.:laughing: was typing on my phone and hit regime, instead of "regimen".

anyway, contrary to stories that have been completely fabricated about me, :flipoff2: i know 22lr is dirty as hell and should be cleaned for prime accuracy since its typically uncoated lead bullets, etc.

on a high end Vudoo barrel, what are you going to be doing for cleaning the barrel and keeping the accuracy you are striving for? or have you not gotten there yet? Did you clean after the 200 round initial settle-in period?
So after the initial use and testing at Capstone my round count was 260, so I cleaned it before shooting the new ammo. The patch came out surprisingly clean, some powder fouling, but no lead or copper evidence. I use the Spartan Accuracy Oil 3 step system.

This reminds me of an older story I read about some guys who built a tunnel in an old warehouse for testing barrels and ammo. I like it.

This reminds me of an older story I read about some guys who built a tunnel in an old warehouse for testing barrels and ammo. I like it.
No, wasn't a tunnel. It was just a big ass warehouse. One of the past bench rest national champions told me about it. He's a gunsmith I've used a couple times. Does mostly ELR stuff these days.

Last edited:
No, wasn't a tunnel. It was just a big ass warehouse. One if the past bench rest national champions told me about it. He's a gunsmith I've used a couple times. Does mostly ELR stuff these days.
Yeah it was a pull through for a cement pipe mfg. You can download the original article here.

warehouse-cropped-1024x550.jpg

That’s it. Somehow I put a tunnel in there. Probably Sierra’s testing lab.

my buddies built one in his shop for barrel testing, 8" tube in a 18" tube, honestly it was a waste of time and money. his new shop has an indoor range, that gets the piss used out of it.

OK, did my ammo test today at the zero range at Cowtown. I forgot to bring my sinclair competition shooting rest, so shot off a bench with a Harris bipod and a rear bag. These are all 10 shot groups, all 40g bullets except the Federal Bulk at 36g. Ammo;

Lapua Center-X (this is the lot I bought direct after the testing) (C-X)
Wolf Extra (made by Eley) (WE)
Federal Gold Medal Match (GMM)
CCI Green Tag (GT)
SK Plus (SK+)
CCI Standard Vel (CCI STD)
Federal Auto Match (AM)
Federal Bulk (FB)
Agulia Super Extra

C-X, WE, GMM, GT, CCI STD are all standard velocity and I used 1.6 mils and a 50yd zero.
SK+, AM, FB, and Agulia were all super sonic and used the bullseye below the impacts as the point-of-aim.

Takeaways? The C-X as expected performed the best, followed by the WE, and then the GT with the CCI STD putting in a good showing with one called flyer. The SK was awful as was the cheap Federal Bulk. The Auto Match was doing great but had one shot about 1/2" high. The Gold Medal Match was a big disappointment, but I might be able tune a better group with the Harrell.

There was a guy there with a 20" FN Patrol shooting Lake City 175g .308 match ammo and his groups were 3-4x the size of mine. He was not pleased. :laughing:

Edit; The group under the SK Plus was the Aguila

1203221124a_HDR[1].jpg

I’m wondering what the course of fire is like shooting 22lr for score in the wind.

OK, did my ammo test today at the zero range at Cowtown. I forgot to bring my sinclair competition shooting rest, so shot off a bench with a Harris bipod and a rear bag. These are all 10 shot groups, all 40g bullets except the Federal Bulk at 36g. Ammo;

Lapua Center-X (this is the lot I bought direct after the testing) (C-X)
Wolf Extra (made by Eley) (WE)
Federal Gold Medal Match (GMM)
CCI Green Tag (GT)
SK Plus (SK+)
CCI Standard Vel (CCI STD)
Federal Auto Match (AM)
Federal Bulk (FB)
Agulia Super Extra

C-X, WE, GMM, GT, CCI STD are all standard velocity and I used 1.6 mils and a 50yd zero.
SK+, AM, FB, and Agulia were all super sonic and used the bullseye below the impacts as the point-of-aim.

Takeaways? The C-X as expected performed the best, followed by the WE, and then the GT with the CCI STD putting in a good showing with one called flyer. The SK was awful as was the cheap Federal Bulk. The Auto Match was doing great but had one shot about 1/2" high. The Gold Medal Match was a big disappointment, but I might be able tune a better group with the Harrell.

