What's new

Suppressors

Seubs070

Member Number
School me on suppressors. Recently moved out of the City to a 5 acre lot. Would like to shoot on my property and be able to get rid of coons, woodchucks, etc without the neighbors complaining. As well as the fun factor of a suppressor.

Considering a suppressor for my glock 19 or a 22 suppressor for a 10/22 or possible future 22 handgun purchase. I see some suppressors are able to handle multiple different rounds. Can I get a 9mm suppressor and use it on a 22?

Recommendations on suppressors?

School me on suppressors. Recently moved out of the City to a 5 acre lot. Would like to shoot on my property and be able to get rid of coons, woodchucks, etc without the neighbors complaining. As well as the fun factor of a suppressor.

Considering a suppressor for my glock 19 or a 22 suppressor for a 10/22 or possible future 22 handgun purchase. I see some suppressors are able to handle multiple different rounds. Can I get a 9mm suppressor and use it on a 22?

Recommendations on suppressors?
That's a wide open topic. Yes there are multi-cal suppressors out there, but I've always been more partial to dedicating a can to a platform. I did put my Osprey on my 16" 9mm AR and especially with 147's it was stupid quiet. .22 rimfire cans are stupid cheap, so I'd recommend at least a rimfire can and a centerfire can.

Not trying to be a Debbie-downer and I don't know your entire situation, but, 5 acres seems to be a little smallish for shooting, even with a dedicated backstop. Your "neighbors" will still be able to see you even if they can't "hear" you. Last place I lived was on 4 acres and if the neighbors saw me shooting, the cops would have been there in a heartbeat. Be careful and aware of what is allowed/zoned/legal/etc...

Not trying to be a Debbie-downer and I don't know your entire situation, but, 5 acres seems to be a little smallish for shooting, even with a dedicated backstop. Your "neighbors" will still be able to see you even if they can't "hear" you. Last place I lived was on 4 acres and if the neighbors saw me shooting, the cops would have been there in a heartbeat. Be careful and aware of what is allowed/zoned/legal/etc...
In my case I have a neighbor to the east and neighbor to the northeast. It's a mile through the woods to the nearest house to the west and a half mile to the south. Can legally shoot on my property, but want to be considerate of the neighbors. I also don't plan on regular target practice or anything. Just occasional fun and dispatching of rodents.

Multi cal and a .22 cover a lot of ground.

make that 2x .22 if you have fam that shoots with you.

I've built and bought many suppressors. The three 22lr suppressors I have get shot the most by far. The 9mm suppressor is used sparingly. While my two multi cal suppressors just sit. One on my hunting rifle and the other on nothing.

The reason being is that 22lr suppressors are light weight, super cheap and very effective against all 22lr ammo and platforms they're shot out of.
What’s the legal issues making a suppressor? You just get a tax stamp and then you make it? When you file for the stamp, do you have to tell them what caliper it’s for? Do you have to stamp a number on it?

For that situation I'd use a .223 suppressor on a .22 LR bolt action rifle, shooting subsonic ammo. Just be sure the suppressor is rebuildable for cleaning.

What’s the legal issues making a suppressor? You just get a tax stamp and then you make it? When you file for the stamp, do you have to tell them what caliper it’s for? Do you have to stamp a number on it?
ATF started denying form 1 cans in March. According to them if you are filing paperwork you are already guilty of possessing an unregistered silencer. I have a SilencerCo Sparrow and an Omega 36M. Covers everything from .17 hmr to .338 Lapua. This is the email you will get from the ATF if you file a form 1 for a silencer.
E28748FC-E307-4DBD-9AA4-A0AB3B0F16ED.jpeg

Last edited:
ATF started denying form 1 cans in March. According to them if you are filing paperwork you are already guilty of possessing an unregistered silencer. I have a SilencerCo Sparrow and an Omega 36M. Covers everything from .17 hmr to .338 Lapua.
Can you define “form 1” ?

Along the same lines is there a reasonable can for a 300 AAC that works decent? I see lots of options but this is a side of shooting I'm new to. It'll be going on a 7.5" pistol.

Along the same lines is there a reasonable can for a 300 AAC that works decent? I see lots of options but this is a side of shooting I'm new to. It'll be going on a 7.5" pistol.
Omega 9K

I have a Trash Panda by Q and am waiting on a Banish 30 from Silencer Central. Both are titanium, so pretty light. Trash Panda is 12 oz, the Banish is 10 or 13 oz. The Trash Panda is 1.75" diameter and 7" long, the Banish is 1.5" dia. and 7 or 11" long. The Trash Panda is not serviceable, the Banish is. Trash Panda is full auto rated, the Banish is limited.

Both are around $1000. The Trash Panda seems pretty quiet to me but I'm far from an expert on suppressors.

ATF started denying form 1 cans in March. According to them if you are filing paperwork you are already guilty of possessing an unregistered silencer. I have a SilencerCo Sparrow and an Omega 36M. Covers everything from .17 hmr to .338 Lapua. This is the email you will get from the ATF if you file a form 1 for a silencer.
E28748FC-E307-4DBD-9AA4-A0AB3B0F16ED.jpeg
Huh, do they do a follow up raid to collect your unregistered firearm?

Seems theyve very effectively removed any authority they may have ever thought they had

Huh, do they do a follow up raid to collect your unregistered firearm?

Seems theyve very effectively removed any authority they may have ever thought they had
Not sure about the 3am visit. You should try it out. :flipoff2:

I'm thinking I might start with a 22 can and go from there. What are the options to get a threaded barrel on a 10/22? Buy a new barrel? Send out the current one to get threaded?

Is a trust worth the effort? Seems like a few of the big websites make the trust pretty easy to setup.

I'm thinking I might start with a 22 can and go from there. What are the options to get a threaded barrel on a 10/22? Buy a new barrel? Send out the current one to get threaded?

Is a trust worth the effort? Seems like a few of the big websites make the trust pretty easy to setup.
Trust isn’t worth it unless you plan on letting people borrow your shit.

I've read from a reputable source that they are only denying Form 1's if you list parts or a kit.

Which is in line with the statement from the ATF posted above.

List "raw stock" or "billet" and you should be fine.

I've read from a reputable source that they are only denying Form 1's if you list parts or a kit.

Which is in line with the statement from the ATF posted above.

List "raw stock" or "billet" and you should be fine.
Thats the same as Ive seen. I also saw someone listed no material sourced until after approval.

Did you check it's progress online? My account says "No Saved Items Found", and "No Current Alerts".
I didn’t bother checking. Took 85 days to come back.

Im at 90 or so, and expect it to take longer, but am worried they don't even have my files.

It's such BS.
My friend Kevin is on day 131ish for his efile. He filed mid February.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh