What's new

Suspension design concept, will this work?

Team_Jake

Member Number
Loc
Vista, CA
For the last year, I've been designing a cantilever suspension system for my rig. After a ton of research, conversations with pros, and a lot of tinkering in Solidworks, I had most of the details design out, but after seeing the Reulsport vehicle from the Sway Bar Tech thread a couple days ago, my brain has been really captivated by the concept. So I quickly modeled up a different design shown here.

It's like an upside down mezzanine arm, with the coilover mounted upside-down, mounted to the axle instead of the frame. Running with this idea I drew up some things in Solidworks and came up with some pretty consistent motion ratios throughout the travel (min 0.50 and max 0.52), producing ~14.5" of travel from a 2.5x8 coilover. Loading wise, I ran a static simulation on the arm at full bump, made from 1/4" plates it has a factor of safety of 3.5, and it all packages really nicely in the wheel well. My question is, is there any reason why this conecpt couldn't work? Minus the Reulsport vehicle, I've never seen a cantilever / mezzanine style suspension with the coilover mounted to the axle instead of the frame.

The Reulsport Vehicle:
suspension-cantilever-1024x585.jpg

My Design, Ride Height:
BellCrankCapture1.PNG
BellCrankCapture2.PNG
BellCrankCapture3.PNG

Full Droop:
BellCrankCapture4.PNG

Full Bump:
BellCrankCapture5.PNG

Full Articulation:
BellCrankCapture6.PNG

Animation:

Last edited:
Are the cantilevered arms allowed to spin freely on the tube that runs above the axle on the frame?

Why would you want constant motion ratio? Every other linkage design is for rising rate. 35 years of MX bikes has this down to a science.
Because a constant motion ratio behaves most like a standard coilover setup mounted close to vertically and makes tuning easy (I had some long conversations with some guys at Accutune about exactly this, they say as close to constant MR feels the most predictable when driving fast, and I trust their expertise).

Because a constant motion ratio behaves most like a standard coilover setup mounted close to vertically and makes tuning easy (I had some long conversations with some guys at Accutune about exactly this, they say as close to constant MR feels the most predictable when driving fast, and I trust their expertise).
One of the first things I looked at. Constant motion ration is easier to tune. The one that you were studying does not look constant which is hard to see from one picture but they probably have bypasses which can tune per zone.

One of the first things I looked at. Constant motion ration is easier to tune. The one that you were studying does not look constant which is hard to see from one picture but they probably have bypasses which can tune per zone.
Yes, the Reulsport vehicle does have bypasses.

Yeah. I'm really liking this new way of achieving motion ratio, and I think your design is beautifully simple. I'd get to building

Ever since seeing those pics Bebop posted, I've been hooked on the idea as well. I think exciting builds will come from this concept
Glad to know I wasn't the only one geeking out from those pics
🤓

Can you boil this down in layman’s terms for my simple ass?

The initial example from Reulsport looked far more complicated, but his example is pretty simple to explain. Basically take your normal configuration with a shock and separate sway bar. Instead of mounting the top of the shock rigidly to the frame, you mount it half way down the sway bar arm. So as the axle compresses, the shock mount raises in the chassis. As the axle droops, the shock mount lowers in the chassis. Giving ya some pretty sweet motion ratio

Awesome I was getting the jist but that helps. So what’s the ratio of shock travel to suspension travel?

Yes, and each side is independent of each other, or a sway bar could be integrated to run between the two arms.
Ahh, from the pictures it looked like they were connected via that bar …effectively serving as a sway bar.

Do you have anything showing you spring rate data?

Im having a hard time seeing how this thing doesnt just freely colaps without bananas high spring rates.

Do you have anything showing you spring rate data?

Im having a hard time seeing how this thing doesnt just freely colaps without bananas high spring rates.
Installation ratios are installation ratios. This is just another way to setting it up.

Top Back Refresh