What's new

Super duty fuel connections

JNHEscher

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Dogwood, MO.
Other than heading to a dealer if and when I get the chance to within the next couple weeks, I'm having no luck at all figuring out the exact connector I need. Thought I'd see if any Ford guys here have gone through this and perhaps found or put together a parts list.

'06 F350 6.0

My inlet line between the tank switch valve and frame-mounted pump needs a new quick connect. Nylon tube OD of 0.410". The steel barb/tube coming off the cover has an OD of 0.370".

I'd gladly use a repair kit that has the quick connect already in the section of tube and a push-to-connect coupler. I'm just not coming up with any that fit the Ford dimensions. Already spent enough times at parts stores going over the hack methods and do not want to cut my tube until I have parts in hand that are a sure fit. Even if I can come up with just the barbed quick connect, I'll pull the old one off the tubing and push a new one in.

20201205_222528.jpg

Pretty sure it's comparable to 5/16".

If you can deal with it being down, chop the end off and throw a barbed fitting in there. That's pre-pump, correct? No pressure on it at all. Having dealt with lots of ford fuel pumps, I can't stand the snap to connect fittings they use.

AutoZone sells a Doorman kit (assorted fuel line repair) that will have a similar connector and a couple of sizes of 18" nylon tubing in a bag. It was about $11-$12. We used one of those and a metal fuel line connector to connect it to the old, rubber portion of the line.

The ends look like this
https://www.autozone.com/fuel-system...ece/193130_0_0
The tubes look like this
https://www.autozone.com/fuel-system...kit/963501_0_0
Fuel line connector
https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delive...2-1/896091_0_0

Don't forget a small hose clamp

I'll check Autozone here. My truck has been down for almost two months now because of the rear axle rebuild. Every clip-on Ford fuel tube end I come up with online says 5/16" return line. The return line, like all systems, is smaller than the feed line. Could be the same size on the steel barb side. I'l mic it.

Parts staff and I were pulling out the steel clip-on style tubes. I checked them with my dial caliper. Same 0.370" OD and 3/8" clip-on plastic connectors would fit, but their plastic tubing was 3/8", measuring a smaller OD than the plastic tubing on my truck.

It is the suction line, pre-pump. I may just run it as it is for now. It was like this before I pulled the pump off, but I didn't realize that it wasn't snapped on. No leaking prior. I pulled the pump off to change the filter, clean out the paint-filled housing, and replace the rusted water drain plug.

I deal with these STC (snap to connect) fitting fairly often and sometimes have to replace the ends. You'll need a tool to press the new end on, I probably have every different tool they sell to replace the ends, the Dorman tool works but sucks just like their parts, the Kooltools one is the best but it's the most expensive, then there are a few other brands available, google is your friend.
The Dorman replacement ends suck, I'd rather cut used OEM connectors cut off from junk cars and reuse them before I use Dorman junk.
Basically you have 5/16 and 3/8 lines on almost everything including that 6.0 truck.

I deal with these STC (snap to connect) fitting fairly often and sometimes have to replace the ends. You'll need a tool to press the new end on, I probably have every different tool they sell to replace the ends, the Dorman tool works but sucks just like their parts, the Kooltools one is the best but it's the most expensive, then there are a few other brands available, google is your friend.
The Dorman replacement ends suck, I'd rather cut used OEM connectors cut off from junk cars and reuse them before I use Dorman junk.
Basically you have 5/16 and 3/8 lines on almost everything including that 6.0 truck.

Definitely would be headed to the U Pull n Pay here. They've been without heavier Ford stuff since the beginning of this year. Surely there's other makes and models that use the same fitting. I might be able to head into town on Wednesday to hunt down the STC ends and test fit them if any parts store has them in stock. I'm not fan of Dorman either, but sometimes that's all there is.

This is the fuel line coupler I'm talking about - https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-oe-solutions-fuel-line-unions/800193/4257426
Pretty much the pneumatic PTC connector with fuel-rated plastics. Hell of a lot easier than the press-in barbed couplers. I pulled a 3/8" PTC coupler out of the package at Oreilly's in Oklahoma and measured an ID for exactly 3/8" OD tubing. I'm not sure why my feed line tubing has an OD of 0.410". The wall thickness can't be much and makes me think any 3/8" barb will fit too loosely.

