What's new

Stupid Law Enforcement stories

They can’t make you wait an extended amount of time for the dog. They have 10 minutes

(Well they CAN make you wait, they have a gun, what are you going to do about it, but it’s not legal and should get tossed in court)

Rodriguez v. United States,

Yes and no. They have as long as it takes to conduct the business they pulled you over for. UNLESS they (legitimately) find something else while conducting the original business. Sitting there making you wait for the dog when their other business should be concluded is a violation of your civil rights.

I got pulled over by a local podunk who tried pulling the same shit. I look close to the shitbag Everstupid described and when I refused a search, Barney was insistent that I was hiding something. He stated we were going to wait for the k9. When he walked back to the car I called his office and had a nice chat with the officers supervisor on the phone. I was laughing when the officer walked back up to my car apologized and said have a nice day.

I have been let off of some serious speeding tickets by just being legit. I have a clean(ish) record, and am professional when dealing with officers. Only real dick head cop I dealt with was my 'incident' on the bike, but even at that he was within his means to be 'upset' - but could have been more professional about it. Eh water under the bridge.

Most of the time if I know I am speeding and see a cop pull out/ make any intention to stop me, I signal and pull myself over. That has gotten me a warning or a seatbelt ticket more than once.

I prob should have been in cuffs a few times, but luckily most of my run ins have been with legit officers.

Usually being nice to a cop gets you out of stuff. If I see the cop pull out or turn around and I know it's me I stop before he has to. I had one ass cop. My jeep was stolen from my driveway a day or 2 before so I was driving my grand national with the tags out. I had this tags just hadn't put then on the window yet. He spun around in my neighborhood and was doing every bit of 50 mph in a 20 to reach me stitting at a stop sign. Cocked a big attitude when I showed him my tags about how he can write me for improper placement ect. Told him well write me that ticket and go find my jeep instead of wasting my time here. His attitude changed real fast after I called him out on his bs.

3 bonehead stories over the years...

First up, I got a warning. I was in HS, and in my old Suburban with a bunch of friends (we were band nerds, not getting into anything). We just picked up my GF and were debating whether or not to go to Blockbuster or to go to one of the girl's houses and just watch one of their hundreds of VHS tapes. We stopped at a T-intersection in the neighborhood at the stop sign, I put it in park, and we debated (right turn was Susan's, left turn was Blockbuster). Finally, it was decided to just go to Susan's place and watch one of her family's vids. I put it in D, put on the signal, and pulled out. There was a hill about 150 feet to the left, and I could see headlights approaching... in a 25 mph zone. The moment I pulled out, the vehicle got airborne over the hill, landed right behind me and damned near plowed into me... then hit the blue lights. Yup, pulled over and harassed a bunch of kids because he was hot-doggin' and jumped his car at night, nearly killing a bunch of teenagers.

Next up... Motorcycle Officer Monty McCurry. I remember this name to this day. He had a buddy of mine pulled over in the church parking lot when he ran out in the street to flag me down into the parking lot. Claimed I was speeding in a school zone. It was February. It was in the 20s outside. I was in a 79 C20 Suburban with CA emissions that hated the cold. It was teacher inservice day, so we were let out at a half day. This dumbass cop thought it would be easy pickin's for his "performance goal" (quota) to pull over random kids. Being a cold-blooded vehicle, I had the TH400 in L1, and was revving the piss out of it to keep it from stalling. The fan was roaring in the cold, but I was going maybe 12 mph, tops. He ticketed me for careless driving, and then claimed in court that I was going 45, accelerated to 60 and made a dangerous pass. The judge knew (small town) what vehicle my family owned, and knew about his penchant for BS ticket to HS kids. It was tossed.

