What's new

"super singles" in 17.5 -19.5 for gooseneck retofit

ridenby

Member Number
Loc
Kentucky
Are there any "Super Single" type tires for fitting a gooseneck rather than using duels?

Are there any "Super Single" type tires for fitting a gooseneck rather than using duels?

Yes, you can get 17.5 tires good for 6k ea or more.

The problem would probably be the width of the axles might be a bit narrow for the axles. I'm guessing what you meant was wide tires like the semi guys sometimes use? I am fairly certain those don't exist in for 17.5 or 19.5.

What are you trying to accomplish?

The problem would probably be the width of the axles might be a bit narrow for the axles. I'm guessing what you meant was wide tires like the semi guys sometimes use? I am fairly certain those don't exist in for 17.5 or 19.5.

Here is one for example: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TA69VR.html
17.5, rated for 6k
ridenby if you're looking at super singles for anything other than flotation in soft ground, the reason the semi trucks use super singles is that with the weight they're running they need to have a certain width to get the same capacity as duals to keep the PSI on the roadway below whatever the limit is.
That's why cement mixers and big dump trucks have such a wide front tire compared to most OTR semi trucks, they often have 20k (or heavier) front axles vs the 12k axles in OTR semis.
With the 10K axles, you can't carry enough weight to need the extra width to spread the load out on the road so a "normal" 17.5 tire on a centered rim is plenty.

Aaron Z

Why and what GAWR are axles?
Have not got that far.
Heres a axle kit with the wheels

Yes. I have seen those. Was thinking 10-12 inch wide tires though.

Yes. Had seen the 16 ply , have 14 ply on my bumper hitch trailer. Was thinking of getting trailer with duals and replacing tires with singles.
Here is one for example: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TA69VR.html
17.5, rated for 6k
ridenby if you're looking at super singles for anything other than flotation in soft ground, the reason the semi trucks use super singles is that with the weight they're running they need to have a certain width to get the same capacity as duals to keep the PSI on the roadway below whatever the limit is.
That's why cement mixers and big dump trucks have such a wide front tire compared to most OTR semi trucks, they often have 20k (or heavier) front axles vs the 12k axles in OTR semis.
With the 10K axles, you can't carry enough weight to need the extra width to spread the load out on the road so a "normal" 17.5 tire on a centered rim is plenty.

Aaron Z
Still have the question of why gooseneck trailers have duals if a narrow single will do.

all depends on the style of trailer, intent, CDL, etc.
Explain please. If one tire at each end of an axle will carry 20thou why do most , if not all, have duals? And what would a cdl have to do with anything?

Have not got that far.

Yes. I have seen those. Was thinking 10-12 inch wide tires though.

Don't think they exist, unless you find some wierd ag application.

Yes. Had seen the 16 ply , have 14 ply on my bumper hitch trailer. Was thinking of getting trailer with duals and replacing tires with singles.

again, why?

Still have the question of why gooseneck trailers have duals if a narrow single will do.

Because the singles are expensive, less common, ect.

The nice thing about tandem duals is that you can often get away with cheap tires that you can find anywhere. Some farmers say they flaot a little better than triple singles also

Explain please. If one tire at each end of an axle will carry 20thou why do most , if not all, have duals? And what would a cdl have to do with anything?
Redundancy, tires last longer, cheaper, safer.

Some of the megas run the singles for fuel savings. Even 0.25 mpg adds up on 50,000,000 miles

Explain please. If one tire at each end of an axle will carry 20thou why do most , if not all, have duals?
IMO (in addition to redundancy), it started before 17.5/19.5 tires were common.

And what would a cdl have to do with anything?
If the truck GVWR+trailer GVWR (ie: GCWR) is over 26k and the trailer GVWR is over 10k a CDL is required.
If it has duals the trailer is obviously over 10k GVWR.
If it has single 17.5/19.5 tires it may or may not be over 10k GVWR, you might just want too much tire for the trailer to avoid blowouts.

If it's a trailer that requires a CDL, you (generally) need DOT numbers on the door and all that fun stuff, so a cop can pull you over just for having a dual tandem trailer and not having DOT numbers.

Aaron Z

you can buy wheels and tires this company offers wheels in 19.5 srw for trailers.
also if you search ebay you can find vision 81 hauler wheels in aluminum.
the only down side i see is cost of a heavy truck tire and wheel .
im currently building a 97 f250 4x4 srw into a dually flatbed farm truck tow pig
and im using 19.5 wheels i have purchased off ebay and other sites they are dually wheels
that camre off of chevy p30 step van or like a bread truck they are duallys and i have about 10 wheels and i have about 3 or 4 sets of tires
iv bought over the years 225\70/19.5 245/19.5 265/19.5 285/19.5 i have a dana 70hd rear going into the truck and already have a dana 60 in the front . just gota put the dually adaptor's on the front bolt the flatbed on and do some welding check that link

Here’s what I came up with 435/50r19.5 is probably the only tire that can work but they’re very wide. Seem to be rated at 9,000 pounds each.