I don't think I'll get out the take any other measurements until Wednesday. 40-50mph wind all day today and tomorrow. Bit of a tundra out here right now.

The latest. Got a Ford repair kit and a what I guess is a generic end that looks just like the Chrysler 3/8" ends from Dorman. The generic 3/8" end (800-082) fits and clips on perfectly. The Ford 3/8" end (800-063) won't even fit over the steel barb. If I either cut the feed line right at the end on the OE plastic fitting or manage to heat it and slip it off the plastic barbs, I'd say the new generic fitting would press into the OE line pretty well. I'll ponder it.

Edit: Adding to this. At the fuel pump, it's 3/8". From there back, it's 1/4"ish. Steel hard line running along the frame rail is 0.310" OD and all the fittings at the tank valve appear to be 1/4". I can get the same 3/8" generic fittings with 1/4" barbs. Think I'll grab those and fit on a section of fuel hose to crimp between the hard line and plastic fitting and say screw the nylon.

Click image for larger version Name:	20201219_135256[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.2 KB ID:	239637

Last edited:
Definitely would be headed to the U Pull n Pay here. They've been without heavier Ford stuff since the beginning of this year. Surely there's other makes and models that use the same fitting. I might be able to head into town on Wednesday to hunt down the STC ends and test fit them if any parts store has them in stock. I'm not fan of Dorman either, but sometimes that's all there is.

This is the fuel line coupler I'm talking about - https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-oe-solutions-fuel-line-unions/800193/4257426
Pretty much the pneumatic PTC connector with fuel-rated plastics. Hell of a lot easier than the press-in barbed couplers. I pulled a 3/8" PTC coupler out of the package at Oreilly's in Oklahoma and measured an ID for exactly 3/8" OD tubing. I'm not sure why my feed line tubing has an OD of 0.410". The wall thickness can't be much and makes me think any 3/8" barb will fit too loosely.

I don't think I'll get out the take any other measurements until Wednesday. 40-50mph wind all day today and tomorrow. Bit of a tundra out here right now.

I've never used Dorman fitting to connect two pieces of line together, just like anything else that Dorman makes in probably come from Chi-Na, so it's hit and miss, but mostly miss. With the tool the barbed fitting is fairly easy to put on.
The SCT connectors on the end of the plastic line to connect to the steel line are basically 5/16 or 3/8, and there are some 90* ones. The Ford and GM and probably the Mopar are interchangable, you don't need to get them from just a Superduty, cars have the same fittings. When I'm at the junkyard I cut those ends off and save them, I have one of those big organizers full of different end that I have cut off, all free.

There are some different tools that make it easy to push the new ends on, I probably at least 3-4 different tools, I'll try and take a couple pictures tomorrow, then I just have to figure out how to post them.
Like I said when you screw up an end on a fuel line it could ruin your day but if you have the right stuff it's easy to deal with.

Ohreally's on Betty drive has a Dorman 800-085 in stock with my name on it. Gonna grab it tomorrow and use rubber fuel line to connect that to the steel line that runs along the frame. I was thinking the smaller lines further back were 1/4". They're 5/16", or close enough that 5/16" fuel hose will fit. Pretty sure I have some fuel hose in the shed loft. Just a matter of getting to it or buying a foot of new stuff. Need a couple clamps anyway.

I've screwed up my fair share of the nylon lines. Pretty sure they're much cheaper and easier for manufacturers to make, hence they're so common now. I've had a nylon line punctured by gravel twice. Sticking with rubber when the time comes to replace any more.

Finished. Dorman 800-085, about 10" of 5/16" fuel hose, and a couple catapulting hose clamps. No fuss whatsoever.

Appreciate the info given here. This was a stupid simple fix, but my knowledge of these quick connect fuel fittings was too little and I had very few opportunities to head into town to see what was available to fix this.

20201227_133807.jpg
20201227_140145.jpg

Top Back Refresh