What's new

Talons Garage Bronco Build

Talon2006

Yellow Skull
Member Number
I figured I might stop hijacking 2bb’s thead.

2022 Bronco Wildtrack. Has the bronco buster steering upgrades and a set of my own skid plates.

Next mod is the last mod. I’m gonna leave some teaser photos for now and come back later to fill everyone in.

AF2C4590-5A12-450E-8C5C-6F33CC0E29AA.jpeg
6F6A6343-7965-417E-9602-78740EB0BF85.jpeg
B1524461-822D-4326-902F-474CBA9CBF25.jpeg

Who's portals are those and how do they attach?

Who's portals are those and how do they attach?

Tibus is the manufacturer.

I assume they are using the stock knuckle hub bearing bore to align the boxes and support the load, and also assume they are held on using the stock bearing hub and brake bracket bolt holes. Not many options for mounting when they are designed to bolt to a stock upright.

Install was pretty easy. It was a little time consuming but was not bad at all. We did source new brake lines, and had to cut down the CV axles on the front. The rear got new axle shafts Easy work with a grinder. I do wish I took more photos, but I was kind of busy installing awesomeness.

The big thing was just the time to do it all. First was taking everything apart so I would install the portal boxes. On the front the portals mount to the factory spindle and replace the unit bearing. On the rear it replaces the external bearing that holds the axle shaft in. The portals convert the rear axles to a full float. I went ahead and put some wheel bearing grease on all the bearing surfaces for initial start up.

1119B753-F063-4D59-AD05-9EF4FE04580A.jpeg

Rear box was pretty easy. Slide in the new axle shaft after installing the tone ring, then it bolted right up. From there just throw the case back together. The missing gear is attached to the other side of the case and is the hub.
FDD72A42-D74C-4644-BA3F-E74441063C21.jpeg

Front Box mounted, and ready for brakes and a tire. We also sourced new brake lines front and rear.

FA4CDE04-D4A0-4126-A5B5-7AAD9D47F751.jpeg

New stance! I actually think it was still on the lift. a little bit. The biggest pain in the ass was replacing the brake lines, then bleeding them all out. Not that bleeding brakes is hard... but it just isn't my favorite task.
5A1C1BC2-4881-48D5-882E-73AB2246FDD2.jpeg

I really regret not taking more photos, but it was a mad thrash to get these on as we had planned to go wheeling the next day!

Last edited:
Very interested to see how the stock axles/suspension hold up to the portals. 5.5" seems kind of tall to me, I wonder how hard it would be to lower the stock suspension without completely losing your up travel.

FA4CDE04-D4A0-4126-A5B5-7AAD9D47F751.jpeg

New stance! I actually think it was still on the lift. a little bit. The biggest pain in the ass was replacing the brake lines, then bleeding them all out. Not that bleeding brakes is hard... but it just isn't my favorite task.
5A1C1BC2-4881-48D5-882E-73AB2246FDD2.jpeg

I really regret not taking more photos, but it was a mad thrash to get these on as we had planned to go wheeling the next day!
nOOB question:
Is the rig streetable with the portals?

How about freeway travel/speed?

nOOB question:
Is the rig streetable with the portals?

How about freeway travel/speed?
Outside of being taller… it’s wonderful. Drives like it is stock. Zero additional noise.

I also don’t have my sway bar connected and it’s still very nimble on the street.

Very interested to see how the stock axles/suspension hold up to the portals. 5.5" seems kind of tall to me, I wonder how hard it would be to lower the stock suspension without completely losing your up travel.

I am not 100% sure on this. The 5.5" really is not that tall IMHO. It was so much fun wheeling. I basically followed a jeep on 40's with my little 34.2's.

If one of the hurricanes in the gulf comes our way and we cancel our scuba trip that our Aluminum supplier is taking us on we will likely go wheeling this weekend!

Doing a nut and bolt check before I go wheeling.

Also working on a brace to help Prevent the axle tubes for twisting.

Attachments

• BC858C7B-498C-4F31-894D-1DB594F613BA.jpeg
    BC858C7B-498C-4F31-894D-1DB594F613BA.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
D6D6B7FE-65EF-4221-982E-1F1CF08D3D5F.jpeg

In the shop today after a long hiatus!

The wife and I are headed to Wolf Caves this weekend in Mason, Texas. Wanted ro
Get the bronco up on the lift and do a few things.
1. Nut and bolt check everything.
2. Install my home made aluminum rocksliders.
3. Install a Milwaukee pack out tailgate mount.
4. Take cool photos to post up!

Looks good, not sure how I missed your build Thread. The stock knuckles scared me in stock form with how thin the are... cant imagine hanging portals off those.

Looks good, not sure how I missed your build Thread. The stock knuckles scared me in stock form with how thin the are... cant imagine hanging portals off those.
Looks good, not sure how I missed your build Thread. The stock knuckles scared me in stock form with how thin the are... cant

Yeah. I saw photos of one that broke but it was a manufacturing defect.

After my first couple of trips Offroad I am not super worried about them. If they seem to be an issue I will make some sheet metal knuckles.

I might just do that anyways.

Top Back Refresh