I’m trying to convert a trailer from tandem 8k dexter torsion axles into one 16k lippert axle with leaf springs and that’s all I can find. Trying to ditch the torsion axles because they keep cracking my trailers frame right after the mounting brackets where it flexes.

435s are about 160 pounds each it seems plus rim. $650+++ each tire which is ok but I doubt these tires get stocked frequently on the rack locally.

Haven’t figured out which rim to run with this combo yet.

Here’s an example: 435/50R19.5 20PR L Trazano Trans T All Position | OTRUSA.COM

Just fix the frame. The torsion axle are leaps and bounds above sprung axles. The springs will increase your ride height. If you want single wheel, the 245 70 17.5 has a 6005 lb weight rating and they are readily available. I do not think the 435 50 19.5 is , if you are on a road trip. I can tell you how to fix the frame . What is it made of.

BigBurt what are you hauling? You put majority of the load/weight between gooseneck and axles, rather than over axles? You have your gooseneck height dialed in to have weight on both axles evenly?

I recently looked at an older Dakota brand goose with 10k dexter axles and 12-16.5 single Galaxy 14 plys. I think they were rated at 4800per tire
I liked the idea of them but the rest of the trailer was junk so I passed.

You have your gooseneck height dialed in to have weight on both axles evenly?
Especially if you're currently running torsion axles, unless it's something fancy there is no equalization between them, if your hitch height isn't right one axle is going to carry almost all the load no matter where you put it on the trailer.

Aaron Z

I’m trying to convert a trailer from tandem 8k dexter torsion axles into one 16k lippert axle with leaf springs and that’s all I can find. Trying to ditch the torsion axles because they keep cracking my trailers frame right after the mounting brackets where it flexes.

It's kinda funny to me that you think a single axle will distribute load on your frame better than a tandem axle set. You need to look at how you're loading the trailer, and assess the frame strength for the load you're carrying, rather than put all the load on a single axle.

That being said, post pictures when you convert to a single axle, then a new thread to figure out the real problem once your frame cracks again :lmao:

It's kinda funny to me that you think a single axle will distribute load on your frame better than a tandem axle set. You need to look at how you're loading the trailer, and assess the frame strength for the load you're carrying, rather than put all the load on a single axle.

That being said, post pictures when you convert to a single axle, then a new thread to figure out the real problem once your frame cracks again :lmao:
My single axle on Chevy 63s spans more frame than the tandems it replaced. Yes I know I'm intentionally missing the point. :flipoff2:

On a more serious note, torsion axles are gonna be way worse for frame loading than traditional sprung tandems with an equalizer.

My single axle on Chevy 63s spans more frame than the tandems it replaced. Yes I know I'm intentionally missing the point. :flipoff2:

On a more serious note, torsion axles are gonna be way worse for frame loading than traditional sprung tandems with an equalizer.

More frame rail length under the axle set with springs sure, but the force is more concentrated in the contact areas. Tandem axle torsions have what, 16" of frame contact per side (2x frame brackets, 8" long or so) vs tandem spring ones, have maybe 6" of frame contact per side (3x 2" long hangers) unless you're using slippers.

I'm not sure which one is better for the frame, but that's not this guy's problem anyway :grinpimp:

More frame rail length under the axle set with springs sure, but the force is more concentrated in the contact areas. Tandem axle torsions have what, 16" of frame contact per side (2x frame brackets, 8" long or so) vs tandem spring ones, have maybe 6" of frame contact per side (3x 2" long hangers) unless you're using slippers.
You're not kinking the edge of the structural channel shapes they make trailers out of so that doesn't matter IMO.

With torsion axles you've got four points across 40" of the frame supported wheras with a tandem you've got six points over 60" so the load on the beam is more spread out.

I don't think it really matters much in practice but I think if you're right at the margin of breaking shit vs not I'd rather have a spring suspension that equalizes and can let the frame vs a torsion that doesn't equalize and holds the frame rigid where it's mounted because at least on paper that should be a little nicer to the trailer.

i had an equipment trailer i put 19.5 dually on each tire was rated like 5000lbs each. thye trailer only had 2 10k axles 20k.
the truck tires in half sizes 17.5 19.5 have a 12 or 14 ply tread and 6 to 8 ply sidewall they are made out of a very tough rubber and have less rolling resistant's.. they are also heaver than a normal tire requiring a beefer wheel and a higher air pressure . you can run them in duels or single wheel you just need the right wheel check this link wheels and tires also these tires wont go flat like 16s they are heavy duty they also cost a lil more than a normal tire but you get what you pay for on this 100k miles on these is normal wear Boar Wheel - Buy Heavy-Duty Trailer Wheels Online

Top Back Refresh