What's new

Stripping and strippers.

Dethmachinefab

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I've got a machine that needs paint removal and I do not want to sandblast because of grit getting everywhere and stuff getting damaged.

I have no experience with chemical strippers. Most of the paint is on diamond tread plate so it's going to suck. Is it possible to let a stripper sit on it and then powerwash off? I only see folks scraping it off on cars and such.

I need to repaint the red part on the crane. Doesn't look bad here, but I've got an upcoming job where I can't have any peeling paint. I also want it to look good.
20230528_135313.jpg

Anyway, here's the real reason you clicked on this thread.
Screenshot_2016-11-29-12-44-36-1~2.png

Screenshot_2016-11-29-12-44-46-1~2.png

Jasco paint and epoxy remover used to be the shit. Then they made it environmentally friendly and it sucks.

Most of the commercially available paint strippers suck because the government banned the methylene chloride that made them actually work.

Pressure washing will work if you find something that will lift the paint. I haven't had any luck with the new "safe" aircraft stripper removing any paint that's fully cured.

Last edited:
I ordered some stuff of McMaster, will do a test section this week and see how it goes.

I would just use a 8 inch DA with 36 grit. Less cleanup and probably cheaper. Can you remove panels and part? I would just do it in sections and paint as you go.

I would just use a 8 inch DA with 36 grit. Less cleanup and probably cheaper. Can you remove panels and part? I would just do it in sections and paint as you go.
If it was all flat plate that would be the plan. Diamond tread plate makes it impossible. It's all welded except for the hatch doors.

If it was all flat plate that would be the plan. Diamond tread plate makes it impossible. It's all welded except for the hatch doors.

Big wire brush?

Every few years I hit my diamond plate trailer deck with a wire cup on the 9" grinder every few years and than slap on a couple quarts of Rustoleum. It usually looks pretty good and could look much better if I gave a shit and tried a little harder. :laughing:

The chemical strippers seem to work better if you slather it on then cover with plastic wrap to slow the evaporation down. I haven't used any in years maybe the Eco friendly version sucks no matter what.

DAT BARB SUR IS LUKKIN GOOD BUDDIE. ID LIKE TA LAYERDOWN

GOBBLESS BORTHER

Slather on paint with a mop, Ritchie Bros style. Bonus point if there's still dirt and grease under it.

And spray tire shine on it. The kind that smells like bokling CAT piss.

Have seen brake fluid peel paint before..
What century were you in when you saw it? :flipoff2:

I'm pretty sure they solved that shit decades ago. I've spilled brake fluid all over my garbage. If shit's peeling it's sure not peeling fast enough to be useful as a paint stripper. :laughing:

What century were you in when you saw it? :flipoff2:

I'm pretty sure they solved that shit decades ago. I've spilled brake fluid all over my garbage. If shit's peeling it's sure not peeling fast enough to be useful as a paint stripper. :laughing:

Was a couple years ago. Had a big jug of it spring a leak in one of the boxes of a lil 1ton service truck. Hit the truck with a pressure washer at the end of the week and the paint just flew:laughing:

There must be a difference between OEM paint and whatever they slap on a service body. I bet OP has pretty good odds then. :laughing:

Yea the paint on the boxes was far from high end:laughing: Still an interesting conversation with the boss about why a 1/4 of the paint on the pickup was missing

needle scaler?

LoL will just make a mess of the base metal, needle scalers are only for removing really heavy rust, not paint.

I'd be opting for some sort of blasting given the uneven surface.

Depending on the condition of the paint, a needle scaler will knock off a fair amount of paint. It would suck to do it that much though.

Why not give it a good pressure wash with one of those turbo nozzels. An then just paint over it?

Do eggs still peel paint?....
And carry deck paint is more like powder coat than paint from what I remeber..

A pia to remove period.
If I can get down to the original and it's decent I'd be happy to paint over it. It's got two coats of the usual "hey were slow, paint the equipment" job.

If I can get down to the original and it's decent I'd be happy to paint over it. It's got two coats of the usual "hey were slow, paint the equipment" job.
You might try one of those abrasive blasters that runs with a pressure washer. Obviously no dust, but still makes a bit of mess....just not a dusty mess.

In my limited experience scuffing up the surface with a wire brush before chemically stripping helps a bunch and covering with plastic wrap so it stays wet and active longer helps too. Id go after it mechanically and then chemically then power wash repeating as necessary.

I'm in commieland so I'm pretty sure anything i have access too is going to suck compared to what you can get.

For diamond plate i'd get a big straight bristle wire cup like this because they are more flexible than the knotted ones:

91+Yd53-heL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For harder to reach stuff a sawzall wire brush can be handy:

51rY2QqpwzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'd 1000% try stripper and plastic wrap then powerwash before manual, but maybe 20 of these wheels would do the job. Got a 13yr old to put to work for free?

1690309904148.png

Those stripping discs are the cats ass on flat stuff but any bump or corner and you waste one in about 5 seconds. If you buy them in bulk they are around $5 each which adds up fast.

Not sure if they will hold up on diamond plate or not. I have found that they strip off mill scale pretty well.

Castrol Super clean will fuck up paint.

Cleaning my Dad's toolbench as a kid, maybe 1995, probably doing a good deed to balance fucking up or wanting something 🤣

It turned the paint into sticky goo. No idea why, I just had a spray bottle and rag.

A few years ago, simple green or purple power did that to my firewood processor. Ended up with white powder film all over and super faded. Was not pleased over that!

I used some of this stuff Citri Strip to remove bed liner and paint on a couple different things. It worked ok, but could have been better. I had to slather it on and then cover it the plastic wrap and let it sit for 24 hours. Then scrape and wire brush it off. It took 3-4 applications to get everything 99% gone.

Top Back Refresh