What's new

SV Seeker is on the move

bgaidan

Red Skull Member
Member Number
10 years in the making, Seeker is heading to port today.

1628773786530.png

(In b4 "I hAvEn'E wAtChEd SiNcE tHe ShItTy PrAnK")

This is a cool project. Sadly I have a strange feeling once on the water that boat won’t make a year before something happens to it sinks, fire, runs aground. I think I get this feeling from the company he keeps around to help with this project.

Can’t wait to see her sail!

This is a cool project. Sadly I have a strange feeling once on the water that boat won’t make a year before something happens to it sinks, fire, runs aground. I think I get this feeling from the company he keeps around to help with this project.

Definite possibility. Also possible that she doesn't even make it out of port.

But then again, they've been doing a more with a lot less in third world countries for centuries so I think it stands a decent chance of doing ok.

They're live streaming on FB right now.

Looks like the pilot house took out a fiber or coax line at an intersection. Not sure why they were so far behind, but the vid I saw looked like they were flying. Oops. :laughing:

What was the prank? I generally like the channel, but the videos have gotten a bit more boring lately. We did drive by and see the thing from the street the last time we were in Tulsa. We never went up and helped him work on it, though.

What was the prank? I generally like the channel, but the videos have gotten a bit more boring lately. We did drive by and see the thing from the street the last time we were in Tulsa. We never went up and helped him work on it, though.

Something about blowing himself up. watching the vid, it looked pretty staged, but a lot of people took it to heart and then got super extra butthurt when he revealed it was a prank.

With the following he has he'll probably get bailed out by the public unless it burns and sinks.

Something about blowing himself up. watching the vid, it looked pretty staged, but a lot of people took it to heart and then got super extra butthurt when he revealed it was a prank.
Figured it was staged from the beginning, one thing Pirate taught us was to never take anything for face value. Search of the news didn't turn up any story in the Tulsa area of an explosion and injury. Even as people were commenting it was a prank he carried on, involved a recognized brain doc, talking about the severity of his injuries, and the possibility of him never recovering.
Then he got on and said the reason he did it was to see who his "True followers were" like he was some kind of cult figure.
Girl friend said she went along because he threated to kick her out.

He was forced to by a neighbor who kept reporting him and an inspector who decided he was running a business because he gets donations
Yea, that was bullshit, but sorta unsurprising in this day and age

With the following he has he'll probably get bailed out by the public unless it burns and sinks.
Once he gets done his cash cow goes away. I wouldn’t doubt if something happens he’ll get a big gofund me and then disappear.

You can tell what kind of person he kinda is with that stupid stunt he pulled. I’m hoping I’m wrong but your gut is usually right on the money.

What is this project? I'm completely in the dark here. What's the point of this boat?

What is this project? I'm completely in the dark here. What's the point of this boat?
Some kinda crazy guys dream build. It was built with free hippie manpower and donations.

Dudes a decent fabber he built everything on the boat. Pretty neat watch

Some kinda crazy guys dream build. It was built with free hippie manpower and donations.

So, what's the plan now? Step 1. Build boat. Step 2. Launch boat. Step 3. ????

He's doing some nonprofit stuff where he's planning to rent out discount boat time to biology grad students so they can measure shrimp in the gulf or whatever. It remains to be seen whether that will actually happen.

He's doing some nonprofit stuff where he's planning to rent out discount boat time to biology grad students so they can measure shrimp in the gulf or whatever. It remains to be seen whether that will actually happen.
So, basically his plan was to build the boat because that sounds about as close to no plan as I could imagine for something that took that much time, money, and effort.

They've started the "Seachest Foundation" as a non-profit. The boat will be leased to the foundation for $1 and will serve as a "Free of Charge Research Vessel". It was always designed with research in mind. He even built an ROV from scratch.

Good on him for making it this far.
I have reservation with him actually making it down the river, but hey, he is out there doing it.

like hey says, what have you built today?:beer:

They've started the "Seachest Foundation" as a non-profit. The boat will be leased to the foundation for $1 and will serve as a "Free of Charge Research Vessel". It was always designed with research in mind. He even built an ROV from scratch.
There's gotta be a grift in there somewhere. Sadly, it seems like most "nonprofits" are basically set up as grifts.

There's gotta be a grift in there somewhere. Sadly, it seems like most "nonprofits" are basically set up as grifts.
Gotta be?

Lots of hate for a dude with not a lot to back it up.

Not gonnna say I like everything he's done or the way he's done some things, but it's been an amazing project to watch for the last 7-8 years since I found it and some incredibly talented people involved. Far cooler than just about anything I've seen posted here.

I’ve watched it off and on for a few years and I agree he is a decent fabber. He also figures systems out when installing and commissioning them.

What I didn't like was someone would give him sound advice on any of the numerous systems that he for sure was not an expert on and he would make some smart ass remark and go on.
Some of his plumbing was WTF.
Diesel fuel and NPT fittings with seven plumbers unions on a moving structure is going to get interesting.

Top Back Refresh