What's new

Talk to me about exhaust brakes

On a 7.3 if you still had your EBPV guys would wire that up to be a exhaust brake.

Theres the danger of valve float at higher rpms on higher mileage engines with this. I'd have to look them up, but comp cams make beehive springs for the 7.3. When I finally start on my build I intend to use the ebpv valve as an engine brake, but upgrading the valve spring to eliminate any chance of valve float.
Lots of guys have done it and suffered no damage from it. Ymmv.

Theres the danger of valve float at higher rpms on higher mileage engines with this. I'd have to look them up, but comp cams make beehive springs for the 7.3. When I finally start on my build I intend to use the ebpv valve as an engine brake, but upgrading the valve spring to eliminate any chance of valve float.
Lots of guys have done it and suffered no damage from it. Ymmv.
beehive springs are a high rpm thing, less mass in the retainer and moving half of the spring
you're spinning that 7.3 to what, 5k max?
just get some stronger conventional valve springs

so, bringing this back to top.
I put a Pacbrake on my 99 this last weekend. seems to work ok, haven't tried it with a full trailer yet. but, it seems to bleed off the air very quickly, releasing the valve or at least not holding it shut all the way. is that normal to hear the hiss of air out the solonid while the brake is engaging?

Also, don't like how the compressor comes on with the key. is it as simple as wiring in a switch to keep the power off of it until i'm ready?.... IE, after the truck starts? it seemed in early tests when I was installing and wiring it, that the brain really wanted that compressor on early before it would work happy.

Last edited:
On a 7.3 if you still had your EBPV guys would wire that up to be a exhaust brake.

Heavy loads will build enough pressure to bend the butterfly shaft and stick the valve closed. I had to pull over and hammer mine back open in Colorado. It did work well though.

Top Back Refresh