The third was an MP in 1998. I was about to PCS to Korea, so I had been packing my shit all day. I was tired, and I went to bed. It was about 2330 on a Saturday night when everyone in the barracks came banging on my door to take them on a beer run before the 7/11 stopped selling at midnight. I agreed, and three of them hopped in my 4Runner to head out for beer. Coming back to the barracks, I came around the final curve in a 25 zone, where I saw 2 MPs with a car pulled. I slowed further to about 18 mph, and one of them made a u-turn. Coming toward me, he flashed his high beams... I did nothing, you can't bait me that easily. He then whipped around behind me and pulled me over in the barracks parking lot. He claimed I was going 43 mph! He ran my license and it came up suspended, so I was arrested and brought to the station. The entire time, the drunks were cussing and trying to fight the MP, but I kept my cool, got them in the building and went voluntarily. I was pulled from the holding cell after about 20 minutes by the desk sergeant. He said my license was suspended for failure to provide proof of insurance. Having just PCSed from Ft Campbell, he knew TN (where my license was from and my home of record) did not require insurance on a vehicle at the time. He released me, right when all the drunks showed up at the station to protest the wrongful arrest of a safe, sober driver (gotta love drunk soldiers). As for the 43 mph? The rookie (Private) MP had his early model radar set in stationary mode, so it added his 25 mph and my 18 mph. And the suspension, of course, was some wires crossed with communications, as someone's license number that matched my SSN was suspended in VA, whereas TN didn't use the SSN for a license number, and VA did. So they suspended my SSN and it cross-referenced to my DL number, even though the SSN was the DL number that was suspended. Talk about a monkey-fuck to fix in the courts.

Back in the 80’s I was a kid delivering pizza and had a call to the local military base. SOP at the base gate was the usual, ask what I was doing, which barracks etc. Small town so most of the guards knew my vehicle and quickly let me in without drama.
I go to make a delivery one night and am greeted by a young soldier standing in the middle of the entrance with his rifle pointed squarely at my head as I drove up. I’m thinking WTF?, this is a small town base where nothing ever happens. I tell him I’m making a delivery and he lets me pass.
On the way out the same kid stops me again (never been stopped leaving before this) and the kid profusely apologizes for pointing a firearm at me, I mean he really, really apologizes and lets me out.
Something tells me he got a severe ass chewing while I was making the delivery.

Last edited:
Tickets start at $40 for up to 10 over where the limit is 80mph, 70mph and less it's $20 for up to 10 over, doubles every 10mph more. 90 in a 70 is $40 and I think a couple points. Takes 31 points to suspend your license.

​​​​​​Cities have the option to add extra on the fines, still no court costs as it's just a citation with a simple fine.

What state is this driver's paradise? I think Montana used to have no speed limit, or maybe still do.

I have been let off of some serious speeding tickets by just being legit. I have a clean(ish) record, and am professional when dealing with officers. Only real dick head cop I dealt with was my 'incident' on the bike, but even at that he was within his means to be 'upset' - but could have been more professional about it. Eh water under the bridge.

Most of the time if I know I am speeding and see a cop pull out/ make any intention to stop me, I signal and pull myself over. That has gotten me a warning or a seatbelt ticket more than once.

I prob should have been in cuffs a few times, but luckily most of my run ins have been with legit officers.

Running from them Manalapan cops man, I'll tell you what....or what it Freehold? :flipoff2:

Did you ever tell the whole story of that? I remember parts of it from the old Trailer Park, Now that your lawyer isn't in your ear?

North Dakota is pretty cheap for fines...

Montana's cheaper for the most part.

ND was a base fine + $5/mph over.

Montana all highways are 70, all unmarked roads revert to 70, interstate is 75/80 depending on area. Technically there is a 5mph reduction at night on the highway, but it's rarely enforced.

The stupid thing is the truck limit. They're stuck at 65 and create a bottleneck. I know quite a few officers in the hp have been hounding legislature for years to fix it, but government.

Montana's cheaper for the most part.

ND was a base fine + $5/mph over.

Montana all highways are 70, all unmarked roads revert to 70, interstate is 75/80 depending on area. Technically there is a 5mph reduction at night on the highway, but it's rarely enforced.

The stupid thing is the truck limit. They're stuck at 65 and create a bottleneck. I know quite a few officers in the hp have been hounding legislature for years to fix it, but government.

First time I went to North Dakota I set the cruise 10mph over and got my doors blown off. First time I’m like damn that guys I’m a hurry. Then it kept happening so I’m like fuck it I’ll tuck in and cruise with them. 105mph clear across the state never did see a cop. Got to Dickinson and the guys at the shop let me in on the fact that nobody pays attention to speed limits there and the fines are dirt cheap.

Top Back Refresh