There was a guy there with a 20" FN Patrol shooting Lake City 175g .308 match ammo and his groups were 3-4x the size of mine. He was not pleased. :laughing:

Edit; The group under the SK Plus was the Aguila

1203221124a_HDR[1].jpg
You can send me your unused automatch. I run it for Icore 22 as it extracts the cleanest and most consistent and speed is more important than dead nuts accuracy

Should have had a target for thunderdud, with only 4 of the 10 rounds even going off :laughing:

You can send me your unused automatch. I run it for Icore 22 as it extracts the cleanest and most consistent and speed is more important than dead nuts accuracy
I bought a 3250ct case of it several years ago and still have most of it. It shot well enough in the VooDoo that I can use it as training ammo.

Should have had a target for thunderdud, with only 4 of the 10 rounds even going off :laughing:

Remington Thundertrash? My sbr eats that shit up.

Well at my first NRL22 match with this gun I had problems with the scope, as in having to adjust parallax on every shot. It was a 12 round stage with 4 targets from 46 to 180, and you had to shoot them in order 3 times, so that was a lot of scope fuckery. On my GT's I run the Leupold MK5 HD and can usually get away with just setting for the middle distance, and after looking at the new Zeiss LRP S3 5-25x I made the switch. This scope is fantastic, great Schott ED glass, and a whopping 46.5 mils of elevation, PLUS the potential for another 14 in the reticle.

ZEISS LRP S3 425-50

Well at my first NRL22 match with this gun I had problems with the scope, as in having to adjust parallax on every shot. It was a 12 round stage with 4 targets from 46 to 180, and you had to shoot them in order 3 times, so that was a lot of scope fuckery. On my GT's I run the Leupold MK5 HD and can usually get away with just setting for the middle distance, and after looking at the new Zeiss LRP S3 5-25x I made the switch. This scope is fantastic, great Schott ED glass, and a whopping 46.5 mils of elevation, PLUS the potential for another 14 in the reticle.

ZEISS LRP S3 425-50

literally was looking at that scope 2 days ago.

I haven't done a tracking test on it yet, but I expect it to be balls on. I'll post up the results when I do.
I did a tracking test and it was within 2% of expected, my target wasn't tall enough to go through the full range, but it did fine through 30 mils, which is more than enough for what I'm doing.

With my Ruger Silent-SR finally out of jail, I took the tuner off the VooDoo and replaced it with the Ruger can. Stupid quiet with standard velocity (CCI, Lapua, SK) ammo, and still very quiet with high velocity rounds, (Aguila, Mini-Mags). But the first couple shots at 100yds would be 3-4" higher than the next 8, so using this combo in competition is out, so it's going on the M&P 15/22 even though it's not as quiet as the VooDoo, it's still usable in my backyard.

Silent-SR®

Oh, and here it is with the Zeiss scope, which I've used in two matches now, works as advertised.
0707230803a.jpg

Finally got around to tuning with the tuner-brake. Set up a 50yd target at 50yds and dialed the Harrell to 0 and locked it in place, took 5 shots and true to form, my first shot is always about an inch high and a bit left, and for the rest of the day they'll group great, anyway I indicated that on the target, and the group was good but not great. So i dialed the brake two complete revolutions for a setting of 20, and the group was substantially better, then dialed to 40 and the group had some vertical stringing and a called flyer to the right. The group at setting 60 was much better, but I thought I could improve on it, and you can see how tight it was at setting 80. Brought the zero down .1 mil and dialed the brake to 100, (turns out I only went to 98), and hot damn, now that's a good group, but I'll have to back it up to make sure. Rushed through the next one and it showed, but shot a final 5 shots and it was the ragged hole I was looking for. Oh, and the first round from my first 98 setting group was at the target above, :homer:, but you can see it probably would have been with the other 4 NP.

Then just for fun shot 10 rounds each of Prime 40g lead round nose, 10 rounds of CCI Standard 40g round nose, and finally 10 shots with Aguila Super Extra copper plated round nose. I'm pretty sure if I went through the process, that I could get those other brands to group better.

With the Zeiss scope on it, I can put the center dot in the center of this target and see a perfect ring of white around it. It's a phenonomel optic, and with a 30 MOA base, a 20MOA mount, and 45.5 mils of vertical travel I can dial out past 600 yards without having to hold over. :eek: I've shot it over 400 and could get hits as long as nobody else was shooting around me and I had my ear pro turned up to hear the impact on steel.

0903231112a.jpg

Top Back Refresh